• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Argon Audio

Basement

Sorry to see this answer; I know it is not officially supported but I think you just took the easy way out.

DLNA/UPNP support is baked in the chipset by the manufactor. As is mp3 for instance. You can't disable either of them.
The only music service that customers can always count on is their own library. Don't underestimate that.

I just saw an opportunity.

I will return the unit.
I can't say if/when Argon Audio will add support for DLNA in SOLO. I'm here as an individual interested in audio. Request for new features should be addressed to Argon Audio directly at [email protected] -I know they take requests for new features seriously.

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
Someone said this is the best unit at its price point. It may be. But here’s another option… The Audiolab 6000N can be had for $300-$350 via Amazon used. I made a Like New - Open Box purchase and it looked brand new and sealed. I compared it against the new Bluesound Node and Wiim Mini. I much preferred the Audiolab while using its onboard DAC and running it into a Denafrips Pontus ii over the Bluesound being connected the same ways. The Audiolab into the Pontus ii sounded best overall. I actually also slightly preferred the Wiim Mini into the Pontus ii versus the Bluesound into the Pontus ii. And, I preferred the Wiim into a Topping E50 versus the Node into a Topping E50.

I wonder if I had a Node dud as many reviewers like the sound. I did not. I thought it was veiled and did not have as wide a soundstage as the other two units. I used it for 3 months, too, connected many different ways with many different settings in the Blusound OS and I couldn’t get it to sound that good. For the amount of features in a small form factor, it can’t be beat. However, the sound is underwhelming and that’s even when using the EQ to try to make up for its shortcomings. IMO the Node sounded better w/o its EQ being activated

I know the Audiolab is slightly more than the Solo, but I think it’s more full featured. I have not compared the Solo versus the Audiolab, but I would love to know which sounds better - with the onboard DAC and plugged into a better DAC.

Last edited:

Opteron

I'm the designer of the Argon Audio SOLO. Feel free to ask if you have any tech related questions.

-Michael
Hi Michael, I bought the Solo 3 weeks ago and am very satisfied. Except for one problem: The Solo loses contact with Google Home every 3 days and is no longer recognised there. The only solution: reset to factory settings and reinstall. Do you know the problem and have a solution?

Basement

Hi Michael, I bought the Solo 3 weeks ago and am very satisfied. Except for one problem: The Solo loses contact with Google Home every 3 days and is no longer recognised there. The only solution: reset to factory settings and reinstall. Do you know the problem and have a solution?
I do not know of this problem. I recommend you get in touch with support [email protected]

Wino

Do the optical and coax outputs work simultaneously? I would like to connect them to 2 DACs and have Plex stream via Chromecast.

Gimbal

Technical specifications at Argonaudios own site states that the solo "supports DLNA".
Is that wrong? Or is it a newly added feature?

VonSten

I would actually need some advice for an upgrade and since one of the possible solutions is Argon Audio Solo I'm gonna ask it here.
Currently, I am running Marantz PM6006 and I do use the onboard DAC. Since I do not have any experience with DACs I do not know which way to go.
PM6006 gets its input either from a laptop via a USB Toslink adapter or BT-Toslink adapter.
Since it's already not the newest amp the DAC onboard is probably a bit outdated. Otherwise, I like the amp and I would like to keep it.
(The DAC and streamer I picked are based on what's actually available where I live)
1) Topping D50s ( input either a laptop or Raspberry Pi )
2) Argon Audio Solo
I know that these two products are not really comparable but I am asking from the DAC point of view.
Would either of the devices DAC-wise would be an upgrade over the onboard DAC of my amp and which of these would actually sound better?
I mostly listen to Spotify and sometimes Tidal and maybe some flac files.

Gga

Hello everyone, I need your help regarding connectivity of Argon Solo.

I am currently buying this streamer and I plan to connect it on my new active speakers (Triangle Br02 BT).

Since I will connect the TV directly to the speakers through optical, I have the choice to connect Argon Solo either with Coax or with RCA to the speakers.

Which connectivity do you suggest? If you have any other suggestion, please share.

Thnx

harrydarwen

What’s the max audio resolution it is capable of receiving Speed Test via Chromecast? In particular, if I play 192/24 on Qobuz and cast on Solo, will I read 192/24 on my DAC connected to it via SPDIF?

Last edited:

TSX

What’s the max audio resolution it is capable of receiving via Chromecast? In particular, if I play 192/24 on Qobuz and cast on Solo, will I read 192/24 on my DAC connected to it via SPDIF?
24/96 in my setup. And no gapless playback

mwlf

Hello,
I just bought an Argon Solo, and i love how it sounds (vs my PC as sound source).
But unfortunatelly, after several minutes of playback (no matter from where i play music - roon, spotify, foobar, spotify from iphone), the streamer enters in standby (red light is on)...any advice?
i've already sent an email tu support.

evert

For €199, would you get the Solo, or the Wiim Pro for €150?

JaccoW

TSX

For €199, would you get the Solo, or the Wiim Pro for €150?
Depends on your needs. I use Roon, so I’d pick the Argon. No Roon on the Pro - yet.

Thanks

D1N0

I'm eyeing this one for the price it is now a better offering than the WIIM I think be it mini or pro, Maybe comparable to the IFI Stream?. So no gapless playback over chromecast. So you need Roon for that? Or is it also possible to use DLNA and the Qobuz app?

Top Bottom