• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KLIPPEL USERS POSTING ON YT?

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have followed Amir's ASR posts and videos for a couple of years now with satisfaction. Recently, I've picked up on Erin's posts and channel for more of the same.

Are there any other reviewers out there who use the Klippel test system for speakers and/or the Audio Precision system for resting electronics? Both Amir and Erin do a very credible job of measuring and reporting. But sadly, they cannot test everything on the market, even just the good stuff.

I have pretty much truncated reliance on any subjective reviewers, for good reasons. Their reasons are, mostly, that they cannot be calibrated. They like different types of music, have obviously different hearing, and a few seem biased by other issues. So subjective-only reviewers play no part in this. But they can be entertaining and humorous.

I would simply like to have more objective reviews of more gear with good measuring systems, approaches, and low prejudice. Know of any others?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
If someone else bought the Klippel NFS, we would have heard by now.

Outside of a few companies who bought NFS for their own testing (of course) and Markwyn Warkwyn facility (who can test speakers if you send it to them for a reasonable price of around $1k), there’s no other consumers who bought it.

Not everyone has an extra $100,000 laying around.

Also, WHY ARE WE YELLING?

Last edited:
OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Outside of a few companies who bought NFS for their own testing (of course) and Markwyn facility (who can test speakers if you send it to them for a reasonable price of around $1k), there’s no other consumers who bought it.

Q: Why the snark? Oh, wait... WHY THE SNARK?

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure What Hifi and Stereophile have one :cool:

bigjacko

Klippel is sure a good and easy machine to do measurement, but it is hard to imagine it is the only one. Are there other options other than klippel on the market?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klippel is sure a good and easy machine to do measurement, but it is hard to imagine it is the only one. Are there other options other than klippel on the market?

The NFS technique used by Klippel is extremely advanced and new, and the Klippel product is the only turnkey measurement platform available using it.

bigjacko

The NFS technique used by Klippel is extremely advanced and new, and the Klippel product is the only turnkey measurement platform available using it.
Thanks, are there others that are not turnkey but still usable?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Outside of a few companies who bought NFS for their own testing (of course) and Markwyn facility (who can test speakers if you send it to them for a reasonable price of around $1k), there’s no other consumers who bought it.

What and where is the Markwyn facility?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What and where is the Markwyn facility?
Typo'd...:facepalm:

Warkwyn

KSTR

Major Contributor
I really wish I had the additional time and energy to do electrical tests and reviews as I have a fully equipped electronics lab including an AP (older model, though) and by this I could volunteer to help the situation in Germany/Europe... but alas I still have a day job and a family, and other hobbies.
I might be able to do one review per month or so (of small / light weight gear, DACs, preamps, headphone amps, helper gadgets and such), will need to think about this...

In case this would actually materialize the format would be text, not video. Video is IMHO a most unsuited format for technical reviews, basically worthless.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Video is IMHO a most unsuited format for technical reviews, basically worthless.

I disagree.

I've had much more positive feedback regarding the intent to "teach" via video vs my written reviews. I still do both. But I focus more effort on the videos so I can kind of walk through the data with people and help them understand things I look for and things they may want to pay attention to. The people who already know this stuff or want to read have plenty of resources for that. It's like college. If they'd handed me a book of propulsion grain patterns and said "alright, go build a rocket" I probably wouldn't have been as successful as I had when I had a professor I could converse with and learn from.

But, hey, we have plenty of resources for both. And I still provide the data and short writeups on things I see in the data. I just choose to also do videos because I think that serves my goal of bringing in fresh blood to the hobby. I don't read or watch anyone's reviews much anymore. I look at the data and I'm out. But I've also been doing this a while. Not every enthusiast has.

KSTR

Major Contributor
As I said, IHMO.
Video alwas feels like really bad lecturing to me. Not time to digest at your own pace, difficult to look up / google things you don't understand, etc.
Whereas with a book or properly written article the processes of getting a grip on a topic is much more interactive, interactive with oneself, so to say.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Yep. Some people just learn differently. (or consume differently, for that matter)

I personally find both useful. And I have done a lot of home repairs and mechanical maintenance with the help of some YouTube videos as well. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Some people just learn differently. (or consume differently, for that matter)

I personally find both useful. And I have done a lot of home repairs and mechanical maintenance with the help of some YouTube videos as well. :)
Erin just thought I'd mention that your recent reviews have been outstanding. I mean they meet the standard you developed with the previous reviews, but the products you are testing are very relevant and interesting. Monoprice, Emotiva, Kii.

I would love to see some Arendals to compare to the Monoprice.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin just thought I'd mention that your recent reviews have been outstanding. I mean they meet the standard you developed with the previous reviews, but the products you are testing are very relevant and interesting. Monoprice, Emotiva, Kii.

I would love to see some Arendals to compare to the Monoprice.

Thanks, man.

I have talked to Arendal. Actually, one of their dealers reached out to them and asked if they would send me stuff for review. Arendal contacted me and asked what I would want to review. I asked folks on my channel and then told Arendal. Arendal then asked if we could wait until mid-December to resume the request because it would be easier on their shipping, IIRC. Maybe a shipment warehouse thing. So I will email them in a week or two and go from there.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, man.

I have talked to Arendal. Actually, one of their dealers reached out to them and asked if they would send me stuff for review. Arendal contacted me and asked what I would want to review. I asked folks on my channel and then told Arendal. Arendal then asked if we could wait until mid-December to resume the request because it would be easier on their shipping, IIRC. Maybe a shipment warehouse thing. So I will email them in a week or two and go from there.

Arendal and Monoprice strike me as very important manufacturers because they have leveraged the concept of single woofer type + robust waveguide HF unit so well. They make bigger speakers by just adding more woofers (kind of like Kef with R3, R5, R7 or whatever). This is a very logical and economical way to make a speaker, and the prices they offer are very attractive.

I'm very interested if they can compete with Revel, who invariably use smaller midrange units and smaller waveguides on top.

Top Bottom