• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you sure?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't miss any accuracy in my tube amplifiers, quite the opposite. I also have no problem with S/N, I can go with my ear to the loudspeaker, there is silence without signal.
For me it is fascinating what excellent results can be achieved with ancient triodes that date back to the very first sound film amplifiers a hundred years ago.

I have demonstrated this more than once e.g. by giving concerts for loudspeakers. On the picture that was in France @ CARMEN - Centre Alsacien de Recherche pour une Musique Electronique Nouvelle.

Well sure, Many audiophiles, here as well, obsess about measurable difference that are aren't likely to be heard under normal listening conditions. Or they just want the 'comfort' of 'knowing' that their gear has stellar measurements, whether they can hear them or not.

Multicore

Major Contributor
The guitar amp is built to produce distortion. Tubes do not generate that amount of distortion when the circuit design is competent as tube designs go.
That's not correct. Plenty of guitar amps were designed to sound clean, many famous Fender amps for example, and turned out to have various creative possibilities later in practice with different pickups, mods, boosters and whatnot. And not all of these creative possibilities produced clearly audible clipping distortion. For example the Baseman produces an interesting compression if you play it just so owing to power supply sag.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not correct. Plenty of guitar amps were designed to sound clean, many famous Fender amps for example, and turned out to have various creative possibilities later in practice with different pickups, mods, boosters and whatnot. And not all of these creative possibilities produced clearly audible clipping distortion. For example the Baseman produces an interesting compression if you play it just so owing to power supply sag.
Bass guitar amps historically were designed to be cleaner. Then came the dirty bass explosion :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tubes have a unique place for guitar amps, the distortion is the characteristic sound of a HiWatt, Marshall, Fender etc. It can easily be about 30% THD. Not hi-fi by any stretch.
That, also did not endure the scrutiny of Science. There is, somewhere in ASR a thread where a person shows that ... same sound can be achieved with SS and some EQ....

High nd Audio has become a design aesthetics. The components have a look. These pleases the eyes, more than they actually please the ears. The differences between a decent tube and a deceent SS are not as marked as they want you to believe... In many instances they sound likely the same .. I haven't verified but, there is a thread here that has some sound clip from SS and from a SET amp .. It is not easy as one would think, to pick which is which
Pictures are better to describe my point...

Here is a superb ASR-reviewed amplifier, capable of driving most headphones on the planet:

DropTHXaaa789-e1573399500919.png

around 4 wpc of pure low THD ... >100 SINAD, perhaps 110 dB

And the Woo Audio Luna.. Pure Class A Tube .. they don't mention its power, not much technical specifications but ..

DSC03510-2.jpg

Even for us ASR'ists. We have to admit this is beauty.. And it costs $8,999.99...

Peace.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
That, also did not endure the scrutiny of Science. There is, somewhere in ASR a thread where a person shows that ... same sound can be achieved with SS and some EQ....

High nd Audio has become a design aesthetics. The components have a look. These pleases the eyes, more than they actually please the ears. The differences between a decent tube and a deceent SS are not as marked as they want you to believe... In many instances they sound likely the same .. I haven't verified but, there is a thread here that has some sound clip from SS and from a SET amp .. It is not easy as one would think, to pick which is which

Here is a superb ASR-reviewed amplifier, capable of driving most headphones on the planet:

And the Woo Audio Luna.. Pure Class A Tube .. they don't mention its power, not much technical specifications but ..

DSC03510-2.jpg

Even for us ASR'ists. We have to admit this is beauty.. And it costs $8,999.99...

Peace.
Well, if I had to choose between these two in terms of looks, I'd go for the black box without tubes.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DSC03510-2.jpg

Peace.
There is DSP available to simulate tube guitar amps. I highly doubt you can get there with just EQ. Often the amps feature sagging screen voltage and other distortion mechanisms.

egellings

Major Contributor
That's not correct. Plenty of guitar amps were designed to sound clean, many famous Fender amps for example, and turned out to have various creative possibilities later in practice with different pickups, mods, boosters and whatnot. And not all of these creative possibilities produced clearly audible clipping distortion. For example the Baseman produces an interesting compression if you play it just so owing to power su

DSC03510-2.jpg

Peace.
Get a couple for the kids!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSC03510-2.jpg

Peace.
True. Then listen with the first box and put the second one unused for beauty and to please the eye ;) First - ear, second - eye.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Bass guitar amps historically were designed to be cleaner. Then came the dirty bass explosion :)
When it comes to clipping distortion, the behavior of the Bassman isn't so different from other early Fender amps. It wasn't a bass amp, it was a combo with speakers and cab beefy enough to work for both guitar and bass guitar. It actually starts to break up at a rather low gain settings, below noon.

My point is that all the amps necessarily had simple circuits and controls that left gain matching to the user. Instrument output varies a great deal depending on the combination of variables including pickup design and manufacture tolerances, magnetization, distance between pickups and strings, and the strings themselves. Then there's the passive volume and tone control RC circuits on the instrument. So for an amp to perform at its maximum clean(ish) loudness for most users, it needed enough gain to do that with weak inputs. So that meant that all amps could be overdriven with other inputs and/or control settings.

So I don't accept the proposition: guitar amps are designed to distort. That came later and became a big deal, of course, but I don't think it was what e.g. the classic Fender amps that so many guitarists love were designed for. That they could be overdriven, more-or-less depending on model and what you plug into it, was a necessary outcome of practical engineering, under the constraints at the time, for the variable inputs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When it comes to clipping distortion, the behavior of the Bassman isn't so different from other early Fender amps. It wasn't a bass amp, it was a combo with speakers and cab beefy enough to work for both guitar and bass guitar. It actually starts to break up at a rather low gain settings, below noon.

My point is that all the amps necessarily had simple circuits and controls that left gain matching to the user. Instrument output varies a great deal depending on the combination of variables including pickup design and manufacture tolerances, magnetization, distance between pickups and strings, and the strings themselves. Then there's the passive volume and tone control RC circuits on the instrument. So for an amp to perform at its maximum clean(ish) loudness for most users, it needed enough gain to do that with weak inputs. So that meant that all amps could be overdriven with other inputs and/or control settings.

So I don't accept the proposition: guitar amps are designed to distort. That came later and became a big deal, of course, but I don't think it was what e.g. the classic Fender amps that so many guitarists love were designed for. That they could be overdriven, more-or-less depending on model and what you plug into it, was a necessary outcome of practical engineering, under the constraints at the time, for the variable inputs.
Certainly some amps were prized for their distortion signature when overdriven. If you want to sound like e.g. Jimi Hendrix, you use that amp.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Certainly some amps were prized for their distortion signature when overdriven. If you want to sound like e.g. Jimi Hendrix, you use that amp.
Absolutely.

Those big Marshalls were the first amps that were designed for that in the sense of being optimized for it: They sound pretty bad unless you turn them all the way up and have a hot guitar.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I never tire of sharing this video of someone who took the Hendrix equipment (and some of his style) and immersed himself completely in it and came up with this, which I love with all my heart and what remains of my hearing's dynamic range given the tinnitus.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speak for yourself. I think it looks daft. A poodle can be a good looking dog but the ones that win prizes at the big shows look daft. Analogy intended.
Not my cuppa either. Trying too hard, or something like that. I do like most DIY efforts, to look at anyways.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

egellings

Major Contributor
Power amps weigh 75 pounds, and you need one for each ear! They'll definitely anchor a boat; no problem. Darn things also manage to sound quite good too. Transformers are a bit overblown, I must admit. I'll never saturate any of that iron, no matter how hard I try, so I can take comfort in that.
The tubes shown in the photo of the amps are KT88s. The amps support KT150s as well, and will do a bit over 200 watts each with those. So yer powah, you got it. They can throw the boat right over the hedge, no problem.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom