• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sadly, I don't have a lot of experience in some styles like racing games (I've heard that pro racing sims like rFactor 2 are incredibly fun) or RTS (Warcraft III, Age of Empire 2, Starcraft 2 and Warzone 2100 are supposedly classics).

I know nothing about gaming, but my son is involved with sim racing and has a racing team and community he has developed called Bez Racing. As far as I can tell he has particpants from Europe and the US and probably elsewhere, too. I know that when they are racing his bedroom is strictly off limits! If the discussions about which racing wheel is the best are anything to go by it's not that different from certain aspects of our hobby.:) He's currently on the waiting list for a Fanatec wheel - expected sometime in September, I think.

bez_racing_team2.jpg

Sombreuil

Outside of what's already been mentionned, I'd add the trinity Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian.
Also fighting games, especially Garou: Mark of the Wolves that came out in 1999.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I dusted off the Wii with my daughter and she loves playing all the Lego starwars and Lego Harry Potter games together. Great games, tons of fun to have with your kids. :)

My kids and I had real blast with Lego City Undercover. A cool original story while lots of humor and fun of a definitive Lego game. (Don't think it was released on Wii though, as it was a Wii U launch title...)

Tks

Major Contributor
My dad would've broken a video game console over my head if he didn't take pity on me at the time.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To start... Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles with my son. (Definitive Edition on Switch.) A pretty amazing RPG game, thanks in no small part to its story. Maybe one of the best I've played/watched including Oblivion, Skyrim, Witcher 3, ...
We may have the odd gamers mum too;)

I myself quit gaming when Silent Hunter: Battle of the Atlantic was released. I shudder to think how rich I’d be if I’d been paying attention to my finances rather than completing Super Mario Kart on 150 CC or chasing down a sonar trace for 3 days (that’s human days) to find a tug boat rather than an aircraft carrier. Each to their own though.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'm a video gamer from WAAAAAY back! Basically from Pong onwards lol. Favorites over the years would be Galaga, NeoGeo fighters (Garou!), Sim City (the first one!), Grand Prix Legends, Microsoft Flightsim 2004ACOF, Neo Turf Masters, Gran Turismo, Fruit Ninja, Metal Slug, DOOM...and so on.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By era...

Elite, Lords of Midnight... (Z80 era)
Dungeon Master (68000 era)
Most SSI D&D stuff, Wizardry, Ultima series. Lots of Microprose Simulators. (8086 to 80386 era).
Ages of Empire series, Baldur's gate (pentium era).
More recently: Eve Online for 15 years or so, World of tanks for quick games with my son. The Witcher, Skyrim, etc... are certainly impressive but I don't seem to be able to fully immerse myself in their worlds anymore.

It is really funny to compare 1980 where you were some kind of weirdo if you were playing computer games and the huge business they generate and cultural impact they have today...

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grand Prix Legends,

Oh, that one was sooooo hard and so unforgiving! I think that also was the one that pushed me to purchase 2 3DFX cards.
Memories, memories...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Oh, that one was sooooo hard and so unforgiving! I think that also was the one that pushed me to purchase 2 3DFX cards.
Memories, memories...

It remains one of the greatest racing/driving sims I've ever played. Back around 2000 I was in a really awesome online racing league. We had guys from the UK, Italy, Germany. I would be up at 2am for league races lol. I owned a Momo FF racing wheel rig. Good times! I actually just this past week downloaded the GPL2020 demo and gave it a try. The damn sim still holds up! It even still looks good...

this guy has tons of recent vids...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Far Cry 2 is a all time classic first person shooter. Set in Africa it includes desert, jungle and village terrain. The game includes malaria for the main player and that means if you don't get your quinine you die or pass out or maybe you get rescued by a buddy. Myself and many others including reviewers consider Far Cry 2 to be the best of the Far Cry Series. It retails full pop @ ~$10.00 these days as it has come down in price in a big way. If you want a fun time without silly humour and some serious shooter gameplay with excellent weapons and bad guys then this game is for you.
0000004527.1920x1080.jpg

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
My top ever games in no particular order:

- Witcher 3
- XCOM 2
- Escape from Tarkov
- Dota 2
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Red Dead Redemption 2

If you're looking for good coop games to play with your son I would recommend:

- The Division (Plays in a wintery New York - best played around christmas time)
- Borderlands 2
- Ghost Recon Wildlands

Also XCOM 2 can be enjoyed together since it's round based.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hades is one of my recent favorites. Excellent roguelike with a really touching story and a fantastic soundtrack.

dfuller

Major Contributor

beeface

Bearing in mind I've played less than a handful of games released in the last decade or so, my favourite games of all time are:
  • Counter-Strike
  • Half-Life
  • DOOM (1993)
  • Quake 3
  • System Shock 2
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Tetris

kism

I've been playing games since the original Mario on NES. Most recently, my son and I have been like hardcore addicted to all the FromSoft titles. Dark souls 1-3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and the Demon's Souls remake on PS5 is gorgeous. We've beaten them all so far and are anxiously awaiting the release of Elden Ring.

Top Bottom