• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there sub-$1500 AV Processors???

andrewskaterrr

I have a Marantz SR5010 and am wanting to upgrade. I'd like to get something with full HDMI 2.1 but we're still waiting on those to release it seems. My main question is do I go with another Marantz or similar AV Receiver, or buy separate AV Processor and AMP? So far all I've been able to find are $2000+ processors, Like Emotiva's XMC-2 which is $3000. Are there not cheaper processors around? I'd love to buy a decent amp like Emotiva's XPA-7, then only have to upgrade the processor when a new HDMI spec or feature come out. I'm hoping they're out there and someone can just point them out to me.

Mains: JBL Studio 590
Rears: JBL Studio 580
Subs: 2x SVS PB-1000 Pro

Last edited:

benny1201

I heard Tonewinner is bringing at-300 to North America which there isn’t much info around. One user saying it’s buggy as well.
Another route is to go with a denon avr and use the preamp mode when you have bought the amplifiers and upgrade to a full on processor when money allows. Ie. avrx-3700h

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

I heard Tonewinner is bringing at-300 to North America which there isn’t much info around. One user saying it’s buggy as well.
Another route is to go with a denon avr and use the preamp mode when you have bought the amplifiers and upgrade to a full on processor when money allows. Ie. avrx-3700h
Part of the reason I had bought my SR5010 was for the pre-outs it had for that very reason. I really want Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and dual sub outputs. I just feel like it's a waste (and cost) to essentially buy 2 sets of amps lol, but it may be what I have to do :/
That Tonewinner looks great but I see what you mean about the issues people are reporting :(
Thanks for the info!!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want XT32 or similar REQ and HDMI 2.1 (and assuming other 4k/Atmos type features) your choices are very limited, and the pricing sounds normal. I like the idea of a 3700 used as pre-pro, it measured better than some....

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

if you want a cheap processor then get an Intel NUC PC and a multi-channel DAC.
Doesn't really help me with my TV set up. I want HDMI inputs, turntable input, etc. Honestly the more I read, I may as well stick with an AV Receiver. I get all the features, but it will lack in power. Seems like companies like to add more channels instead of offering another 7.2 with beefier amps. I'd like 150w @8 ohm all channel but that seems like a pipe dream.

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

If you want XT32 or similar REQ and HDMI 2.1 (and assuming other 4k/Atmos type features) your choices are very limited, and the pricing sounds normal. I like the idea of a 3700 used as pre-pro, it measured better than some....
Ya I'll check it out. Do you know how off hand how it compares to what Marantz offers? I was looking at the SR6015 and SR5015.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't really help me with my TV set up. I want HDMI inputs, turntable input, etc. Honestly the more I read, I may as well stick with an AV Receiver. I get all the features, but it will lack in power. Seems like companies like to add more channels instead of offering another 7.2 with beefier amps. I'd like 150w @8 ohm all channel but that seems like a pipe dream.

Well if you want that much avr amp you're right back at the high prices, Denon 8500 would work, tho. :) Then again the difference between 105 wpc and 150 wpc is all of 1.5dB difference....

Ya I'll check it out. Do you know how off hand how it compares to what Marantz offers? I was looking at the SR6015 and SR5015.

I consider Denon before I consider Marantz, generally a better value (and have measured better here too IIRC). Being sister companies they're more similar than different (difference being the HDAM feature, which someone posited could well be the reason they don't measure as well).

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

Well if you want that much avr amp you're right back at the high prices, Denon 8500 would work, tho. :) Then again the difference between 105 wpc and 150 wpc is all of 1.5dB difference....

I consider Denon before I consider Marantz, generally a better value (and have measured better here too IIRC). Being sister companies they're more similar than different (difference being the HDAM feature, which someone posited could well be the reason they don't measure as well).

Well wanting power is more for bass support. Making sure I have enough power when the speakers tries to draw it. I need to do another Kill-A-Watt test on my amp to see what I'm pulling from the wall, since I haven't done it since replacing some low sensitivity Sonys for JBL Studio 580s. The 590s seemed to be very efficient when I tested stereo around 60w each after subtracting the SR5010s 64w at idle. I'll check out Denon's though. Thanks for the info!

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

So I just compared the X6700, X3700, and SR6015. Looks like the X3700 and SR6015 are twins, but the 6015 has analog to digital conversion which I use for my old consoles, and it has IMAX enhanced. Kind of a tall order for $400 more. Both Denon lack 7.1 RCA inputs as well, while the 6015 does. I'll have to debate but for what I do, I may have to stick with the SR6015. If I want more power I can just get a separate amp, or the SR6016? when it launches with HDMI 2.1 hopefully. Won't have balanced outputs though :(

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well wanting power is more for bass support. Making sure I have enough power when the speakers tries to draw it. I need to do another Kill-A-Watt test on my amp to see what I'm pulling from the wall, since I haven't done it since replacing some low sensitivity Sonys for JBL Studio 580s. The 590s seemed to be very efficient when I tested stereo around 60w each after subtracting the SR5010s 64w at idle. I'll check out Denon's though. Thanks for the info!

How are you using the subs then? The kill a watt isn't a great way to go....estimating your needs with an spl calculator might be better http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

How are you using the subs then? The kill a watt isn't a great way to go....estimating your needs with an spl calculator might be better http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
So I'd like to run my speakers Full Band, but I have so much sub power I think I'll leave it at X'd at 80hz. Especially with a new reciever that has stereo sub outputs. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 is on it's way so I'll be able to take my own measurements.
I play my movies pretty loud for full effect, so I'd like to have power on hand. At the same time my SR5010 seems to be holding up just fine, but gets a little hot after a movie.

rccarguy

You should use large setting for speakers not unless they go down to 20hz and have big dedicated amplifier for those drivers like the high end definitive technology towers

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

You should use large setting for speakers not unless they go down to 20hz and have big dedicated amplifier for those drivers like the high end definitive technology towers
They are JBL Studio 590s and 580s, they go decently deep. Just trying to keep the stereo bass.

rccarguy

They are JBL Studio 590s and 580s, they go decently deep. Just trying to keep the stereo bass.

They're dual 8" ported. For movies I'd use small lowest 40hz probably 60hz. For music full range will be fine

The Hz spec doesn't have +/- figure so could be anything +/-10db

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'd like to run my speakers Full Band, but I have so much sub power I think I'll leave it at X'd at 80hz. Especially with a new reciever that has stereo sub outputs. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 is on it's way so I'll be able to take my own measurements.
I play my movies pretty loud for full effect, so I'd like to have power on hand. At the same time my SR5010 seems to be holding up just fine, but gets a little hot after a movie.

I'd still cross those speakers....I do. The sub outs are not stereo.....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're dual 8" ported. For movies I'd use small lowest 40hz probably 60hz. For music full range will be fine

The Hz spec doesn't have +/- figure so could be anything +/-10db

JBL's spec is -6dB in the Studio 5 series literature/manual....

Top Bottom