• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

are you disappointed of some of your old favorite songs that sound like crap on you new hi fi equipment?

AMPaul

I got my system upgraded to more transparent speakers and better amp and i re listened some of my old (2000s- 1990s) songs that i thought i knew and many sound like crap, badly recorded etc... i'm a bit sad about this even though good recordings bring my listening experience to a whole new level.

did you feel the same?

I feel like becoming an audiophile takes a whole chunk of what i used to listen to and dumps it in the trash. and the songs are nice just badly recorded..

I'm talking digital streaming here (spotify premium).

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a roundabout way it highlights how needed the work of places like ASR truly is. Apparently half the mixing engineers in the world have hot garbage for studio monitors.

I just try to enjoy the good songs more to compensate.

Durnik

Maybe you could use a somehow forgiving EQ profile with which you feel comfortable for those songs.

ABall

Forum Donor
Yes I think those of us that have been in this hobby as long as I have all suffer this, that is why I also have Alexa products, last weekend I buried an old JL 12" car subwoofer under my deck, purchased a £66 amp from Amazon that has DSP and passive sub output and connected it to my Monitor Audio garden speakers, the sound just put a massive grin on my face, much more so than the multi thousand pound system I have in the lounge. I connected the garden to a very basic Echo device, sounds like a mobile phone if you dont use the 3.5 out and I am made up. There are some good old recordings though, depends who you like?

concorde1

As to OP question, no. I have CD's that I have chosen for sound quality for every album. It doesn't matter if songs are old, most of them have excellent release(s) if you look for them. Streaming means you can't choose what release you listen to, so streaming can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

Blaspheme

It does influence what I listen to now. Not so much 'bad recordings' but different production styles, along with advancing studio tech, I expect.

Some examples; I loved the Clash. And many of their contemporaries. But, compared to more modern electronic, trip hop and various alt genres, things from those days are bass shy (and sub-bass deficient). I don't have a system optimised for—or maybe just forgiving of—that stuff. Like my old JBL sandpaper-and-boom. Go back further in time and things get worse. Cream's White Room? Joplin's Piece of my Heart? Hendrix All Along the Watchtower? Although Jimi does it with raw talent. But you get the idea. Those recordings from another time aren't actually bad, it's like looking at black & white photos, still art, sometimes great.

Some things come through with less obvious patina: War's Four Cornered Room actually sounds pretty good on any terms. But Prog rock sounds quaint. Sabbath sounds slow (who'd have thought Poppy would hammer them into the ground, although her recordings are grungy). More recent stuff varies. Godspeed You! Black Emperor seem to be doing Marxist mono: wouldn't they sound much more amazing with depth and breadth to the soundstage? Massive Attack used to sound so very murky, dark and mysterious. I still love them, and especially Tricky, but there's a bit less sonic mystery in their classics, like Maxinquaye and Mezzanine.

Meanwhile, newer music just adds sonic complexity and gets away with it. Tricky's contemporary Björk keeps it interesting technically. But I can't imagine some younger artists' pieces, like FKA twigs Figure 8 existing—even in the imagination—a decade prior. Not really a bluetooth soundbar paragon. The creative arms race between artists' output and reproduction tech retains its tension.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

It's not fair to say albums sound bad based on one or two or even three versions. "Piece Of My Heart" the one I have sounds great. "All Along The Watchtower" sounds great on the two versions I have. "[Black] Sabbath sounds slow" what?
Haha sorry, I absolutely didn't say the tracks you name sounded 'bad' or that the recordings were. I think I said they were great art. Just a different sonic perspective now (the question was about our new hifi equipment). I didn't miss what wasn't there (or didn't exist outside pipe organ recitals) in their day. Humble apologies If that wasn't clear.

Sabbath are pretty slow though, surely. In case you missed context from other threads, you really couldn't tear Vol 4 from my cold dead hands back then. I did stop listening after Sabotage— the next one Technical Ecstasy didn't do it for me—so factor that in. My point of comparison would be say post-hardcore stuff, especially if it's mathcore-ish. BMTH's classic The Comedown—or even new stuff on Post Human: Survival Horror—not to mention their almost unlistenable but still fun deathcore debut, are faster, hands down. Chasing Rainbows clocks at 175 BPM if you like calculators (they don't always match subjective sense of speed from other instruments). That's genre-comparable, certain other genres are faster.

I'm open to counterpoint though.

Edit: looks like Vol 4 was on the slow side of their oeuvre, certain other songs clock up, on SBS and Paranoid. Their major riffs still sound like slomo to me though. Interesting. I'd better do some revision :oops:

Last edited:

kami

versions of "All Along The Watchtower" by Hendrix on Deezer clip really bad, there are just a couple of different releases

If there's any other version I could listen to anywhere else (streaming); please I am interested

KM

Blaspheme

versions of "All Along The Watchtower" by Hendrix on Deezer clip really bad, there are just a couple of different releases

If there's any other version I could listen to anywhere else (streaming); please I am interested
Me too, I noticed his voice distorting via Apple Music, don't do Deezer at the moment to compare though.

My CD player needs a trip to the doctor, and I don't have a turntable, so there's that.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
did you feel the same?

No.

I find the more revealing, truthful, accurate etc. the gear I have more enjoyment I derive from even 'bad' recordings. Especially the favourites of my youth I discover things I never new were there which brings new enjoyment to tracks that have maybe been 'played to death'. Also, contrary to the received wisdom, I am a great fan of 'remasters' of old releases. I find they almost invariably sound better than the older cd master and always better than vinyl - especially on good gear.

I really enjoy how different musical technologies, fashions and economics flavour the sound of, say, a basic guitar, bass and drums rock track through the decades. Certainly the lopsided 'stereo' mixes of the 60s or the ubiquitous gated reverbs of the 80s are experiments best not repeated, but they are what they are, and I find the 'flaws' an integral part of the enjoyment.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have improved the quality of my hifi steadily over the last 53 years. from DIY amp and speakers to a wide bandwidth high dynamic range system now.
I would say that all that time some recordings have been great and some not so good but in the end, for me, it has always been music first - I'd rather listen to a poor recording of music I love than a pristine recording of music that bores me.

One of the big changes during the time has been the increase in electronically synthesised instruments.
Bass guitar lowest note is 41Kz and there wasn't much lower in any non-classical music.
Now we have synthesisers with much lower notes and readily available speakers and headphones that can play them so wider frequency bandwidth is being used even though much less dynamic range is.

Personally I don't find my system revealing recording shortcomings to be a serious downside.

concorde1

contrary to the received wisdom, I am a great fan of 'remasters' of old releases. I find they almost invariably sound better than the older cd master and always better than vinyl - especially on good gear.
I find it's very much a case-by-case basis. Some 1st issue or other early CD's sound fantastic, some remasters better. Occasionally the vinyl sounds best despite the format being objectively worse - usually but not always on modern recordings where the CD has been brick-walled but not the LP.

High fidelity label remasters (just for example, MFSL) often sound very good in my findings. But they're not always the best, which I'm thankful for, as they can cost a lot.

Of course, I acknowledge that preference of masters/releases has subjective and objective elements.

Robin L

Master Contributor
There have always been recordings that suck of music that I love. As I've been listening to music from the 1930s all along, this does not come as any surprise. I'd be surprised if suddenly all recordings have equally good sound and you should be too.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I got my system upgraded to more transparent speakers and better amp and i re listened some of my old (2000s- 1990s) songs that i thought i knew and many sound like crap, badly recorded etc... i'm a bit sad about this even though good recordings bring my listening experience to a whole new level.

did you feel the same?

I feel like becoming an audiophile takes a whole chunk of what i used to listen to and dumps it in the trash. and the songs are nice just badly recorded..

Well, I used to have the same experience, BUT...nowadays I find transparent gear will show everything just as it is and makes everything quite listenable. That is with genelec and topping and Beolab.
I mostly listen to lossless files on my NAS.
When I stream via bluetooth I can hear the degredation but it's ok, nothing truly bad.
I also stream Tidal for exploring songs, not critical listening. Maybe that's the secret?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, when I graduated from my old Panasonic record player/8-track/receiver with dinky speaker set and graduated to better gear all around in one fell swoop, I did notice differences, but usually for the good. Yes, some for the bad, but tried to just concentrate on the better than poorer recordings if I was going to buy them (had to buy 'em if I wanted to play them on my gear, only "free" was listen to fm radio, which fortunately at the time was quite good where I lived, tho), and on vinyl.

JSmith

Master Contributor
did you feel the same?
Sort of, but for different reasons maybe... it's like when one plays back SD on a 4K panel, the better resolution of the panel shows all the details, for good or bad. I suppose in some ways a transparent audio system is similar in that being true to the source will reveal "warts and all", so can seem a bit harsh/jarring when playing much older sources. I'd suggest these are the sources you need to tweak to your liking... add a bit of "warmth", it could be just what is missing.

JSmith

ABall

Forum Donor

did you feel the same?

I put this down to speakers, a lot of people here are just commenting on music as an art form and we should appreciate it for that, that's true but you are right, if you upgraded your speakers to something with wider range you get to here more bass which tends to dominate enjoyment in my view. A lot of older recording especially rock sound flat when compared to newer better produced ones that have more range, they dont sound worse realy, they just dont sound as good, play music on a smart speaker and it mostly sounds the same because you dont have the range to tell the recordings apart. I find this with a lot of pop rock from the 70s and 80s, that I enjoy anyway. However I totally agree you can find better recordings but that's not the case for every song that you feel sounds worse, Bat out of hell, George Michael, to name just 2, of course there will be people who say they dont find it a problem....

Blaspheme

I put this down to speakers, a lot of people here are just commenting on music as an art form and we should appreciate it for that, that's true but you are right, if you upgraded your speakers to something with wider range you get to here more bass which tends to dominate enjoyment in my view. A lot of older recording especially rock sound flat when compared to newer better produced ones that have more range, they dont sound worse realy, they just dont sound as good, play music on a smart speaker and it mostly sounds the same because you dont have the range to tell the recordings apart. I find this with a lot of pop rock from the 70s and 80s, that I enjoy anyway. However I totally agree you can find better recordings but that's not the case for every song ...
Yes to all that. Also, some of the things I love now sound decidedly uninteresting on a smart speaker or soundbar.

ABall

Forum Donor
I
Yes to all that. Also, some of the things I love now sound decidedly uninteresting on a smart speaker or soundbar.
I Use smart speakers when I'm doing something more interesting anyway, mostly they are playing radio to be honest.

Top Bottom