• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any working AVRs that support HDMI 2.1, Dirac Live full-frequency, and Dirac Bass Control?

tusing

I can't seem to find a single AVR that supports HDMI 2.1, Dirac Live full-frequency, and Dirac Live Bass Control. The few that support Bass Control seem like they are all buggy messes. Half of them have shipped without working Dirac, the other half cost north of $4k while measuring worse than my microwave in terms of audio quality. And even then, none of them seem to support HDMI 2.1, which sucks, because who in their right mind would spend $4k on an AVR that can't even do 4K HDR @ 4:4:4 120Hz!

Are there any worthwhile AVRs at all in this sphere?

Edit: After some research, I've found the DDRC-88A with the DDRC-88BM provides BM almost as good as DLBC for a fourth of the cost. You can read my findings here. This is probably the route I will go, alongside the cheapest AVR that supports HDMI 2.1 pre-outs, since ASR has shown us that basically all AVRs have terrible audio pipelines regardless of price.

Last edited:

Flatlander

I can't seem to find a single AVR that supports HDMI 2.1, Dirac Live full-frequency, and Dirac Live Bass Control. The few that support Bass Control seem like they are all buggy messes. Half of them have shipped without working Dirac, the other half cost north of $4k while measuring worse than my microwave in terms of audio quality. And even then, none of them seem to support HDMI 2.1, which sucks, because who in their right mind would spend $4k on an AVR that can't even do 4K HDR @ 4:4:4 120Hz!

Are there any worthwhile AVRs at all in this sphere?
Wait until June when Onkyo releases its units. They are said to support all the stuff you mentioned, maybe with the exception of the Bass Control.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can just use eARC to get sound from consoles and plug them into the display directly. For PCs it doesn't matter at all since you can have separate audio and video HDMI connections.

I mean, it'd be nice to have, but it's not the end of the world. Which is probably why nobody is rushing to implement it. The rushed implementations were buggy as hell, to start with, lol.

Flak

Industry Insider

Qbd

You can just use eARC to get sound from consoles and plug them into the display directly. For PCs it doesn't matter at all since you can have separate audio and video HDMI connections.

I mean, it'd be nice to have, but it's not the end of the world. Which is probably why nobody is rushing to implement it. The rushed implementations were buggy as hell, to start with, lol.
While eARC can work, it is not a perfect solution. E.g. there are TVs that don’t support DTS:X over eARC, and there are quite a few reports of audio delays when using eARC in some setups, making it unsuitable for interactive use.

There’s also the lost convenience of routing everything through the receiver.

And if you had fun with ground loops before, just wait till you try a PC with not just one, but multiple HDMI cables interfacing your AV equipment.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
What Is very confusing is it looks like Dirac Live is bass control, ONE sub but cuts off @ 800 Hz. Dirac Live Full spectrum Adds support to 20K. Dirac Bass adds support for multiple subs. Product WEB sites for Onk, Pioneer etc. suggest they to not have the full spectrum. Only NAD has a item listing the upgrade from Live to Full Spectrum.

Beast76

What Is very confusing is it looks like Dirac Live is bass control, ONE sub but cuts off @ 800 Hz. Dirac Live Full spectrum Adds support to 20K. Dirac Bass adds support for multiple subs. Product WEB sites for Onk, Pioneer etc. suggest they to not have the full spectrum. Only NAD has a item listing the upgrade from Live to Full Spectrum.
All Dirac products are full spectrum. Dirac Live Bass Control (single sub or multiple sub) are additional purchases beyond the full spectrum Dirac product.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Then what is NAD charging another $100 for? Why is Dirac Live and Dirac live full spectrum listed separately?
Gad, id the product sheets were straight forward, or even, slim hope, dealers had a clue, it would not be that confusing. A couple Pioneer and Onk's might be good buys IF they were full spectrum, but I don't think so.

Flak

Industry Insider
. A couple Pioneer and Onk's might be good buys IF they were full spectrum, but I don't think so.
I can confirm that their Dirac correction is full bandwidth...

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Still confused. Contradictory information. I did not know Pioneer and Onkyo are now part of Voxx and it seems they are on-line only which is why I have not found them in stores.
Klipsh, Jamo, Heco, Pioneer, Onkyo, Energy, Mirage, Teac, Mac. I guess this reflects the marketing power of Sound United, Denon, Marantz, B&W, Polk, Definitive, Heos, Boston and Classe. Yamaha still owns Yamaha, Seems Sherwood has pulled from US market, Audio Control, Anthem, NAD, Sony still here. Rotel owned by Grand Green out of Hong Kong, Harmon owns Arcam, Revel, Levinson, Lexicon, and JBL. And so it goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom