• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are these early April fools jokes?

invaderzim

The latest post on Stereophile has their recommended components list for 2019 out and it includes:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Part of me loves the Peter Belt stuff, truly bonkers ideas, so much that nothing you could make up to troll the high end could ever surpass his stuff. I'm sure sensible, comparatively, prices are a large part of what makes him look an amusing fool, and not a money grubbing conman, plus he seemed to be conning himself more than others.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its April 1st already indeed .... o_O

And its exactly what's wrong with the less than ethical side of the audio industry too .... :rolleyes:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could this be a portent of what to expect under the new editorship? Or was Stereophile doing this already under JA anyway?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Could this be a portent of what to expect under the new editorship? Or was Stereophile doing this already under JA anyway?
AFAIK, everything that has appeared in print or online so far has preceded the new editor's assumption of management. The only exceptions are his own personal contributions.

Overnight regime changes usually occur only in unstable societies. :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Decades ago one of the Hi-Fi magazines gave a way some Peter Belt accessories. They were to stick onto mains plugs iirc, I still have some mains leads with them on somewhere.
There was a lot of support for him in the 70s or 80s, I am amazed any of his stuff is still for sale, I think he he died years ago.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Decades ago one of the Hi-Fi magazines gave a way some Peter Belt accessories. They were to stick onto mains plugs iirc, I still have some mains leads with them on somewhere.
There was a lot of support for him in the 70s or 80s, I am amazed any of his stuff is still for sale, I think he he died years ago.
Yes, PWB is now run by May Belt, his widow. I still have the PB brush with which one wiped away the bad stuff from one's tweeters. Good little dusting brush.

He also advocated turning up the bottom corner of one's curtains, or putting a little piece of paper under one (and only one!) of the feet on one's amplifier.

The power of suggestion!
S

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More recent than that...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-belt-1930-2017

Over the years, reactions to the discoveries and developments of Peter Belt have ranged from hopeful acceptance to calm dismissal to hostile ridicule, the latter always borne with quiet graciousness by the Belts, whose consistent response was to urge skeptics to simply give their ideas a try
My bold.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-belt-1930-2017

Over the years, reactions to the discoveries and developments of Peter Belt have ranged from hopeful acceptance to calm dismissal to hostile ridicule, the latter always borne with quiet graciousness by the Belts, whose consistent response was to urge skeptics to simply give their ideas a try
My bold.

Also in that obituary (my bold), Art Dudley says that they "steadfastly maintained that the products .......................................have less to do with mysticism than with shifting the emphasis from altering the performance of playback gear to altering the perception of the listener" and that "It has always been perception." I've always regarded them as silly and less pernicious than many.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Was it Belt who suggested putting an aluminum foil wrapped picture of the listener (or listening room) in the freezer before a serious session?

Top Bottom