• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artemis Launch

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is the alternate view we have such problems for this planet we need a second chance on another.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I wonder what DAC/headphone amp they have on board?
I was more concerned about the cables used... oh and opamps of course.
Politicians
Please, let's not drag the thread down with political issues, thanks.
There is the alternate view we have such problems for this planet we need a second chance on another.
I'd be quite interested in living on the moon, Mars etc., where do I sign up? :cool:
The next possible launch date for Artemis-1 is 12:48 p.m. EST on Friday, September 2, 2022. That launch window stretches to 2:48 p.m. EST.

After that another launch window opens at 5:12 p.m. EST and closes at 6:42 p.m. EST on Tuesday, September 5.

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be quite interested in living on the moon, Mars etc., where do I sign up? :cool:

JSmith
Contact Elon for Mars and NASA for the moon.

Keep in mind Elon dubiously keeps promising full self driving (claimed end of this year just today) while so far the only Tesla that seems to be self driving without mishap is the roadster he shot into space. And well with NASA you have the Artemis SLS system what a decade late, over-budget and hasn't lifted off yet.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Blowing up one shot rockets like this for billions of dollars doesn't make sense to me. The motivation for this program was to "create/save jobs after shuttle program was terminated." They don't have the money yet to build the follow ons that would take people to moon. Idea would be to put a "woman and a black person on the moon." All was part of the announcement prior to launch on radio.

If Space-X pulls through, they will have a reusable rocket for this application.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
You missed your first chance...
Yeah I remember seeing that... from what I read in the wiki link though, it didn't go well;
Mars One was a small private Dutch organization that received money from investors by claiming it would use it to land the first humans on Mars and leave them there to establish a permanent human colony. From its announcement in 2012 to its bankruptcy in early 2019, it is estimated to have received tens of millions of dollars. The organization was not an aerospace company and did not manufacture hardware.

Mars One consisted of two entities: the not-for-profit Mars One Foundation, and the for-profit company Mars One Ventures which was the controlling stockholder of the for-profit Interplanetary Media Group that also managed the broadcasting rights. The Mars One Foundation, based in the Netherlands, managed the project. The small organization had four employees, and intended to make profits by selling media (documentaries) about the personnel selection, training and colonization. The first mission was estimated by its CEO Bas Lansdorp to cost about $6 billion as of the 2010s.

The concept had been criticized by scientists, engineers, and those in the aerospace industry as glossing over logistics and medical concerns, and lacking critical concepts about hardware. The concept had been called a suicide mission by academia, the spaceflight industry, and international news. On 15 January 2019, a court decision was settled to liquidate the for-profit company, bankrupting it in the process.

JSmith

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WHAT A WASTE OF SCARCE RESOURCES!

"We need to stay ahead of the Chinese"
"We need to prepare for putting a human on Mars"
"We need to put on a distraction for the voters"

“Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids.
In fact, it’s cold as hell.
And there’s no one there to raise them if you did.”
— “Rocket Man” performed by Elton John
with lyrics by Bernie Taupin
I agree. Human space travel is bunk for a long time yet. The money should be spent on robot probes and more space telescopes. Even a new shuttle program is better than a moon or Mars mission. Especially a Mars mission.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you don't subscribe to that view...
Not really firmly on either side. I mean on a long enough time line another big meteor will strike and kill most/all people. If some people are on some moons or Mars then not all people are gone. Another aspect is global warming. Might end up making life on earth at the very least quite difficult. Or a nuclear war that might damage human life here is possible. So you don't have to have the idea "hey we messed up here, just chunk it and start over" to think having some humans elsewhere than earth is a good thing. Not in favor of trashing this planet and letting posterity deal with it.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really firmly on either side. I mean on a long enough time line another big meteor will strike and kill most/all people. If some people are on some moons or Mars then not all people are gone. Another aspect is global warming. Might end up making life on earth at the very least quite difficult. Or a nuclear war that might damage human life here is possible. So you don't have to have the idea "hey we messed up here, just chunk it and start over" to think having some humans elsewhere than earth is a good thing. Not in favor of trashing this planet and letting posterity deal with it.
I get it, but the list of problems and the magnitude of those problems are so overwhelming at our current level of technology and progress, it will likely be centuries before we could attempt to colonize a planet outside of our solar system. And even if we could, humans need the rest of the Earth's ecosystem to thrive and reproduce in large numbers. For example, IMO, if we're worried about an asteroid we should build a defense system. It'll be orders of magnitude easier to defend the planet than move to a new one. As for global warming, I think whatever the Earth becomes it'll still look like Eden compared to another planet lightyears aways. And even then, it'll still be far cheaper to fix our atmosphere than find and colonize a new one.

I find it very difficult to be open-minded about it. I always come away thinking space travel beyond Earth orbit is bunk. Maybe the moon for tourism, but the morality of expending huge resources on moon tourism is questionable even to a free-market person like me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I blame Star Trek for feeding the fantasies of manned space flight.
I agree. I was a child when the TOS was on network TV. Every manned NASA launch was covered non-stop from launch to splash down. We were going and did go to the moon while Star Trek was on. It was my favorite show. Even then I didn't think I'd live on a starship, but I did think, "that is our future one day".

I sometimes look at distances and energies involved and think no way it can ever happen. Then I think if I had told people in 1900 that we'd have around a million people hop on an airliner and fly all around the world at 400-600 mph every single day. And told them just how much energy that would take. And that it would be if not cheap for everyone something many/most people might do during their lifetime. Then I think it all would have seemed simply impossible. That is without including all the moving about we do in personal cars or the energy that uses. Yet you see how we live.

So maybe it is wishful thinking from my childhood, but I'm not willing to completely write it off and believe no one can ever figure out something to make it possible.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No doubt the universe is filled with humanoids that breathe an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere of 15 lbs / sq inch, live on planets with a gravity of 9.8 m/s^2 and speak English with an American accent.
Of course not. Class M planets had similar atmosphere, mass and gravity that could support humanoid life. Obviously the Enterprise had to stop on planets where this was true. Here are the planet classes:
  • Class D (planetoid or moon with little to no atmosphere)
  • Class H (generally uninhabitable)
  • Class J (gas giant)
  • Class K (habitable, as long as pressure domes are used)
  • Class L (marginally habitable, with vegetation but no animal life)
  • Class M (terrestrial)
  • Class N (sulfuric)
  • Class R (a rogue planet, not as habitable as a terrestrial planet)
  • Class T (gas giant)
  • Class Y (toxic atmosphere, high temperatures)
I'll chalk up the American English as suspension of disbelief. Oh and you never want to be a security guy. They are just around to get killed.

DonR

Major Contributor
Of course not. Class M planets had similar atmosphere, mass and gravity that could support humanoid life. Obviously the Enterprise had to stop on planets where this was true. Here are the planet classes:
  • Class D (planetoid or moon with little to no atmosphere)
  • Class H (generally uninhabitable)
  • Class J (gas giant)
  • Class K (habitable, as long as pressure domes are used)
  • Class L (marginally habitable, with vegetation but no animal life)
  • Class M (terrestrial)
  • Class N (sulfuric)
  • Class R (a rogue planet, not as habitable as a terrestrial planet)
  • Class T (gas giant)
  • Class Y (toxic atmosphere, high temperatures)
I'll chalk up the American English as suspension of disbelief. Oh and you never want to be a security guy. They are just around to get killed.
Kirk also managed to do some serious cross-breeding too. As did Riker in the next series.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I truly hope that NASA can get the Artemis program successfully off on this test flight. Unfortunately, and I say this with great trepidation, the program and its ultimate goal all hinges on technology and vehicles that have little to no chance of materializing in time to meet the current timelines of the program.

Top Bottom