• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artemis Launch

HorizonsEdge

This is probably a minority position. Humans need a frontier. We are better when there is an unknown drawing some percentage of the population. Where hope and wonder are stimulated. When there is something to conquer besides other humans. At its best it stimulates innovation that trickles down to everyone else while providing a pressure release valve for humanity.

We blew it. We had momentum and faltered. We got the horrible engineering disaster that was the space shuttle and it killed the space program. An alternate reality might have taken us down a more effective path where we would have an off planet foothold. Where gateway technologies like fusion got serious investment. Imagine a world where fusion power was readily available. Where space based resource acquisition and manufacturing were viable. How different our lives might be.

Now we are caught up in inexplicable disagreements about vaccines. Where alternate facts are commonplace. Not the world I grew up in. It saddens me.

Debating the investment is worthy. Is that money better spent on curing cancer? Solving fusion? Those arguments have merit as do many others. In my lifetime, I would have said we could do both under the right circumstances. We have not been those people in a long time. We allowed grievances to fester and become so prominent that they define our day-to-day lives. It is depressing. It feels like we have turned back the evolutionary clock to the dark ages where primary human activity was centered around forcing "the other" to submit to their belief system.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Each Artemis launch costs $12 per US citizen. Scandalous!
Is that a marginal cost? Or an amortization of sunk costs?

Never mind - found it

There are other costs, too. Martin said the $4.1 billion estimate is only for production costs and ground operations, “and does not include development costs required to get the Artemis program to this point in time.”

Quite impressive to be able to burn that much money on each mission.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'll chalk up the American English as suspension of disbelief. Oh and you never want to be a security guy. They are just around to get killed.
1661950554683.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Despite the naysayers above, I have to wonder what the little UFO thingies zipping around are all about...

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Despite the naysayers above, I have to wonder what the little UFO thingies zipping around are all about...

The sightings off the coast of Southern California are within the USSF Western Test Range. More likely than not they are simply experimental UAVs with remarkable flight capabilities. Computer/remote/autonomously controlled, strong lightweight airframe, high thrust-to-weight ratio, and unmanned. Once you take the squishy human out of the cockpit, remarkable things can be accomplished. The DARPA guys are probably pissing themselves with laughter when they read these reports.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
pew, pew... take that, alien scum. Somehow I think Starship Troopers is more accurate.
Talk about a dumb movie. Aliens on the other side of the galaxy shoot asteroids at Earth from their side of galaxy, and they reach Earth within a year or so. Those are damn fast asteroids!

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Talk about a dumb movie. Aliens on the other side of galaxy shoot asteroids at Earth from their side of galaxy, and they reach Earth within a year or so. Those are damn fast asteroids!
Yes, and planet P, where they capture a Brain Bug is on the edge of the system they are shooting asteroids from. So they had pretty fast ships to get Troopers from earth to there.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and planet P, where they capture a Brain Bug is on the edge of the system they are shooting asteroids from. So they had pretty fast ships to get Troopers from earth to there.
That's just warp drive. 1960s technology. No big deal. It was nice that the ship was piloted by Charlie Sheen's ex-wife.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Debating the investment is worthy. Is that money better spent on curing cancer? Solving fusion? Those arguments have merit as do many others. In my lifetime, I would have said we could do both under the right circumstances. We have not been those people in a long time. We allowed grievances to fester and become so prominent that they define our day-to-day lives. It is depressing. It feels like we have turned back the evolutionary clock to the dark ages where primary human activity was centered around forcing "the other" to submit to their belief system.
I don't think the money would be better spent on fusion power (a bottomless pit if there ever was one) or curing cancer (we spend enough on that already), I just think the money on space exploration would be better spent and yield more valuable results if we spent it on machines (space probes, telescopes, robots, etc) rather than transporting delicate humans.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the money would be better spent on fusion power (a bottomless pit if there ever was one)
Bottomless pit it may well be - but eventually it will be cracked, and when it is the BP turns into the horn of plenty.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't be doing space stuff though. We need both.

storing

Forum Donor
I blame Star Trek for feeding the fantasies of manned space flight.
Currently watching 'For All Mankind' it would be tempting to blame this series instead, were it not that it's too recent. Does shed a different light on some discussions in this thread though.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
We need both.
Sure do... many items used daily across the world may not exist otherwise;
Striving for these types of goals fosters innovation and invention.

JSmith

Peterinvan

Each Artemis launch costs $12 per US citizen. Scandalous!
The program total is projected to be $65B. US Population is, say 320M. My math says this $203,125 per US person.

Top Bottom