• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any speakers you love that measure badly?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Devore O93s probably measure badly, but they sure sound good.

I have the same converse case as others: I dislike KEFs below the Reference range, to varying degrees.

As I’ve mentioned numerous times here I’m in the Devore fan club. I auditioned both the O/93 and O/96 extensively against many other speakers and loved both models - the O/96 especially. Plus I love how they look.

I’m the end I decided against them because I had some difficult ergonomic/aesthetic issues because my two channel speakers are set up in front of my projection screen wall. The Devores were too wide and would impinge on the viewing area of the screen behind them.

I ended up going with small skinny floor standing speakers - Joseph Audio Perspectives - which met both my ergonomic challenge and also sound luxurious.

I still sometimes think wistfully of owning the Devores though. They are among the most coveted speakers on the second hand market and always sell very fast.

badspeakerdesigner

I've got some kit speakers, one is Amiga from parts-express. It doesn't really have the best FR (not really much data on them) but they just sound really good to me. I think they work well because they go pretty low. I didn't take the top measurement but it looks to be gated, but these things have an f3 of like 34hz. In many ways I prefer them to my 8030c.

Amiga on and Off.jpg

When you get them in a room though things seem to kinda even out.

uopywNm.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Love? I don't know, but they're paid for, and don't send me speaker shopping, even after visiting an Audio Show.

Martin Logan reQuest here, for 25 years now.

With and without AcourateDRC EQ, the hole at 48Hz is the room, not the speaker

1679594365181.png

The remarkable thing about them seems to be the "phase" of the panels - flat at the listening position without any special windowing in REW

1679594980061.png

I've not seen a phase graph of another speaker in-room at distance that measures similarly.

Crossover from 12" sealed woofers at 180Hz.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How far from the back wall do you have them?

About 44 inches / 1.1176 meters from the front wall (the wall behind the speakers)

14.3 feet/4.37 meters from the back wall (behind the couch) that is widely open to more space on the left rear corner

My ears would be about 5 feet /1.524 meters from the back wall.

Ears 10 feet from the speakers.

aikofan

I love the poorly measuring Magnepan .7 speakers in my living room and the excellently measuring Genelec 8030c monitors in my home office almost equally.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About any electrostat I've heard that didn't have a cone woofer. Various Quads, Acoustats, Martin Logans, and Soundlabs. Also Apogee ribbons and some Magnepans with ribbons. In the correct room, being very large, Klipsch horns.

mk05

Forum Donor
I have a pair of Energy C5s that I am in love with. No clue if they measure horribly, but they sound wonderfully natural to me.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, a blatant problem with measuring protocols for speakers is that they are never ever tested while offloading -as an example- stuff under 80Hz (which in that case goes to a sub or two)... and hence often several of the observed anomalies may well disappear (especially all the stuff about a great bookshelf speaker "not having enough bass" etc). I do look at measurements, but I abstract them for my use case... not exact science though.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have loved women that measure (relatively) badly. I hope what is posted on ASR stays on ASR if you know what I mean.
We need you over at the A Call for Humor thread :D

Paul Ebert

Yes... all of the one's that I've designed and built myself :)
Well, except for the ones I built for my nephew. Those measured reasonably well for an amateur, if I do say so myself.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I'm fond of my GoldenEar Triton Seven's. Measurements that I've seen are at best OK.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I lived with a pair B&W 800 D2 for a year. They are awesome speakers. They create a huge sound that is addictive. However, they are not correct. That is why I switched to Revel Salon2. A bit less awesome sound but perfect in every other way.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I lived with a pair B&W 800 D2 for a year. They are awesome speakers. They create a huge sound that is addictive. However, they are not correct. That is why I switched to Revel Salon2. A bit less awesome sound but perfect in every other way.
Kind of like eating your greens?

Personally I prefer awesome... whether it is "correct" or not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of like eating your greens?

Personally I prefer awesome... whether it is "correct" or not.
I thought so too but after a year “awesome” was too much.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking of my own version of awesome... been enjoying the hell out of my DIY project for years. I know they are not "correct", but they sound great to me. Of course I could run them through a DSP and make them look much better, but this is an analog system. Also, the 40Hz suck out is a measurement error from floor bounce. At the listening position it goes away, but since the speakers do not have stellar polar response the overall response tilts down a bit and is even more uneven.

Widget 60%22 Axis 1.png

Last edited:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My old pro audio Tannoy V12s. They definitely have "slam"...and present a benign load so don't need heaps of power.
I like them best with valves personally.

Finally got my insurance payout cheque after a badly broken leg (red light running SUV vs motorcycle, pre-covid)
Bought what I hope will be my endgame speakers: a pair of Neumann KH310s and a second BK XXLS400FF sub. Absolutely loving them... the accuracy and definition is sublime.... but still fire up the VTL/Tannoys for an old school rock out after a libation or two...

All good in the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Yeah, my Infinity Kappa 8.2ii have huge midrange shelves ab standard. Reacted very well to correction though so they are now flat.
I love them. In their corrected state. And I love the cabinets in oak.

Top Bottom