• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arm cable RCAs into mic pre XLRs

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, for the latter option something like a single run of Van Damme star quad?
Possibly, but star-quad isn't two runs of twisted-pair, it's one run of twisted-four, so there's no attempt to keep the two circuits separate, and crosstalk will be high. You could try one length of screened Cat 5 cable, as that should be thin enough. It has four twisted pairs, so just use any two and ignore the other two.

S

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I believe the MC cartridge has 4 wires for the left and right channels. Each channel needs to be connected to its own input on the preamp, so you would need two RCA to XLR cables.

The single ended input impedance of the TRP is about 16k ohms. The typical source impedance of a MC cartridge is around 100 ohms so using the 10x rule the ideal preamp input impedance would be around 1k ohm. You could try adding a 1k ohm resistor between pins 2 and 1 on the XLR to load the MC cartridge and help reduce the rise in response above 10kHz. You might want to look at what the cartridge manufacturer recommends for input impedance loading.

Let me know how the TRP works out, James. I've used it with ribbon mics and it was excellent.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I wonder if you could help. The AEA TRP has arrived and I've plugged it into my RME ADI-2 Pro FS. I'm getting a really large amount of hiss/noise on both channels when I turn up the Output Level controls. Is that normal?

I've not yet got my cart or tonearm cable sorted so nothing is plugged into the TRP's inputs - is it possible the hiss will go away when something is plugged in?

Many thanks,

James

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A MC cartridge presents a very low impedance to the amplifier, typically something like 10 ohms, so you will get a lot of hiss with an open-circuit mic input. Try shorting out the inputs of the mic pre, that should give you a close approximation to what you'll get with the cartridge connected.

S.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
A MC cartridge presents a very low impedance to the amplifier, typically something like 10 ohms, so you will get a lot of hiss with an open-circuit mic input. Try shorting out the inputs of the mic pre, that should give you a close approximation to what you'll get with the cartridge connected.

S.

Thanks Serge - how do I short the inputs?

intaud

Forum Donor
Serge is correct regarding noise with an open-circuit mic input. Short pins 2 and 3 on the preamp input XLR with a paper clip just to test that the noise is reduced.

Dave

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Thanks Dave. Just to double check before I do any damage, I open out a paper clip and stick one end in the pin 2 hole and the other end in the pin three hole, and repeat for the other channel?

I actually have some spare male XLR cables with the other ends unterminated. Presumably if I plugged those in and twisted together the cables from pin 2 and 3 this would have the same effect?

James

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Dave. Just to double check before I do any damage, I open out a paper clip and stick one end in the pin 2 hole and the other end in the pin three hole, and repeat for the other channel?

I actually have some spare male XLR cables with the other ends unterminated. Presumably if I plugged those in and twisted together the cables from pin 2 and 3 this would have the same effect?

James
Yes, that'll do the same job. If the cables are much longer than your turntable to pre-amp cables, you might get a bit more hum, but it'll give you a fair idea of how much noise you should get with a cartridge connected.

S.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Great - thanks, will give that a go
J

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Yes, that'll do the same job. If the cables are much longer than your turntable to pre-amp cables, you might get a bit more hum, but it'll give you a fair idea of how much noise you should get with a cartridge connected.

S.

Serge is correct regarding noise with an open-circuit mic input. Short pins 2 and 3 on the preamp input XLR with a paper clip just to test that the noise is reduced.

Dave

Thanks Serge and Dave. This evening I tried as you suggested, using the spare XLR cable to connect pins 2 and 3. The result was a dramatic reduction in hiss for both channels. I could still hear hum through the speakers if I turned the mic preamp gain right up, and set the ADI-2 Pro volume to 0dB, but this will be far more gain and volume than I will ever need. At what will be very loud listening levels there was nothing to hear.

I noticed also that if I touched the exposed cable shield, there was a notable drop in hum, so I will need to work out how to ground this setup properly. Still haven't go my head around how to do this. Linn declined to tell me - suggested I go to a Linn dealer and buy a cable instead. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Here is the noise profile with the mic pre at max gain 84dB (one channel only) once digital RIAA had been applied.

Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 19.10.03.png

Top Bottom