• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any worthwhile active towers?

F1308

Major Contributor
Looks like a droid that is looking for a home.

let me know if the price drops or better maybe a group buy?!
How funny...
I live in Spain...
Not sure if destinations would be allowed to be different, but I am in for a try...if I finally decide to click...
Another issue I was told about is the fact that the wireless system would introduce a lag not suitable for my keyboard playing.
Anyway, we can keep watching...

Last edited:

OdysseusG

I heard the Janszen Valentina A8 at Axpona and they were outstanding. They're about $13k, active with hypex modules, and worked wonders in a hotel room that couldn't have been much bigger than 200 sq feet. Dave Janszen was great to talk to too, would fit right in here I think.

lherrm

If you're in Europe and can strech the budget a bit, the ME Geithain 804K might be worth a listen : https://www.me-geithain.de/en/me-804k.html

ME804K-Perspektive_V1.065643769bc27792f0db94ad3c165642.png

ME-804K-Freifeld-eng.png

OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

I heard the Janszen Valentina A8 at Axpona and they were outstanding. They're about $13k, active with hypex modules, and worked wonders in a hotel room that couldn't have been much bigger than 200 sq feet. Dave Janszen was great to talk to too, would fit right in here I think.
Very interesting I am looking for something that can be placed closer to the front wall.

OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

Thanks to everyone. I am in Canada (unfortunately in this case).

SMc

With the advancement in Class D type amp are there any worthwhile slim tower floorstander recommendations? (Ie. PMC, Dynaudio, others?)
To be matched with possibly a pre/DAC/streamer like a Lumin X1? Any thoughts?
Budget under $20000 USD, room size under 200 sq feet, prefer musical sound.
Thanks to everyone. I am in Canada (unfortunately in this case).
Not Class D, but Bryston and Axiom make powered speakers in Canada.

OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

Not Class D, but Bryston and Axiom make powered speakers in Canada.
Yes I saw that, it looks like Axiom has designed Bryston speakers, they to share similar features.

Having owned Axioms in the past I am not sure they are close to the Danish/German or US made pedigree of active offerings, but that remains to be discovered.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PSI A215M, and you'd have cash left over for subs/room correction. Linear phase, analog, made in Switzerland

OdysseusG

Very interesting I am looking for something that can be placed closer to the front wall.
The electrostat panel isn't a dipole, so they can go close to the front wall: they even have a preset for 2-12" from front wall.

F1308

Major Contributor
Nothing can get any closer to the wall...

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PSI A215M, and you'd have cash left over for subs/room correction. Linear phase, analog, made in Switzerland

These are pretty interesting - have you found any 3rd party measurements? For me, Google/DDG don't like to cough up reviews outside the US; I see 1 German review via PSI but looks like it's paywalled somehow.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what do you think PSI's active bass traps? Is there really something to it such that it justifies cost over the usual DuPont etc?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are pretty interesting - have you found any 3rd party measurements? For me, Google/DDG don't like to cough up reviews outside the US; I see 1 German review via PSI but looks like it's paywalled somehow.
Here is a PSI Audio model (A14-MS3) review and measurements by Sound & Recording, quite good, though not on highest reference level.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a PSI Audio model (A14-MS3) review and measurements by Sound & Recording, quite good, though not on highest reference level.

Thanks; in this case I'm hoping to find a review of that exact model as it somewhat breaks ranks with their other 2/3 way designs. We've seen what can happen to even the best when they stray too far outside their lane (NDH20 - obviously a bigger jump from speaker to headphone but firs texample I thought of)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At the risk of derailing the thread, what do you think PSI's active bass traps? Is there really something to it such that it justifies cost over the usual DuPont etc?

I have seen measurements of the active traps working to fill dips well. And more compact than most passive bass traps. But for that price, one could switch to multisubs! And they are sub-sized to boot.

And some crude A215M measurements here. Not very amazing but active floorstanders are slim pickings unless one goes for way overpriced options from home audio brands like those from Dynaudio, or obscure direct-sale speakers like the Buchardt that can't be demoed or returned readily.

F1308

Major Contributor
Another upcoming tower...!!!!

Pictures (being consistently removed) revealing a tower some 130 cm height with the typical Uni-Q at ear level when sitting and two subwoofers symetrically placed a bit above and below its axis, firing inwards and outwards, four radiating surfaces: think a couple of KC62 there.
Spotted in white, blue and grey.

11-28000 Hz +/-3dB ?

:):):):)

Last edited:

behappybevegan

Canton has several active towers. Their top model costs 8.500 euro a pair.

bloomdido

I wonder why no one mentions award-winning System Audio Legend 40.2 Silverback in this context. WISA, room correction etc.

Top Bottom