• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1961 Bookshelf review (by Erin)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I wonder between
Arendal 1723 S vs KEF R3? Which one would you choose based on measurements
They're different things. The Kef has more even dispersion in both dimensions especially vertical. It's also a 3-way. On the other hand, the dual 6.5" woofers in the 1723 will probably let it play louder with lower distortion and Arendal seems to be designing for that.

While I am overall impressed with the 1961 series from Arendal personally I feel the 1723 series are pushing it a bit on price for 2 and 2.5ways. Especially for the MTM centers which I don't like. That said they haven't been on the Klippel so hard to be sure.

If it's not obvious by now I think the R3 is probably better overall but it will definitely reach limits earlier. Whether or not that matters depends on the use case.

nigio

Posted in the other thread too but received no answers. Can anyone please describe which center is considered better horizontally based on the bellow graphs ? 1961 center vs 1723 center.(Assuming 1961 monitor will have same Directivity as tower.)
Arendal 1961 Tower (Sealed) Vertical Contour Plot (Normalized).png
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Posted in the other thread too but received no answers. Can anyone please describe which center is considered better horizontally based on the bellow graphs ? 1961 center vs 1723 center.(Assuming 1961 monitor will have same Directivity as tower.)View attachment 181361View attachment 181362
All of Arendal Sound's centers are 2-way design, which have +-20 deg horizontal directivity, which is good for the "money seat" but no one else sitting to the sides.
Arendal doesn't make 3-way center channels, which is unfortunate.
So the best way to get great horizontal directivity (for your center channel use) is to get one of the bookshelves (or monitor) and place it in the center, but upright, like a bookshelf would be.

Last edited:

nigio

Thanks for your answers. I sent to Arendal an email to ask if 1961 bookshelf can be bought as single unit and not in pairs. Its height is 28.7 cm so it can be placed below the tv without the tv being too high. Thinking of buying a pair of 1961 bookshelves for L/R too, and the result is an insane frontstage with identical speakers , perfect timbre matching and without the problems of MTM center channels.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for your answers. I sent to Arendal an email to ask if 1961 bookshelf can be bought as single unit and not in pairs. Its height is 28.7 cm so it can be placed below the tv without the tv being too high. Thinking of buying a pair of 1961 bookshelves for L/R too, and the result is an insane frontstage with identical speakers , perfect timbre matching and without the problems of MTM center channels.
"This is the way".
Cheers!

Doctors11

I think I posted this before but I emailed them earlier asking this same question and they answered that it is only sold in pairs. I'm glad you contacted them too as the more of us that do this the greater the probability of them offering this in singles.

nigio

Will this speaker be ok for 2m listening distance?

I Did some calculations..
Sensitivity 84 db 1 watt/1m, so 105 db 128 watt/1m , so 99 db 128w/2m.

With 128 Watts of amplification and considering the measurements , this speaker can produce 99 db without compression at 2 meters with a proper crossover at 80hz. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will this speaker be ok for 2m listening distance?

With 128 Watts of amplification and considering the measurements , this speaker can produce 99 db without distortion at 2 meters with a proper crossover at 80hz. Am I missing something?
Only thing is distortion is getting pretty high at 96 dB 1 meter. I dont think they can handle more than 100 watts. Also make sure to crossover to a sub because the receivers high pass filter will remove all that sub-80 hz distortion.

nigio

Only thing is distortion is getting pretty high at 96 dB 1 meter. I dont think they can handle more than 100 watts. Also make sure to crossover to a sub because the receivers high pass filter will remove all that sub-80 hz distortion.
In the specifications it is mentioned that they can handle up to 180 watts.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the specifications it is mentioned that they can handle up to 180 watts.
The 96 dB chart has 10% distortion below 50 Hz and 3% distortion below 90 hz (and doesn't get below 1% until all the way to 300 hz). All I am saying is make sure to use a high pass filter if you are going to push more than 96 dB @ 1 meter because those numbers below 50 Hz are probably right before that woofer is in real distress.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Great photo. Any sense for how’d they do in a desktop (ie, nearfield) setup? I had always assumed a two way with a waveguide was better suited for midfield+, but hope to be wrong.

edit: just realized you “created” the image, so I put my question to the board at large.
Arendal recommend desktop use so long as angled upward or raised to ear height.

Doctors11

I contacted Arendal yesterday asking about the possibility of 3-way centers from them. Here is their reply...

"While I can not disclose what we are working on, this may or may not come in the pipeline sometime in the future. It is likely not something we will be releasing any time in the near future (meaning this year)."

Reading between the lines, maybe we'll start to see these in 2023?

nigio

Asked them today about the possibility of selling 1961 bookshelf as single units and they answered that they are packaged in pairs in one box, so they are not sold separately.
I contacted Arendal yesterday asking about the possibility of 3-way centers from them. Here is their reply...

"While I can not disclose what we are working on, this may or may not come in the pipeline sometime in the future. It is likely not something we will be releasing any time in the near future (meaning this year)."

Reading between the lines, maybe we'll start to see these in 2023?
Who knows? Maybe they will ask from the designer to trickle down the 3 tweeter driver array technology he uses at Perlistens. :p

beaRA

This is probably a bad idea, but hear me out. What if I used 3 of the monitors recessed into a wall for a home theater application? Essentially soffit mounting for a speaker that wasn't designed with that in mind. I imagine Audyssey/Dirac could account for the impact to bass response.
In case anyone else was considering this application, the response from Arendal:

"I think that would be a great idea. As long as you are using an AV receiver to do calibrations because you will get some extra gain in the upper mid-bass region due to it being placed flat with the wall. From a sound perspective, this would be ideal for home cinema use. 1961 Monitor and 1961 Center is the exact same speaker, just difference in where the logo's are placed."

greenpsycho

BTW I got a response from Arendal re: 3 ways:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our speakers.

We are definitely not opposed to 3-way designs. But of course, I cannot tell you anything about upcoming projects.
Our horizontally placed centers still offer a wide enough listening window for most setups at home.
You can see the measurement of that at Audioholics.

Our speakers are designed with music first in mind, but also have the dynamic capabilities you will need for home theater applications.
We have a lot of stereo-only customers.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best regards,
Lukas Moczorodynski
Your Highly Experienced Support Team
EISA winners of Home Theatre Speaker System 2019-2020
EISA winners of Home Theatre Speaker System 2020-2021

I find it interesting that they think they are marketing these as "music first" and with stereo in mind. In all honesty, their website and marketing really seems targeted toward home theater folk and multi-speaker arrangements. Maybe thats just me, but I don't think so. Even most of the reviewers are more geared toward home theater opposed to strict two channel stereo. Just very interesting

nigio

Here is the answer they gave to me when I asked them about their center speakers:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Nikos,

The horizontal directivity of our MTM center speakers is fine in the real world.
It will fit most applications and is not really an issue.
Of course, we are aware of the downsides but we have tested a lot in development and they work great in a typical setup.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response to this:
What do you mean they are fine in the real world? There are measurements that show that they are fine for 15 degree angle. (Vertical directivity of the monitor is the horizontal directivity of the center see attachment.)

In real world and for small distances that's almost only the MLP.
No offence, you make GREAT speakers but you cannot beat the laws of physics.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Their answer :
Hi Nikos,
I mean in real-world scenarios with normal room acoustics and normal listening distances it is very hard to hear a difference between the angles.
We are aware of the measurements and physics.
Of course, it will be an individual thing.
But without testing and hearing it in your room I would not just reject an MTM center.
That is all I am saying.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find interesting is the confidence they have for the MTM thing, that even measurements show that it is not optimal.

greenpsycho

What I find interesting is the confidence they have for the MTM thing, that even measurements show that it is not optimal.

which is kinda weird because their speakers are obviously engineered well (because they measure well), but they are almost saying "eh, normal people can't tell a difference, so its fine" but like...thats why klipsch's and other horrible speakers are so popular, and that's what sets arendal apart. Such a weird stance to take.

Top Bottom