• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1723 vs original Revel Ultimas (2004)

ruzun

I have a pair of Revel Salon towers and a Revel Voice center circa 2004 in my home theater. They work fine but when I audition newer, much cheaper speakers the new ones seem better. I am considering replacing the Revel Ultimas with newer Arendal 1723 towers and center.

Am I insane to think the newer much cheaper speakers will be better? Can someone more knowledgeable please comment on if this is sonething worth doing?

-Roger

OP
R

ruzun

I think my issue was speaker placement. I had the Salons far too close to the corner walls. I moved them out and reran ARC Genesis and it sounds worlds better.

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
I think my issue was speaker placement. I had the Salons far too close to the corner walls. I moved them out and reran ARC Genesis and it sounds worlds better.
I think it comes down t frequency response. I have the 1723 S thx . They sound great, I can listen to Boris Brejeker and Hozho for quite some time. I did see a pair of Focal Shipra on Gumtree for $16000aud. I did fall in love with those beautifully crafted speakers. After doing some checking of frequency response and found that the Arendal tower 1723 S was the same +/- 3db. I don't know if the sensitivity means so much when it comes to quality of sound over volume , but as for value for money quality of build from what I can see the Arendal Speaker has hit that mark with great accuracy.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How far from the back wall did you place them? Are you measuring from the tweeter, or the back of the cabinet? Mine are due tomorrow and I'm mapping the new layout.

OP
R

ruzun

I have them about a 1.25 ft from the back wall and about 10” from the side wall.

Top Bottom