• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a headphone or speaker user?

Which way do you consume your music?

• I mostly use speakers.

Votes: 238 53.6%
  • I mostly use headphones.

Votes: 109 24.5%
  • I use headphones and speakers equally.

Votes: 97 21.8%

• Total voters

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought it would be nice to get a pulse of the membership on which way they consume their music. So please answer the post as it will inform future of the forum.

Thanks.

headphones for music and games. Speakers for movies. I live in a big family house. Sharing the living space has its restrictions.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm about 50/50. I prefer speakers (Magnepan 3.6) in my prepared listening room, for both critical listening and musical enjoyment. But I can't always use them since the sound carries through the house. So I end up using headphones (LCD-2 Fazor) about half the time.

That makes me about equally interested in topics from speakers/amps/room treatment, to headphones.

ZeDestructor

50/50 for me. Partly because conditions (I'm not always home, group playing video games), partly just cause sometimes I prefer headphones

felizecat

New to the forum; first post.
I use both equally, mostly because my floor is thin and my downstair neighbours can revenge with her bad hifi. Landlord lives in the same building (quadruplex) so I have to behave.

That said, most of my gear is diy/kits, so I have to use it.

Grateful for this forum, and the nice discussions!

flaviowolff

I'm 29 years old and my generation grew up listening to mp3 players and iPods, so I'm actually more used to the "inside your head" presentation than speakers, so I really like headphone. I have a pair of monitors calibrated with Dirac Live, but I don't like the idea of listening to music at a fixed spot. If I'm anywhere else, fidelity is gone because of acoustics/calibration considering only a small space etc. Regardless of all that, my greatest enjoyments usually come from listening to music inside my car, which has regular car speakers.

Spinitch

Mobile listening puts headphones on top for hours of use but enjoy speakers experience more. Have many types of headphones but only 2 types of speakers. M105 in living room get most use. Floor stands in bedroom infrequent.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers during the day. (5.2 consisting of LS 50 Metas, Kef HTC 3001SE, 2 OG LS 50 Surrounds, 3 SVS SB 2000 Subs) and Headphones consisting of Smyth Research A16 Realizer (running in person 24 channel PRIRs of D&D 8Cs and LS 50 Metas), Octo DAC 8, THX 789, HD 800s & LCD Xs for late night and the 24 channel ATMOS cinema experience.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My decent headphones are used at home to voice speakers, also I have a cheap set used to listen at work. I'd usually rather listen to speakers.

Joe Smith

About 80% speakers and 20% headphones. After I retire early next year, that could change a bit, though I do enjoy headphone listening when I am at the desk. Currently mainly using AKG K361s and a Schiit stack (Modi 3, Magni 3), also have a JDS Labs Atom+ DAC which I swap in from time to time.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to headphones mostly by necessity and out of consideration for others, but speakers are preferred when it's practical. So far looks like the results are close to 50/50 in terms of headphone use per se, with a clear bias towards speakers in listening hours.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I hate headphones, i only use them for dj purpose or for MS teams calls and meetings on the job. Music listening is 100% speakers, and when no speakers are possible, i don't listen music.

But each to his own off course. I don't mind that you use headphones at all. For many it's the best way, but certainly not for me.

flaviowolff

I am 30 years old and grew up listening to music via headphones since my early teens. Thus I am very accostumed to it, including the extreme horizontal spacialization. I'm also used to the extreme detail retrieval that headphones make much easier. As bad a headphone may be, it doesnt have to deal with room issues.

skraz

i voted both but frankly my headphone setup is much better than my current speaker setup (which i intend to change soon, still doing the research on affordable and good speakers etc) i'm mostly in front of a computer when listening to music and in an apartment which the room definitely does not suit speakers, with those limitations in mind i do want to get some monitors for the computer with a good amp into them, but not sure how much it will actually make me listen over headphones with the current limitations.

DMill

I have a 2nd living room for audio. Usually ok unless I want to crank it up. Then it’s time for headphones.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only started using headphones again since COVID. Apparently my music, does not appeal to the other family member.

Now most weekend nights that’s what I use.

curiouspeter

With RoomPerfect or Dirac Live perhaps speakers will be viable for more people.

The average SPL of my music is usually 60-65 dB and I do not have a subwoofer. It is not going to bother neighbors.

Peterinvan

Childhood- parents’ small speakers
adolescence- headphones
single adult life- speakers
married life- bigger speakers
parenting life- small speakers and headphones
^^^^^ - currently here:
retirement life- ???
RETIREMENT LIFE?
I feel privileged at 70+ to still enjoy music from my headphones and speakers. I have much more time for dedicated listening.

I have drifted towards Jazz, and acoustic instruments, and my selected headphones are brighter than they used to be. I use Tidal streaming, so no EQ available.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I ever do actually retire, I'll probably stick with my giant speakers. Life's too short, and all that. Besides, they give me a hobby tweaking them.

Top Bottom