• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Started with Space Invaders in 1978 or 1979, I still like to play the classics like Galaxians, Donkey Kong, Defender, Phoenix and so on. Got them all on one of these Arcadepro Mercury consoles for the authentic experience:

Otherwise these days I only play tactical and strategic wargames, mostly 'The Operational Art Of War'. Currently I'm re-fighting the Vietnam War:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few things beat playing Doom Eternal, particularly The Blood Swamps, with a home cinema and, most crucial, big subwoofers, blasting the music.

The only thing I use headphones for is Doom Eternal (and playing my guitar at night). So all the headphone stuff here on ASR is lost on me. I don't care about any of that.

I'd guess that with a huge sound system with enough watts to shake the room, Doom Eternal would be something on a different order. FWIW, I thought the final boss battle was idiotic. So much more could have been done with that; instead of the circular arena where it was rinse and repeat, etc. Doom's 'master' levels (for a casual gamer like me) are almost too intense from a skill level standpoint. If you watch some of the people bouncing around on ultra nightmare and not even taking hits--that's pretty amazing.

I play Minecraft with my 6-year-old daughter. If you have young children, I highly recommend the games:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus

When my daughter was young, we had a 386SX-16. I remember Commander Keen, and games like that. Floppies. She enjoyed playing those. Also some role playing games like King's Quest. I guess those are considered primitive compared to anything made today.

Before that were text based games. One I remember was Zork (I think it was called). You had to use your imagination to play Zork. You had to imagine all sorts of things because there were no visuals.

I think today's tweako 'high end' reviewers are still stuck in Zork, imagining all kinds of stuff that just isn't there. :)

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
C22A630D-6CA0-4D6D-B5BA-91DF0207B8D9.jpeg

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Also some role playing games like King's Quest. I guess those are considered primitive compared to anything made today.

BTW, King’s Quest got “reimagined” in 2015-2016. Available on Steam. This is how I introduced it my teenage son.

iamnotPaul

Hey! Actually I'm a gamer and I play in some of them with my younger brother Jimmy
On PC:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Prypiat (I'm replaying it over and over again)
Warcraft III Frozen Throne (I'm a big fan of it from my childhood and I like to play it sometimes to feel nostalgic)
The Witcher (Jimmy is playing more in it)
Also I'm a fan of old Shrek and Harry Potter games
Mobile:
Collection of Rusty Lake (all of them)
Dad's Monster House (from the Isoland developers)
Fran Bow (all chapters)
These are really awesome!
Browser:
Portal (flash)
Sometimes Zuma (when I'm extra bored)
Chess (extra sometimes but I like to play with people not with bots)
Sudoku (the only modern sudoku I found)
Actually on my desktop I have much more installed games but currently I'm playing in these

D

Deleted member 47224

Spending some quality times on Genshin Impact since last year. It's a gacha games on phone/PC/PS4. The OST is simply amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted

Started with Space Invaders in 1978 or 1979, I still like to play the classics like Galaxians, Donkey Kong, Defender, Phoenix and so on. Got them all on one of these Arcadepro Mercury consoles for the authentic experience:

Otherwise these days I only play tactical and strategic wargames, mostly 'The Operational Art Of War'. Currently I'm re-fighting the Vietnam War:
Donkey Kong, that brings back memories! Not sure if that or Duck Hunt was more triggering.

Hard to believe I started with good old Pong as a young, young kid on the Atari and now mostly play EVE, Rust, Valorant, and Diablo.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Donkey Kong, that brings back memories!
Donkey Kong Country had some timeless music as well. The Aquatic Ambience piece, for example, has quite a few good covers...

DMill

Took over my kids XBox playing Witcher 3. Read reviews. It’s a tremendous game.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
For those of you who like 90's mechanics (Metroidvania in this case), try Blasphemous and crank up the volume.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Elden Ring
Dark Souls (all of them but 3 was the best)
Demons Souls (PS5, worth buying it just for that game)
God of War (all but 2 is best)
Last of Us (1, they wrecked 2 but it is still worth playing)
Red Dead redemption (all but 2 was the best)
Uncharted (all)
Forza 5

Elden ring, Red Dead and Demons souls through a Genelec surround setup........very sweet.

DMill

Elden Ring
Dark Souls (all of them but 3 was the best)
Demons Souls (PS5, worth buying it just for that game)
God of War (all but 2 is best)
Last of Us (1, they wrecked 2 but it is still worth playing)
Red Dead redemption (all but 2 was the best)
Uncharted (all)
Forza 5

Elden ring, Red Dead and Demons souls through a Genelec surround setup........very sweet.
Played Red Dead 2 also. Very impressive game

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THis
.... live in Lyon, if can go to one of their live,...
"Live" like arcades? I know this is a 'video game' post...
202209_Pinball-Circus.jpg

...but I thought some pinball :oops: homage was proper.

Adi777

I am not playing games yet, I paused, but when I finish building a house and a cinema room, I will definitely come back.
Nice to see a lot of great opinion about Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Unfortunately, I haven't played the third part of Geralt of Rivia's adventures yet, but I very like first two parts.
My favourite games?
First two Witchers - atmosphere, music - especially The Witcher 1, The Witcher 2 for me has a much weaker soundtrack, but still not bad, also great dialogues, good and interesting scenario, and tits ;)
Hitman: Blood Money - atmosphere, great soundtrack - one of my favourite soundtrack from all games, beautiful mix electronic and choral. Great locations, lots of ways to get the job done.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - again, atmosphere ;), good soundtrack - Amon Tobin - especially El Cargo, great sneaking, fantastic locations.
RiME - yes, I know, it's boring - atmosphere ;), very nice and melodic soundtrack, I very like the style of graphics, touching story.

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I spent entirely too much time this past weekend playing around with retroarch on a recently-acquired Amazon Fire HD8 tablet. That paired with a PS4 dual shock controller I have kicking around (my PS4 crapped out a few months back) is just a fantastic portable gaming rig. For myself - a 55 year old who's been a huge gamer since the late 70s - being able to load up an $80 tablet with hundreds of roms allowing me to play an almost endless list of classic games up to and including the entire neogeo library and even some Dreamcast games is really just like living out a kind of childhood fantasy. I've been playing all my favorite NES/SNES/Genesis games as well as tons of stuff on systems I never had bitd like the TG16. Plus, I ran through a half-dozen levels in the original DOOM - which totally still holds up as a great game, and playing it with the DS4 controller is really an unbelievably great thing. Mowing down a room full of monsters with the chaingun is still a ridiculously satisfying gaming experience! lol. Another killer game is Neo Turf Masters - just an incredibly playable game. The Neo Geo stuff is pure joy. And seeing those Dreamcast games again has reminded me what a phenomenal console that was. Those games are still some of the prettiest, cleanest and best-playing games I've ever seen. I think of the consoles I've owned, I'd put the DC and the SNES at the top followed by the NES and PS3.

And then there's the arcade games! lol...I love shmups and Cave classics like Donpachi and DoDonpachi work pretty much flawlessly on this cheap rig. And Robotron 2084! It's so great with the dual analog sticks on the controller...

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm not a "gamer" but I've always liked video games ever since dumping my quarters into them back in the 80s. My favorites:

Arcade classics: Joust, Robotron, Defender, Donkey Kong, Berserk, Battlezone, Tempest, Millipede, Missile Command, etc.
I have a full size stand-up Joust Cabinet with dual controls, trackball, running RetroPie with about 17,000 games.
Top Joust score: > 10,000,000 about 5 hours on 1 quarter

Favorite PC games
Minecraft: many hours playing with my daughter, since the very first version, hosting server games with her friends from school. She's in college and still plays.
Portal: 1st person puzzle solving, one of my favorites and best video games ever!
The Talos Principle: more 1st person puzzle solving, almost as good as Portal
Zelda Twilight Princess: I spent about 80 hours to complete this game on Wii, enjoyed every minute
Blockout - 3D Tetris, way better than 2D

Xenoblade chronicles is one that I always wanted to try... maybe someday.

sealman

Forum Donor
I am another gamer that has been playing since the Commodore 64 days.
Here is my list from the last 10 years or so in no particular order.

Bioshock games (all)
Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tomb Raider 2013
Mount and Blade Warband
Divinity 2 Original Sin
Red Dead Redemption 2
Kingdom Come
Farcry series
The Last of Us
Fallout Series
Witcher 1 and 3
There are others I am forgetting as well.

Top Bottom