• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Argon SA1 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 167 61.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Marijnvp

I've gone out to check this Amp at my local HIFI Klubben store. I listened to some pop and dance music on the B&W 607 S2 connected to the Argon Audio SA1, NAD C328 and Sonos AMP. For me personally the NAD C328 was by far the best at driving the B&W 607's. The difference got especially big when turning the volume up and during bass-heavy parts of songs. The Sonos AMP seemed more on pair with the Argon Audio SA1. When turning the volume up on these 2 amplifiers you could cleary hear distortion coming in pretty quickly. What I mean by that is, the Sonos and Argon Audio seemed to have a difficult time keeping the lows, mids and highs under control and audibile at higher volumes. The NAD kept a very clean and full sound throughout the spectrum even at high volumes, keeping every instrument clearly audible.

The Argon Audio SA1 clearly wins on esthetics (leaving Sonos out of the equation) even though the build material is 100% plastic vs metal for the NAD. I really like the small footprint of the SA1. Eventually I decided to buy the NAD C328 as the listening experience felt way cleaner and 'pleasent' on my ears. But having said that, the Argon Audio SA1 is definetly a great buy considering the current €259 price tag vs the €500 for de NAD (I got a discount, it currently retails for €550). Also the NAD has a sub out, which is a nice extra for me since I own a REL Quake.

ThsM

Got mine last week. I'm torn and can't say if I'll keep it. On one hand, it's a very good looking little amplifier, that has the inputs (two optical) I need/want. On the other hand, I did not get the Samsung smart remote to control the volume of the SA1, which was one of the main reason I ordered it.

Soundwise I have the impression, that my Focal Chora 806 have slightly more base than with the Loxjie A30 (w/o tone control involved). Unfortunately, I don't want that extra oomph, as my speakers sit very close to the wall (due to kids and a puppy dog). The first time I really want some sort of tone control :)

In general, I don't think I did a step ahead in sound quality. I need to get back to the Loxjie for comparison, but out of memory I think the Loxjie was sounding "better". At least more details on the upper end.

So negative (for me):
- Volume not adjustable with the TV remote
- Slight "thump" to the speakers, when turning the amp off
- No tone control (which I knew upfront)
- No sound improvement over the Loxjie (at least at my low listening levels)

Positive
- Good looking
- Auto on/off
- Second digital in
- ?

damirj79

I've gone out to check this Amp at my local HIFI Klubben store. I listened to some pop and dance music on the B&W 607 S2 connected to the Argon Audio SA1, NAD C328 and Sonos AMP. For me personally the NAD C328 was by far the best at driving the B&W 607's. The difference got especially big when turning the volume up and during bass-heavy parts of songs. The Sonos AMP seemed more on pair with the Argon Audio SA1. When turning the volume up on these 2 amplifiers you could cleary hear distortion coming in pretty quickly. What I mean by that is, the Sonos and Argon Audio seemed to have a difficult time keeping the lows, mids and highs under control and audibile at higher volumes. The NAD kept a very clean and full sound throughout the spectrum even at high volumes, keeping every instrument clearly audible.

The Argon Audio SA1 clearly wins on esthetics (leaving Sonos out of the equation) even though the build material is 100% plastic vs metal for the NAD. I really like the small footprint of the SA1. Eventually I decided to buy the NAD C328 as the listening experience felt way cleaner and 'pleasent' on my ears. But having said that, the Argon Audio SA1 is definetly a great buy considering the current €259 price tag vs the €500 for de NAD (I got a discount, it currently retails for €550). Also the NAD has a sub out, which is a nice extra for me since I own a REL Quake.

I considered also NAD C328 vs Argon SA1. I decided for SA1, mainly because of price drop due to black friday deals. The amp will be used as secondary system. Now after some days of listening to it I can not complain at all, it is a lot better than TPA3255... Having said that, the normal price of 369€ is not worth it and in that case I would choose NAD C328 also and agree with your observations, but mostly due to the power difference that is almost two times higher on NAD.

Philipp

Forum Donor
He explained that the amp was developed by Argon, and that NAD found it interesting enough to ‘copy’ and sell it in their own packaging.
At least in Germany, NAD and Argon Audio are distributed by Dali GmbH, so its all about product/trademark placement. Dali might think: Why not targeting two different groups of potential customers with the same product? Easy money!
I think they can count on the fact that not everybody will measure the device, Most people love the looks equals to love the sound. Poor people.
Cheers!

nygafre

At least in Germany, NAD and Argon Audio are distributed by Dali GmbH, so its all about product/trademark placement. Dali might think: Why not targeting two different groups of potential customers with the same product? Easy money!
I think they can count on the fact that not everybody will measure the device, Most people love the looks equals to love the sound. Poor people.
Cheers!
100% agree

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Cheers!
You are probably right, but it is sad when devices much cheaper can actually deliver even better performance. So there was nothing stopping them from delivering the same transparent performance in the same price other than laziness / lack of care for their product.

nygafre

I wouldn’t be surprised if the powernode edge have very similiar amp internals as the Argon/NAD too. But that is only speculation.

Last edited:

Philipp

Forum Donor
But that is only speculation.
No need to speculate, read the tech spec and you can see that different components are used.

Philipp

Forum Donor
can actually deliver even better performance
But they do not have the looks, you can‘t have it all in this price range, you must understand that the looks, or choice of different colours and so, are more important than perfect performance in this price range, or choice of input, or simply availability. You can’t have it all for this price. This product is made to look nice, you can be sure that the speakers as Well will be placed where they look nice, not where they sound best, other target group, other rules!
Marketing, product placement in hifi-press-articels, looks, … from this perspective they nailed it for this price, they even sell it for nearly double the price and only change the front panel from plastic to alu (NAD). People who buy this do not want a Aiyima + DAC + streamer on their 4000 € sideboard and the cable clutter in plain view, they just wont have it.

Last edited:

nygafre

That would be true, but Amir had no volume control at all, with an hypothesis that it could be « operator error » I don’t think we have enough to reach this conclusion, but in all case, it should not be like that.
I have no clue, but do this have anything to do with the digital inputs having lower volume (gain?) than the analogue input?

Like when I switch from analogue input to digital, e.g. when watching TV, there is a big drop in volume.

Philipp

Forum Donor
I already wrote back and forth with Argon Audio Service, that they should add gain control to adjust input. they responded friendly, but I do not think they value costumer input/ideas.

nygafre

I already wrote back and forth with Argon Audio Service, that they should add gain control to adjust input. they responded friendly, but I do not think they value costumer input/ideas.
Thank’s for the info!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
your vol. level dropping from analog to digital is normal

this is the same reason why mini hifi systems dropped vol. when moving from cassette to CD... digital just has more dynamic range!

also the support folks at most companies have very little input on the designs of the end product

especially in the case when the stuff has been baked in years ago... and invariably any change has to go back to china and even they have to do a round of beta testing and whatever

I have very mixed feelings about these... ie. compact fairly low priced lifestyle integrated amps

they clearly arent designed for most people here so of course many of us will find them to be... subpar

i'm always surprised when i find a review of these kinds of products anywhere.. most are pretty complimentary because its what hifi but in reality, most arent very good

nygafre

your vol. level dropping from analog to digital is normal

this is the same reason why mini hifi systems dropped vol. when moving from cassette to CD... digital just has more dynamic range!

also the support folks at most companies have very little input on the designs of the end product

especially in the case when the stuff has been baked in years ago... and invariably any change has to go back to china and even they have to do a round of beta testing and whatever

I have very mixed feelings about these... ie. compact fairly low priced lifestyle integrated amps

they clearly arent designed for most people here so of course many of us will find them to be... subpar

i'm always surprised when i find a review of these kinds of products anywhere.. most are pretty complimentary because its what hifi but in reality, most arent very good
Copy that. I figured it had something to to with dynamic range.

I quite like the SA1, but yeah not perfect. The best part is being able to control the ‘master’ volume on the amp directly from the phone when using bluetooth. I had an NAD previously, where you’d had to adjust the volume further by the remote if/when you maxed out the volume on the phone. If that makes sense. Less hassle :)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my feeling about these is that EVERYTHING is fine... but it needs a certain buyer and more importantly, it needs a certain price

eg.

I have something similar to this by Harman Kardon... in fact I have two of them (I liked it so much I bought two amps I dont need)

At $600 us its dumb as dogshit but for $150 I can overlook a lot.

This makes no business case but such is the vagaries of capitalism... sometimes it doesnt work out.

Top Bottom