• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1961 Bookshelf review (by Erin)

Doctors11

I don't have bookshelves. When I use MTM center vertically, It seems to be a little better. But the speaker covers the screen, so it cannot be used for a long time. If I use MTM center horizontally, the soundstage is too narrow.
How do you think the MTM center would do vs the bookshelf as the center channel in a 5.1 multi channel music nearfield set up? Usually, but not always it receives the lead vocals and/or lead solo instrument. (SACD, DVD-Audio, BluRay Audio discs)

flight263

How do you think the MTM center would do vs the bookshelf as the center channel in a 5.1 multi channel music nearfield set up? Usually, but not always it receives the lead vocals and/or lead solo instrument. (SACD, DVD-Audio, BluRay Audio discs)
I think the bookshelf is better especially when it's nearfield set up. It does not require a large volume and has the same horizontal orientation as MTM Center standing vertically.

Doctors11

I think the bookshelf is better especially when it's nearfield set up. It does not require a large volume and has the same horizontal orientation as MTM Center standing vertically.
Thanks! I just wish they sold the bookshelf individually. (I asked them...they don't)

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...I intended to share measurements here also with and without absorption panels for SBIR mitigation when I get a minute.
I would be really interested to see before/after measurements that show how effective (or not) these panels are, for behind speaker SBIR. (I'm trying to decide if panels are worth it for me (have a dip at around 100-200Hz).

LikeABossk

I wonder how one of these would work laid on its side as a center. The vertical response upright doesn't look terrible, but I'll be honest...I'm not technical enough to know if this would change if the speaker was on its side.

hdkeith

The key to any speaker, whether you do horizontal or vertical, is understanding the off axis response and positioning and seating accordingly.

damirj79

Looking at the FR graphs it does not look so much better that than for example Argon Audio Alto 5 Mk2 that costs 1/5 the price of this loudspeaker.. Of course we should compare apples to apples, same test procedure and equipment, but on the first look...
aa_alto_mk5_01.jpg

beaRA

Looking at the FR graphs it does not look so much better that than for example Argon Audio Alto 5 Mk2 that costs 1/5 the price of this loudspeaker.. Of course we should compare apples to apples, same test procedure and equipment, but on the first look...View attachment 226681
You need to adjust the y-axis scale to match before making any comparisons.

damirj79

You are of course right, but I don't have them any more. The scaling is not so difficult to do. The most important thig is to compare apples to apples so my graph may be miles away from what Erin would measure.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The quality of speaker isn't determined by on-axis frequency response alone. The massive amount of loudspeaker measurement data that ASR (and others) has recently brought along are awesome. But sometimes I fear the result is that everyone is now a self-proclaimed expert on speakers, and draw all the wrong conclusions.

warpdrive

The quality of speaker isn't determined by on-axis frequency response alone. The massive amount of loudspeaker measurement data that ASR (and others) has recently brought along are awesome. But sometimes I fear the result is that everyone is now a self-proclaimed expert on speakers, and draw all the wrong conclusions.
Absolutely, you can have a pretty good on-axis result and the speaker could still sound like crap due to poor directivity, distortion. I do like the predicted in-room response as it takes into account the spatial and tonal data to give you one graph, but even then your results may vary a lot depending on your room.

hdkeith

I don’t think anyone said the on axis determines quality, it does contribute to how well any speaker may or may not sound to the listener. A person needs to u derstand how to potion speakers and themselves to get the most of their speakers. Any speaker well outside the on-axis area will likely sound less than optimal if not crap.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can you give some examples of incorrect conclusions?

If one looks at on-axis response of a 500usd speaker, then compares it to the on-axis response of a 5000usd speaker, and then concludes that the 500usd speaker must be better in every regard because the on-axis response looks smoother.

Curvature

Major Contributor
If one looks at on-axis response of a 500usd speaker, then compares it to the on-axis response of a 5000usd speaker, and then concludes that the 500usd speaker must be better in every regard because the on-axis response looks smoother.
True.

Although I'd say that kind of thinking has deep roots in the minimally scientific approaches to speaker building in times past and is only being repeated now.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
True.

Although I'd say that kind of thinking has deep roots in the minimally scientific approaches to speaker building in times past and is only being repeated now.

Not sure I understand what you mean by this, can you please elaborate?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There has been a very strong precedent on this forum that (overly) expensive products are generally not worth it.

So I don’t really think it’s a good idea to use price in your example. Specially since none of the speakers mentioned so far are more expensive anyway.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure I understand what you mean by this, can you please elaborate?
He is saying that people post on-axis anechoic response graphs because this is what the audio industry has sold as important for decades, even if it is not a complete or correct scientific assessment and most of the industry doesn’t understand or believe the science.

Jason K

There has been a very strong precedent on this forum that (overly) expensive products are generally not worth it.

So I don’t really think it’s a good idea to use price in your example. Specially since none of the speakers mentioned so far are more expensive anyway.
I think Sigburg doesn’t means that higher price, higher quality. He tried to say that there are also many other things that make the sound qualities. not only on-axis response.

Top Bottom