• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you horn-curious?

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This isn't a textbook though. Well, actually, I'm not sure what you mean by textbook. I think "textbook" implies little or no primary research and a compilation of summaries, case studies, study questions and so on meant for a reading audience comprising students and their teachers. Usually large publishing houses produce and distribute them according to contracts with academic institutions. There are typically multiple authors and the overall vibe these works give is impersonal.

(Ok, I know there is a looser use of the word "textbook" which is used to mean any work used in a classroom, and some academics produce original works which even they will call "textbooks" because the purpose is to help students and guide teachers through a difficult subject.)

Kolbrek and Dunker's book is academic literature (in the same sense of the word used for novels). It is an original work that took years to put together, and has unique historical and technical information that can be cited again and again by pros in the field, engineers and researchers alike. Publication was likely arduous. In fact this book was self-published, and all of the typesetting, layout, registration, and I would guess a lot of the legal work, was done by the authors. A third party printed it. And the authors likely keep track of stock, and negotiate with certain sellers for distribution.

I won't go into what I've paid for books, even as a student, and I'm not a bibliophile whose interest is down to particular errata or special binding materials and paper (bibliophile talk is split between subject matter, historical significance and "feel" on the hand, and it's a much older pastime than ours, so you can imagine the bibliophoolishness around). If there is a principal at stake here, it's about the accessibility of knowledge. I'd argue that this book is way more valuable than any textbook, and that textbooks themselves hinder knowledge more than help it.

Maybe this might sway your perspective just a little. Not to buy. Not even to say the price is justified. But to consider the different situations at play here.

Akin to the labour of love which is Bruce Kennett's book on the life, work, and impact on design of W. A. Dwiggins.
https://brucekennett.com/wa-dwiggins-a-life-in-design/

1603374517259.png

Bruce Kennett was also (synchronicitously enough ;) ) a contributer to the late and lamented Art Dudley's late and lamented Listener magazine.

art n bruce some years back.jpg

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/listener/

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Trailing edge technology". Hilarious:D

I worked for a company, many years ago, that was developing very clever technology for new anticancer drugs -- but sometimes the going got a little tough, causing the more waggish to quip that the company motto could be
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, I worked with a great bunch of scientists there and it was one of my favorite gigs, even though the years of hard work invested by many folks was ultimately not clinically successful.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I worked for a company, many years ago, that was developing very clever technology for new anticancer drugs -- but sometimes the going got a little tough, causing the more waggish to quip that the company motto could be

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, I worked with a great bunch of scientists there and it was one of my favorite gigs, even though the years of hard work invested by many folks was ultimately not clinically successful.
One of the hard parts of just being an "enthusiast" is that you (well, me) have little sense of the context of professional work. Not like passers-by are casually allowed to observe meetings or read internal documents. Hearing about professional science or audio second/third hand makes me 1) want to participate and 2) want to understand what's behind all the difficulty.

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We have a little special-interest group in northern New England that's roughly half rabid and technologically curious and/or savvy enthusiasts* and half audio design professionals (or retired professionals). It's a pretty good mix, in that it has self-selected for folks on one side who can tolerate, even enjoy, the perspective of folks on the other side.

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe a competent reviewer could publish a review of the book. It might be worth the money, but without knowing what's all in it (chapters, what's covered in each one), I'd be reluctant to buy it at that price level. Turns out, I'm a direct radiator person anyway. Horns I have heard had a kind of a 'shouty' sound about them that quickly got fatiguing. Horns are excellent if you need directivity and efficiency for covering large areas, though. In a home setting, not so much.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a competent reviewer could publish a review of the book. It might be worth the money, but without knowing what's all in it (chapters, what's covered in each one), I'd be reluctant to buy it at that price level. Turns out, I'm a direct radiator person anyway. Horns I have heard had a kind of a 'shouty' sound about them that quickly got fatiguing. Horns are excellent if you need directivity and efficiency for covering large areas, though. In a home setting, not so much.

Which horn speakers have you heard?

egellings

Major Contributor
Klipsch Cornwall, and Avant Guard Uno (in showrooms). Also, home made ones (one pair) at friends' houses. I do like the efficiency, though. Don't need a big amp for them at all.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch Cornwall, and Avant Guard Uno (in showrooms). Also, home made ones (one pair) at friends' houses. I do like the efficiency, though. Don't need a big amp for them at all.

Ok, you're basing your opinion on horn speakers on two designs that happen to be deeply flawed (not sure about your friend's homemade ones ofc!).

Not having a go at you when I say this, but it seems to be quite a common thing for people to make sweeping general assessments similar to yours of "horn loudspeakers", without ever having heard a horn loudspeaker that meets some basic requirements of quality speaker design.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I do not know how good or bad the two models I mentioned are. I'd need a chance to hear "The Reference", whatever model that might be. The home brew seemed the best to me, subjectively. What I noticed about the horn speakers is that tiny details in the sound are quite apparent. They don't hide anything.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Ok, you're basing your opinion on horn speakers on two designs that happen to be deeply flawed (not sure about your friend's homemade ones ofc!).

Not having a go at you when I say this, but it seems to be quite a common thing for people to make sweeping general assessments similar yours of "horn loudspeakers", without ever having heard a horn loudspeaker that meets some basic requirements of quality speaker design.
I haven't heard the Avant Garde, but the Klipsch I've heard have always been the poster child for shouty, in-your-face horns. Horrible for classical, but perhaps just right for some rock etc. Horns can sound just as smooth as direct radiators, but it is a pain to get them to do so. Customer expectation is probably that people who buy horns want that up-front sound, which is why I've never heard a smooth sounding ready-made horn system from any manufacturer.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MakeMineVinyl I think you're probably right about that. JBL of course would be a major exception, as would JTR, and a number of PA speakers are better in these respects than e.g. Klipsch, but there certainly aren't dozens of quality horn speaker manufacturers in the market. And they are much harder to get right.

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Cornwalls are dismal. Owned a pair for a decade -- finally learned my lesson.

Top Bottom