• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are we heading for a time when all CDs will be MQA coded - no redbook available?

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've just got my copy of Dominique Fils-Aime's lastest album Three Little Words. I find her to be one of the most creative jazz/pop artists around at the moment. But it appears that the CD version is only available as an encoded MQA CD. There is no redbook CD available.

dfa.jpg

Here's the usual MQA blurb for this CD: MQA encoded CD for higher resolution playback on MQA enabled devices: Plays on regular CD players and MQA enabled CD players.

Looks like I'm forced into either vinyl (not my thing) or a download from Qobuz. It's the first time I've encountered this. I was beginning to think MQA was dead in the water - perhaps that is not the case.

I bought it from Amazon, so I can return it (it's not described as an MQA CD on their website). Although I'm tempted to keep the CD just to see how the MQA-CD rip sounds compared to the file I will purchase from Qobuz.

OP
Burning Sounds

Burning Sounds

I have no interest in MQA - I use DSP.

Firstly Amazon need to describe it correctly (yes, I know......)

From MQA's website: MQA is now available on CD, allowing any CD player to deliver more detailed, nuanced playback. Really??

So if I rip this MQA CD what do I get - I'm guessing not redbook or do I?

This is the first time I've come across a CD that is MQA only. Is it going to become commonplace? A lot of people seem to think (hope?) MQA will die out, this tells me differently.

BinkieHuckerback

I thought MQA was about streaming music? Is the CD 'MQA only' if it 'plays on regular CD players'?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA is lossy, Redbook is lossless. In a world in which memory costs less and less, MQA has no future.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have no interest in MQA - I use DSP.

Firstly Amazon need to describe it correctly (yes, I know......)

From MQA's website: MQA is now available on CD, allowing any CD player to deliver more detailed, nuanced playback. Really??

So if I rip this MQA CD what do I get - I'm guessing not redbook or do I?

This is the first time I've come across a CD that is MQA only. Is it going to become commonplace? A lot of people seem to think (hope?) MQA will die out, this tells me differently.
With Warner, Universal, and Sony as stakeholders, it seems unlikely MQA is going to just fade away quietly.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
With Warner, Universal, and Sony as stakeholders, it seems unlikely MQA is going to just fade away quietly.

This^^^ Follow the money.

Always. Follow. The. Money.

There's a ton of money to be made pushing MQA to the masses. Betamax vs VHS anyone?

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

'MQA is lossy' and 'CD version is only available as an encoded MQA CD'...? 'Plays on regular CD players and MQA enabled CD players' I don't understand...

MQA CDs play just fine on CD players made to play "redbook" audio, enjoy and I wouldn't worry because a lot of people don't really believe in MQA so it may even come and go like other formats have

Aerith Gainsborough

If it plays in any old CD player, it cannot be a lossy data format, because CD players cannot decode that. So you have the normal Redbook stuff + added on MQA information that can be read by specialized players.

At least that's the only way I could see this work.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it plays in any old CD player, it cannot be a lossy data format, because CD players cannot decode that. So you have the normal Redbook stuff + added on MQA information that can be read by specialized players.

At least that's the only way I could see this work.

“Yes” but the bottom bits are mangled and contains the MQA information so mansr is rigth .

The top 13 bits are normal and the rest will plays as low level noise on a normal CD player , similar to HDCD when you don’t have a HDCD capable machine.

Top Bottom