• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Art is dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Art reflects society. Society has trans people in it. Get over it.
I rather wished it didn't.

I know homosexual and bisexual people and don't know any trans people.

The sense in which I wish there were no trans people is I wish none felt the need to change themselves. I can't say I understand it.

I also don't think minors should be transitioning. I don't think anyone younger than 25 would have the needed life experience to make a good decision. And to be honest I don't see how anyone could ever make such a decision, but I've already admitted not understanding it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Neo Marxist. Most of this stuff is Marxist informed. I suspect you know the argument, though. And your last sentence is a bait.
Were all past neo-Marxism. This is real Marxism, not that neo stuff:

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best Star Wars is the one where over 400 people each did a 15 second segment which was then stitched together into the entire movie.

I'll one-up you...

Type
Code:
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
in a terminal (cmd on Windows will do) and you get Star Wars... In ASCII!
1605757240746.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
Internet pro-tip: Anytime you see someone non-ironically call something or someone is (cultural) marxism as you can safety assume they have no idea what they are talking about and the opposite of what they are saying is true. It's simply the new cool buzzword for certain political groups for anything or anyone they don't like.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ok so you did understand what I was referring to and pretended not to so you could get to an insult.
No, I meant exactly what I said. It's a classic example of a scare term assigned to some "other". It doesn't have real meaning outside of the group that considers it pejorative. Outside of that cultural bubble, it's meaningless.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The sense in which I wish there were no trans people is I wish none felt the need to change themselves. I can't say I understand it.

I also don't think minors should be transitioning. I don't think anyone younger than 25 would have the needed life experience to make a good decision. And to be honest I don't see how anyone could ever make such a decision, but I've already admitted not understanding it.

Fortunately for everyone, there's no need for you to understand it. There's only a need for you allow others to live their lives just as they allow you to live yours. And if you concede that people should be allowed to do so, then logically it makes no sense to arbitrarily restrict the range of real human beings who get to appear in mass media productions. If trans people could spend the first century or so of the modern mass media era not seeing themselves depicted on screen; if all manner of underrepresented groups could spend decades seeing themselves, well, underrepresented (and consigned to a limited set of roles), then we straight white men surely can muster up the ability to somehow enjoy adventure movies even if a woman happens to be the lead character or there's a black stormtrooper or there's a trans Jedi.

I do share one thing with your stated view, though. I honestly cannot understand how you - and even moreso the folks posting explicitly reactionary thngs in this thread about "cultural Marxism" and "social commentary" in movies - can hold the views you do. But live and let live - it's certainly eye-opening, and the exchange of views is definitely something I find useful for examining my own views and working on articulating them.

Universal Cereal Bus

Correct, but there shouldn't be.

If I want to watch a movie about people fighting each other with laser swords, give me a movie where people fighting each other with laser swords. Leave "social commentary" out of it.
In that case, your argument belongs in a theoretical thread entitled "The Blockbuster is dead."

In this thread, OP is disappointed with Star Wars. IMO, Star Wars can be both "art" and retail consumerism. So I can kind of see the why some people are disappointed--from the perspective that these people are hoping to purchase a product with a given feature set (no trans representation) and they suddenly find out that feature has been cut (absence of no trans representation).

From the "art" perspective, however, the argument is DOA, as is the utility of this thread.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange how this neo marxism has so pervaded the culture. I cannot imagine contradicting the idea of Privilege or the postmodern nebulous "gender identity" in mixed company. They are both rather radical ideas.

For folks so critical of the left's victimhood narrative, it's always amusing to me how folks who articulate rightwing views like yours seem so obsessed with your own victimhood at the hands of PC Police who apparently are lurking around every corner waiting to shout you down or condemn you publicly.

I'll happily compare Marxist knowledge with you - cultural, political-economic, and otherwise - and we'll see who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. In the meantime, I can only conclude that you're engaging in a form of redbaiting, using "Marxism" as a synonym for "stuff I don't like."

So please, explain to us how a trans Jedi is an example of cultural Marxism - and more importantly, how and why that's a bad thing even if it is.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if all manner of underrepresented groups could spend decades seeing themselves, well, underrepresented (and consigned to a limited set of roles), then we straight white men surely can muster up the ability to somehow enjoy adventure movies even if a woman happens to be the lead character or there's a black stormtrooper or there's a trans Jedi.

Interesting fact. Older white males in the US rarely read books in school with a female protagonist, much less protagonist of other races. That was very common across English programs in k-12 in the us.

So they very well can have trouble identifying with anybody that is not their gender and race as the main character.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I doubt you really need to be concerned with it outside of acceptance of the idea....and whether you personally understand it is somewhat moot. As someone who grew up with a closeted gay father....time/distance opens things up outside of usual assumptions.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
snip...
I do share one thing with your stated view, though. I honestly cannot understand how you - and even moreso the folks posting explicitly reactionary thngs in this thread about "cultural Marxism" and "social commentary" in movies - can hold the views you do. But live and let live - it's certainly eye-opening, and the exchange of views is definitely something I find useful for examining my own views and working on articulating them.

Live and let live yes. But if you push movies with virtue signaling aspects that I neither find involving and/or find distasteful, then I'm going to not go to such movies. Get woke go broke.

I've seen movies about such issues that don't seem to be virtue signaling. I'm not sure how to concisely give a definition of the difference. Most of the time recently it is virtue signaling that these unusual representations are being chosen for movie characters. I've got less than zero interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom