• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KLIPPEL USERS POSTING ON YT?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yup.

1961 bookshelf and tower speakers arrived today. :)

1723 are in the works but they didn't want to send everything at once. Which, I'm fine with.
Fantastic, looking forward watching and reading your reviews!

sdiver68

Yep. Some people just learn differently. (or consume differently, for that matter)

Spot on.

Some people learn best via in-person, some with video, some with written, some with charts/graphs/images. The cadence of learning also varies wildly.

All of these apply to marketing as well. Lessons learned working with education, corporate training, and marketing experts.

Having all available is awesome (but I generally ignore the videos for this type of learning).

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep. Some people just learn differently. (or consume differently, for that matter)

I personally find both useful. And I have done a lot of home repairs and mechanical maintenance with the help of some YouTube videos as well. :)
YouTube videos are most useful for illustrating unfamiliar home repairs and mechanical maintenance that we want to replicate. That formula does not apply to speaker reviews. A serious issue with speaker review videos is that they force us to sit through all the boilerplate and unrelated chatter that we would quickly skim over in a print review. Those who are good at speed reading are especially penalized by the snail's pace of video and would be most likely to resent the waste of time. Optimally all pertinent data would be included in both the print and video reviews so neither would be missing anything of importance.

sdiver68

YouTube videos are most useful for illustrating unfamiliar home repairs and mechanical maintenance that we want to replicate. That formula does not apply to speaker reviews. A serious issue with speaker review videos is that they force us to sit through all the boilerplate and unrelated chatter that we would quickly skim over in a print review. Those who are good at speed reading are especially penalized by the snail's pace of video and would be most likely to resent the waste of time. Optimally all pertinent data would be included in both the print and video reviews so neither would be missing anything of importance.

Research shows this is true for you (and me) but not true for all, except the optimal to have all learning channels available part.

For example, https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/effective-educational-videos/

More Dynamics Please

Research shows this is true for you (and me) but not true for all, except the optimal to have all learning channels available part.

For example, https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/effective-educational-videos/

I don't see that piece on effective educational videos applicable to speaker review videos in that doesn't address the issue of all the boilerplate and extraneous chatter we have to sit through in a speaker review video that we could skim over in print. Of course if someone has extra time to sit through speaker review videos and finds them more entertaining than print it's great to have that option available.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
YouTube videos are most useful for illustrating unfamiliar home repairs and mechanical maintenance that we want to replicate. That formula does not apply to speaker reviews.

The majority of my viewer base would beg to differ. In fact, one of my recent videos received a lot of replies like the ones below showing your statement to be factually incorrect.

1642273426286.png

1642273242614.png

1642273316413.png

1642273352468.png

As you can see, videos do help people's understanding. That's my goal. If you don't get anything from a video then OK. But that is certainly not the case for everyone, as you can see from the replies above.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

The majority of my viewer base would beg to differ. In fact, one of my recent videos received a lot of replies like the ones below showing your statement to be factually incorrect.

View attachment 179233

View attachment 179228

View attachment 179231

View attachment 179232

As you can see, videos do help people's understanding. That's my goal. If you don't get anything from a video then OK. But that is certainly not the case for everyone, as you can see from the replies above.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my first post. In a subsequent post I acknowledged that some people prefer video to print and that's fine. Video and print can be done of anything. For example I generally prefer a concise video to printed instructions for learning how to perform unfamiliar home repairs and mechanical maintenance because it helps me visualize the mechanical steps to be taken. But I gain nothing from a speaker review video that I can't get in print and print is a much more efficient use of my time because I can get through it much quicker. As long as you're doing both video and print everyone should be happy including me. :)

Hydrav

Yup.

1961 bookshelf and tower speakers arrived today. :)

1723 are in the works but they didn't want to send everything at once. Which, I'm fine with.

Amazing work. We're so lucky to have independent reviewers like you and Amir objectively measuring these speakers. Even if I'm not currently in the market for speakers I love following along just to see the surprises and disappointments. It's like we're finally uncovering a market which was before shrouded in darkness.

As previously mentioned, a european Klippel reviewer would be a welcome addition. But considering the massive cost of the Klippel system, as well as time required to measure speakers, I'm surprised we even have Amir and Erin doing this.

A sidenote: although I definitely think the focus should be on measuring current speakers which are within the budget of normal people, I think it would be interesting to see measurements of old and obscure speakers too at some point, e.g. old PC speakers (anyone remember these speakers, lol) , old home therater-in-a-box speakers etc. This would be simply for entertainment of course.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I disagree.

I've had much more positive feedback regarding the intent to "teach" via video vs my written reviews. I still do both. But I focus more effort on the videos so I can kind of walk through the data with people and help them understand things I look for and things they may want to pay attention to. The people who already know this stuff or want to read have plenty of resources for that. It's like college. If they'd handed me a book of propulsion grain patterns and said "alright, go build a rocket" I probably wouldn't have been as successful as I had when I had a professor I could converse with and learn from.

But, hey, we have plenty of resources for both. And I still provide the data and short writeups on things I see in the data. I just choose to also do videos because I think that serves my goal of bringing in fresh blood to the hobby. I don't read or watch anyone's reviews much anymore. I look at the data and I'm out. But I've also been doing this a while. Not every enthusiast has.

Differently people have different learning styles. For me, video are tedious and linear. It does not suit my learning style at least for this material. For others it or something like it is essential. Both have value to different people.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Differently people have different learning styles. For me, video are tedious and linear. It does not suit my learning style at least for this material. For others it or something like it is essential. Both have value to different people.

That’s been said a few times in this thread already. ;)

Deschu

It’s not the NFS, but it’s possible to put a laser on the ARTA system for linearity measurements ala Klippel’s smaller system at fairly low cost.

I’ve got the motion control and positioner side and mechanical side under control, but I don’t have the space or the signal processing chops to support an open-source NFS attempt if folks are interested.

Finally, with tools such as ARTA and REW and interfaces such as the QuantAsylum QA403 and Motu 1248/etc, it’s not the hardware so much as it is the ability and discipline to set up a consistent (with self and community) system as soon as things leave the near field.

I’d also be interested in exploring strobed photogrammetric measurement of moving diaphragms, which I believe could have a DIY hardware cost well below that of the laser triangulation sensors used by Klippel and ARTA even if the data is far more complicated to process.

Last edited:

Deschu

Geoff Hill’s Tetrahedral Test Chamber also probably deserves mention as an alternative to big anechoic chamber testing.

Top Bottom