• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any worthwhile active towers?

Powerbench

With the advancement in Class D type amp are there any worthwhile slim tower floorstander recommendations? (Ie. PMC, Dynaudio, others?)
To be matched with possibly a pre/DAC/streamer like a Lumin X1? Any thoughts?
Budget under $20000 USD, room size under 200 sq feet, prefer musical sound.

F1308

Major Contributor
With the advancement in Class D type amp are there any worthwhile slim tower floorstander recommendations? (Ie. PMC, Dynaudio, others?)
To be matched with possibly a pre/DAC/streamer like a Lumin X1? Any thoughts?
Budget under $20000 USD, room size under 200 sq feet, prefer musical sound.
See Buchardt A700...
Wireless a possibility: WISA.
4 x 150 RMS / 330 Peak watts class D in each speaker.

And....Frequency response 17 - 40.000 Hz +/- 1.5dB that be can changed with a software they call Mastertunings.

I didn't buy them because I need a near field system...

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
You lot will regard them as old fashioned now, but I've always had a soft spot for the ATC 40A (well I would, wouldn't I? :) ). I don't think they get much 'wrong' in a small to medium size room... I'm ignoring the more furniture orientated larger models they do in expensive 'tower' form...

I have absolutely no idea on these at all, but a link to smaller models made me look -

Edit - Sincere apologies, I didn't see the budget. In the UK, I'd have upped the actives to ATC 50 or 100 Towers, but I suspect the US prices would be far higher as they're heavy lumps to ship... They may well be 'mature' designs, but I still find them worthy companions for long term music enjoyment and they never thump, screech or shout the 'deeeeetail' at you and don't fizzle up top, at least to me...

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynaudio XD 60, maybe. they have a well earned positive reputation for their monitors but The given specs on these are either typos or extremely optimistic: -3dB @ 18Hz? And 4x150W but only 200W max power consumption?

With that budget in that space for a "musical sound" (i.e. no sub required?) I'd personally be looking at a cardiod option like D&D 8C or Kii. Maybe Geithan unless you're in USA in which case they're impossible to find. But, none are specifically towers.

ELAC also has a few but from what little I can recall, they're nothing special. Otherwise I'd second @F1308 Buchardt recommendation

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Cheaper option: Nubert https://www.nubert.de/nupro-x-8000-rc/p3352/?category=331

nupro-x-8000-rc-weiss.jpg

From Dynaudio, I like this one (M5P):

iu

Last edited:
OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

Yes I am in Canada and have consider Kii and there stands or even with the sub units. Checking through the reviews and write ups (thank you) keep them coming…

F1308

Major Contributor

test1223

Backes & Müller
Bang & Olufson
Bohne Audio
Lyravox
Manger
Avantgarde Acoustic

With this budget there are plenty very good sounding options.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not quite freestanding towers, but borderline. They're big though, maybe too wide.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

anphex

Forum Donor
With this budget available, why not consider a modular setup? The main issue with active speakers that maybe in some future some codec, standard, firmware or chip will become obsolte and with that some part of the speaker too.

With a modular setup you can swap out any broken or obsolete piece any time you want and you're more flexible in the long run.

Zvu

That's not a large room so i wouldn't look at those behemots. Beolab 28 might be just the thing you need and it's well within your budget.

JiiPee

Gradient R-5A. The look may not be to everyone's taste, but the adjustable sound quality is excellent.
gradientr5.jpeg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Beolab 5
Beolab 20

They sound different from a kii 3. Kii is a very purist mathematical approach that gets you the best in sinad and shows every recording warts and all. B&O is less in sinad but more easy on the ears imo.

F1308

Major Contributor
And as we go climbing the stair towards the one million per woofer, I grab my $29,99 TWS Bluetooth earbuds and enjoy how astoundingly music can be made to sound.

:):):):)

Then arises another issue: what should be done with the remaining $19970.01

Last edited:
OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

With this budget available, why not consider a modular setup? The main issue with active speakers that maybe in some future some codec, standard, firmware or chip will become obsolte and with that some part of the speaker too.

With a modular setup you can swap out any broken or obsolete piece any time you want and you're more flexible in the long run.
My thoughts on it was considering a renown active monitor like the ATC
See Buchardt A700...
Wireless a possibility: WISA.
4 x 150 RMS / 330 Peak watts class D in each speaker.

And....Frequency response 17 - 40.000 Hz +/- 1.5dB that be can changed with a software they call Mastertunings.

I didn't buy them because I need a near field system...

whoa!

F1308

Major Contributor
Yes, I know. :):):):)
I admit it, am still yet thinking on bringing them in and move my keyboard a bit further...
Currently using a 14Hz -6dB capable system...
I feel it down to the bones and know there is no way back.
So 17 Hz -1.5dB is so tempting...
We might get a discount buying a couple...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Around summer prices drop some 10%...for a while.

Last edited:
OP
Powerbench

Powerbench

Gradient R-5A. The look may not be to everyone's taste, but the adjustable sound quality is excellent.
View attachment 203815
Looks like a droid that is looking for a home.
Yes, I know. :):):):)
I admit it, am still yet thinking on bringing them in and move my keyboard a bit further...
Currently using a 14Hz -6dB capable system...
I feel it down to the bones and know there is no way back.
So 17 Hz -1.5dB is so tempting...
We might get a discount buying a couple...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Around summer prices drop some 10%...for a while.
let me know if the price drops or better maybe a group buy?!

Top Bottom