• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 54.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 16 13.1%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power is provided through a 9 volt AC transformer:
Thank you, @amirm ,
I don't understand why this ART device uses an external AC transformer.
It seems that they have figured out how to make quality product at a very reasonable price.
... Then, they shoot their own foot noise-specs by doing the ac-to-dc conversion onboard, which shows in graphs.
I'd venture to guess that they would've saved about a few dBs in power-supply noise, while also saving themselves a few dollars.:(

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Channel balance has nothing to do with tracking bias, that only affects the tracking ability in terms of recorded velocity. The Stylus itself doesn't have much bearing on channel balance either, it's the symmetry of the generator, either the position of the moving magnets (or induced magnets), or in the case of moving coils, the symmetry in winding and positioning in the magnetic field. The orthogonality of coils or magnets will also affect channel separation, as crosstalk is very dependent on both coils/magnets being exactly aligned with the grooves.
Finally, how vertical the stylus is will affect distortion, especially end-of-side distortion for anything other than a conical stylus.

S
Tracking bias can pull the stylus to one side thereby causing the magnet/coil to be off centered. This can cause channel imbalance.

deniall83

Because it was tested at higher input voltage before I standardized on a lower value. That gave it unfair advantage as noise no longer dominates SINAD.
Would you still recommend it based on those differences? Do you think it would be closer to the Solo in terms of performance now or still be better?

audiopile

This really has to be the understood filter for both the DJ Pre II and Precision ART phono preamps -their selling price is remarkable for what they deliver. It's not as though you can't spend more to get more -I have-but it takes a bit of genius to just use what you need to get to a quality product and stop at that point. I think that's what ART has done. Wish more products could hit the good 'nuff /affordable point.

audiopile

tried something the other day : MM input on ART Precision Preamp -Sony Plug in MC transformer used with the Sony XL-MC3 LOMC cartridge (.25 mV ) -adjusted for this combo (IOW-no red flash) -then switched to Denon DL-301-II (.4 mV) -interesting how far I had to turn down the gain control on the ART to avoid the red . I own a number of SUT's -but this re-enforces my experience with them -which is they are anything but universal and one of the pitfalls is it's pretty easy to drive your MM phono stage into overload with a SUT. Ya -got a weakness for visual displays on audio gear.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
tried something the other day : MM input on ART Precision Preamp -Sony Plug in MC transformer used with the Sony XL-MC3 LOMC cartridge (.25 mV ) -adjusted for this combo (IOW-no red flash) -then switched to Denon DL-301-II (.4 mV) -interesting how far I had to turn down the gain control on the ART to avoid the red . I own a number of SUT's -but this re-enforces my experience with them -which is they are anything but universal and one of the pitfalls is it's pretty easy to drive your MM phono stage into overload with a SUT. Ya -got a weakness for visual displays on audio gear.
A SUT can typically add 20 dB or more of gain. Some preamps that are designed to work with SUTs have low gain settings that allow the combo to hit a total gain of 55-60 dB. The lowest gain setting on my Sutherland Insight is 40 dB which works well with a 20 dB gain SUT.

It also has a 10K ohm setting to allow for use with 1:10 SUT with 20 dB voltage gain. The resistive load is transformed by the square of the turns ratio. So, a 10K phonostage loading looks like a 100 ohm load to the cartridge on the other side of the SUT.

Nicholas B

If you look at the current user manual for the ART Precision Phono Preamp, it would appear that the unit now uses a 12V DC supply, rather than 9V AC.

In any case, even if specified as 9V AC for older units, would it not be possible to plug in a DC supply - perhaps more than 12V to take into account losses in the rectifier?

Just asking because I ordered one and want to see what my options are if it is still the 9V AC version. I have an ART Pre II already, but now want all the extra headroom available with the Precision, which is huge compared to the Pre II.

Nicholas B

The version I received requires 9V AC. To answer my own question, no, you can't just plug 12V DC into this unit. I tried different voltages up to 19V DC. When using the required 9V AC plug, the clipping light blinks red, then green, then goes off and you're ready to go. Using DC, the clipping light comes on and stays green, so clearly AC is required for the unit to function properly.

Has anyone tried to modify the Precision for use with a DC supply? I'd imagine that would get rid of the power supply noise. Not that I can hear any noise with the settings I use ...

Jaimo

I just picked up a ART PPP today. Here’s a pic of the innards. I will take a closer look at the power supply when I get some time. From the quick look I took, it looks like the power supply can be easily improved to remove the 120Hz and 180Hz noise.

Attachments

• 837EAFB2-687F-436A-817A-E7D5AF697C54.jpeg
    837EAFB2-687F-436A-817A-E7D5AF697C54.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Top Bottom