• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Art is dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting fact. Older white males in the US rarely read books in school with a female protagonist, much less protagonist of other races. That was very common across English programs in k-12 in the us.

So they very well can have trouble identifying with anybody that is not their gender and race as the main character.
Well at least there was Robert Heinlein's character Friday in a few books.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Live and let live yes. But if you push movies with virtue signaling aspects that I neither find involving and/or find distasteful, then I'm going to not go to such movies. Get woke go broke.

I've seen movies about such issues that don't seem to be virtue signaling. I'm not sure how to concisely give a definition of the difference. Most of the time recently it is virtue signaling that these unusual representations are being chosen for movie characters. I've got less than zero interest in it.

You're certainly free to patronize or not patronize cultural/entertainment productions as you wish. But "get woke go broke" is plainly not supported by the evidence of multiple blockbuster movies and hit TV series. So - as with the original post that started this increasingly sad thread - the implicit opposition you're setting up between (a) artistic quality and authenticity and (b) increasingly diverse character representation is a false opposition. It simply does not hold up to scrutiny insofar as your claim is that increased diversity degrades artistic quality and that degradation can be seen in poor viewership numbers and/or poor market performance for such cultural productions.

So stay home, don't click Buy on the streaming remote, cancel your subscription, whatever. The world will go on turning and lots of people will enjoy lots of different media, including ham-fisted, poorly written junk that I suspect you and I would both agree is junk. But lots of people will also enjoy media whose writing quality, plot plausibility, visual effects, and character development is no better or worse than much of your favorite movies and TV, but which happens to include characters that you don't want to have to see.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well at least there was Robert Heinlein's character Friday in a few books.

I like it. But I don't think it was assigned reading in many US schools. In fact, science section was never assigned when I was in school. That wasn't considered literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom