• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

...are you stupid as hell or whut...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I disconnect it from the sink and the waste pipe and carefully empty the water out of the trap into a bowl.
I was hoping you were going to tells us how you recycle the water for ice-cubes to use in your margaritas.:facepalm:
Darn brain farts!
Sometimes they can be SBD; other times, LHS/RHS (L/R Hemisphere Sneaks).

I once smashed an expensive cassette recorder during a silly but heated argument...
I don't think my g/f felt any of the pain that only the cassette deck and I experienced.
Oh, yeah! There also was an innocent hammer involved in this stoopid-human-trick.

Who is the dummy-est, now?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not to toot my own horn or anything... but I have established a feasible scheme for perpetual motion. :cool:

perpetual motion solved.jpg

It was so simple. Why didn't I think of this before?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Replacing a washbasin in the bathroom. First job is to remove the waste trap. I disconnect it from the sink and the waste pipe and carefully empty the water out of the trap into a bowl.

I then instantly empty the bowl into the sink from which I have just disconnected the trap. :facepalm:
I've done that twice on the same repair job. It's motor memory combined with stupidity. Me not you, Tony, you only did it once. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to toot my own horn or anything... but I have established a feasible scheme for perpetual motion. :cool:
It was so simple. Why didn't I think of this before?
It must be that inefficient 'mhardy-cycle', when connected to speakers!

TimF

Forum Donor
what ya mean? I just put new batteries in my Topping remote control and everything became more alive. Best sound I've ever heard. The music became much more human. Ya know? I have an idea and I will post a picture of it later. The NAD C 298 is drab like a marble funeral urn. I just got a used on and it was scuffed along the top front edge. I sanded that edge carefully in preparation of repainting it to cover the scuffing. Right now the top edge is bare metal--a fine edge of bare metal, maybe one-eight inch of bare metal on the vertical front, and one-eighth inch along the adjoining horizontal top front, all across the front top. That little bit of exposed metal makes the entire front of the NAD C 298 much more attractive. It gives the box spatial definition. It works and it is a subtle change. See the photo...there is a slim bright metal edge at the top of the NAD amp.

Attachments

• NAD 1.jpg
    NAD 1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 47
  • NAD 2.jpg
    NAD 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've lost count of the number of 5/6 disc CD players I have picked up 'dead' due to someone moving house with the discs inside and they get trapped in the mechanism. One 5 disc pizza tray player had fifteen (15) discs in it. Tell me, how does that happen 3 times? :facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've lost count of the number of 5/6 disc CD players I have picked up 'dead' due to someone moving house with the discs inside and they get trapped in the mechanism. One 5 disc pizza tray player had fifteen (15) discs in it. Tell me, how does that happen?
Was my Olivia Newton-John (ft. Barry Manilow) collection part of those DOA players?:facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've lost count of the number of 5/6 disc CD players I have picked up 'dead' due to someone moving house with the discs inside and they get trapped in the mechanism. One 5 disc pizza tray player had fifteen (15) discs in it. Tell me, how does that happen 3 times? :facepalm:
Indeed.
"Worst case of suicide I've ever seen." ;)

Speaking of CDP seppuku :eek: I think I've shown this grisly image before, but, in this context, I'll... umm... regurgitate it. :facepalm:
One day, years back, on the good ol' swap pile at the good ol' Harvard (Massachusetts) town dump, I espied a handsome silver Sony CDP-111 -- even with its remote (?!). Took it home straightaway but the drawer wouldn't open. I popped the hood and discovered it had choked on its last polycarbonate meal.

CDP-111innards.jpg

Yes, 'twas Kenny G that killed the beast.
:(

Unfortunately, it didn't work after disgorging the CD, either, so I ultimately offered it up to again to the swap pile deities.

CDP-111threequarters.jpg

It's too bad -- it would've been nice to have a "silver-faced" CD player. ;)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Many years ago, I was into budget car rallies. The rules were: no cars worth more than $1000 and no modifications allowed except for removing seats, insulation, air conditioning, etc. to reduce weight, and installation of a roll cage was mandatory. I found someone with a broken down Corolla which he wanted to get rid of. He sold it to me for $1 and I picked it up with my friend's trailer. When I got home and started stripping it out, I found about $20 in spare change.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many years ago, I was into budget car rallies. The rules were: no cars worth more than $1000 and no modifications allowed except for removing seats, insulation, air conditioning, etc. to reduce weight, and installation of a roll cage was mandatory. I found someone with a broken down Corolla which he wanted to get rid of. He sold it to me for $1 and I picked it up with my friend's trailer. When I got home and started stripping it out, I found about $20 in spare change.
This curiously sounds like a page out of the "24 hours of Lemons":rolleyes:

OP
Hapo

Hapo

...just did it again with two 5-disc players...even with the discs out they remain confused...

...I just bought an Onkyo C 7030 (single disc player) and it's been good so far...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...It's too bad -- it would've been nice to have a "silver-faced" CD player. ;)...
What? They did not make silver aerosol spray paints, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet platter?
202303_Variac.png

What manufacturer Variac is that, in one of your photos.
I think I may have fondled a few of these with similar looks... but can't remember...

Dismayed

what ya mean? I just put new batteries in my Topping remote control and everything became more alive. Best sound I've ever heard. The music became much more human. Ya know? I have an idea and I will post a picture of it later. The NAD C 298 is drab like a marble funeral urn. I just got a used on and it was scuffed along the top front edge. I sanded that edge carefully in preparation of repainting it to cover the scuffing. Right now the top edge is bare metal--a fine edge of bare metal, maybe one-eight inch of bare metal on the vertical front, and one-eighth inch along the adjoining horizontal top front, all across the front top. That little bit of exposed metal makes the entire front of the NAD C 298 much more attractive. It gives the box spatial definition. It works and it is a subtle change.
Have you tried different battery brands? Energizers tend to be bright, but with greater air and special depth. Duracells, on the other hand, have phenomenal bass slam and depth. I’m experimenting now with mixing brands to reap the best of both brands.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Was my Olivia Newton-John (ft. Barry Manilow) collection part of those DOA players?:facepalm:

Actually, yes! And the Bee Gees, The original Top Gun soundtrack, Madonna's Immaculate Collection, The Eagles Greatest hits, Diana Ross and the Supremes and the one you really miss, Culture Club's Colour By Numbers! *kidding* :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, yes! And the Bee Gees, The original Top Gun soundtrack, Madonna's Immaculate Collection, The Eagles Greatest hits, Diana Ross and the Supremes and the one you really miss, Culture Club's Colour By Numbers! *kidding* :)
You did well there, I only ever get rubbish this way -

Bought an ex-demo BD player from a dealer, copy of 'Transformers 3' inside. Tried it, it's unwatchable rubbish

Bought a Pioneer DVD player from ebay, came with a copy of 'Mama Mia' inside - don't need to try it to know it's unwatchable rubbish.

I have a Parasound CD player with a disc trapped inside, all efforts to retrieve have been in vain. By a process of elimination I've worked out that it is most likely a copy of Joe Satriani 'Flying In A Blue Dream.' Not rubbish but not a great album so I've not replaced it. I've got it on vinyl anyway if I ever feel the need.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have a Parasound CD player with a disc trapped inside, all efforts to retrieve have been in vain. By a process of elimination I've worked out that it is most likely a copy of Joe Satriani 'Flying In A Blue Dream.'

Nah, more like you have the ultra rare, unreleased CD version of "Spinning In A Laser Prison". Designed to load, but never unload, sucked into your player and forever locked in an endless repeat. ;)

Digby

Major Contributor
i don't know if we're allowed to expand into non-audio mishaps, but one of my favourite (read: most hated) is when you take a hot pan out of the oven with oven gloves and then a minute or so later grab the handle with your bare hands. That definitely fits the title and in ranking (are you stupid or whut scale) would definitely be a good 8.

Top Bottom