• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Are you a headphone or speaker guy?

Which way do you consume your music?

• I mostly use speakers.

Votes: 101 53.7%
  • I mostly use headphones.

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • I use headphones and speakers equally.

Votes: 40 21.3%

• Total voters

RedFuneral

I've been a headphone listener since the start with a few year long honeymoon into speaker land. I'm operating out of a bedroom and space is at a premium, I returned to speakers when I realized how critical the room was to get the speakers sounding right and how much space was wasted arranging the room around proper acoustics. That and sitting in front of a computer monitor pretty much mandates headphones unless you're ok with a nonexistent center image.

Speakers mainly.
Although I now use headphones more often, due to circumstances...
And I like the SQ I get from the Focal Elegia + RME :)

esm

Patreon Donor
I switch back and forth a lot; the main problem is that I live in an apartment, so while I have competent speaker setups in multiple rooms, outside certain hours I just can't use them, and in general I'm a lot more aware of loudness with the speakers (I have a good relationship with my neighbors, and want to keep it that way). So for focused listening, or even just particularly dynamic/soundtrack-heavy movies, I wind up with headphones on at some point.

Plus, travel means headphones, although that's more about silencing the outside world than SQ; I'm basically married to my 1000XM3s when I leave the house.

Definitely speakers. For me, it’s mostly about situational awareness. Why people purposely handicap themselves while in public spaces is beyond me. I feel little sympathy for the pedestrian who is struck by train/trolley/bus/car while walking/biking/scooting through busy, high traffic areas with headphones/IEM’s. Darwin award nominee, for sure. Be safe, people!

Childhood- parents’ small speakers
adolescence- headphones
single adult life- speakers
married life- bigger speakers
parenting life- small speakers and headphones
^^^^^ - currently here:
retirement life- ???

Speakers , tried headphones, but to bulky when lying on sofa , bought “hifi “earplugs in 125 usd range after rave reviews, Utterly useless ****** sound compared to iPhone standard earplugs.

Dogen

Patreon Donor
I came across an odd audiophile term the other day - “forensic listening”. That pretty much describes my experience with headphones. I can certainly enjoy them, but speakers seem to weave the performance together into an enjoyable whole, while headphones reveal every unfortunate mix decision and distortion.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My choice of the day is:
Sierra-2's played off the Sony Receiver
HD6XX played off the KTB / 789
Some chinese IEM's 4 BA + 1 DD Musicmaker Shockwave III's played off the D50 / O2

Decisions decisions

Top Bottom