• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there sub-$1500 AV Processors???

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had thought about that but didn't want to since I'd lose LFE channel to the subs. I'm talking about how the SVS subs have their own EQ adjustments on the amp plate.

There's not enough "stereo" in bass to tempt me at all to setup on high level connections like that, but I don't have the subs positioned where that would do any good and use four subs anyways. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to get your subs setup with the SVS dsp before running Audyssey, tho I'd not do the LFE+Main thing (I recently revisited it too, prefer just the LFE setting with a cross at 100).

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

There's not enough "stereo" in bass to tempt me at all to setup on high level connections like that, but I don't have the subs positioned where that would do any good and use four subs anyways. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to get your subs setup with the SVS dsp before running Audyssey, tho I'd not do the LFE+Main thing (I recently revisited it too, prefer just the LFE setting with a cross at 100).
Ya my idea is to EQ the subs first, and once i get them as flat as I can, run the Audyssey setup.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason 80 hz is oft recommended for crossing to subs is somewhere around and below 80 hz we have much diminished stereo perception. Stereo subs can sound different from interactions with room modes and not having mono bass, but often it just makes room problems hairier to fix. As you basically have a pair of single subs vs having two mono subs. The latter lets you put them in two places that can even out the low end response of the room since they carry a common signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

Evaluation for low frequencies
For frequencies below 800 Hz, the dimensions of the head (ear distance 21.5 cm, corresponding to an interaural time delay of 625 µs) are smaller than the half wavelength of the sound waves. So the auditory system can determine phase delays between both ears without confusion. Interaural level differences are very low in this frequency range, especially below about 200 Hz, so a precise evaluation of the input direction is nearly impossible on the basis of level differences alone. As the frequency drops below 80 Hz it becomes difficult or impossible to use either time difference or level difference to determine a sound's lateral source, because the phase difference between the ears becomes too small for a directional evaluation.[11]

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

One reason 80 hz is oft recommended for crossing to subs is somewhere around and below 80 hz we have much diminished stereo perception. Stereo subs can sound different from interactions with room modes and not having mono bass, but often it just makes room problems hairier to fix. As you basically have a pair of single subs vs having two mono subs. The latter lets you put them in two places that can even out the low end response of the room since they carry a common signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

Evaluation for low frequencies
For frequencies below 800 Hz, the dimensions of the head (ear distance 21.5 cm, corresponding to an interaural time delay of 625 µs) are smaller than the half wavelength of the sound waves. So the auditory system can determine phase delays between both ears without confusion. Interaural level differences are very low in this frequency range, especially below about 200 Hz, so a precise evaluation of the input direction is nearly impossible on the basis of level differences alone. As the frequency drops below 80 Hz it becomes difficult or impossible to use either time difference or level difference to determine a sound's lateral source, because the phase difference between the ears becomes too small for a directional evaluation.[11]
I know buuuut I think it's a little bit of OCD in me lol. Even crossed at 80hz (which I have mine set to) I could still feel the direction but barely from the left. When I added the 2nd to the right it was just everywhere.

Anyways, my buddy is offering to buy my Marantz SR5010 for $400 and I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X4700H as it performs better than the Marantz SR7015. Also debating waiting for full HDMI 2.1 receivers which may release in June?? if we look at last year's release??? I need to decide tonight if I'm selling to him or not :(

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

Do we know if Denon will be releasing a new series soon? I'd hate to buy now and they come out with a new model in June.

Melvinne

Ya my idea is to EQ the subs first, and once i get them as flat as I can, run the Audyssey setup.

So, my experience, using the SVS App, was that I followed the guide on AVSForum to setup Audyssey. And that meant only using the SVS App to adjust the gain so that I hit -11 on the AVR for sub trim giving Audyssey the most room to adjust the subwoofer. Seriously the Guide is comprehensive, and you'll likely redo your setup a dozen times like I did until it's just right.

FWIW, I'm using Emotiva T2+ towers, C2+ center, and an SB3000 subwoofer. My calibrated and custom target curved results from REW/UMIK1 are shown below. It isn't "perfectly flat" but movies are immersive with it. The dip line is prior to adjusting the subwoofer distance to align phase (again, in the guide).

OH, I am using the Marantz SR6015 and the towers are crossed at 40hz, center at 80hz.

PrePostCalibration.png

prerich

Well if you want that much avr amp you're right back at the high prices, Denon 8500 would work, tho. :) Then again the difference between 105 wpc and 150 wpc is all of 1.5dB difference....

I consider Denon before I consider Marantz, generally a better value (and have measured better here too IIRC). Being sister companies they're more similar than different (difference being the HDAM feature, which someone posited could well be the reason they don't measure as well).
I was actually thinking the same thing. I recently gave my x4300h to my son and upgraded to the Marantz AV7706. For lack of a better term....the AV7706 sounds darker than the Denon (to my fallible ears).

Top Bottom