• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any negatives to shielded ac cables?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm using shielded power cables with all my audio/computer equipment, I bought them before I learned it shouldn't really make a difference. Are there any negatives to using shielded power cables for audio or computer components?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
In the past, shielded AC power cables were used with some PC computers and printers. The were used to reduce the amount of interference radiated by to PC or printer. So the unit could pass FCC limits.
But if the shielded cord is 'UL' listed , you will be good to go.
Ram Electronics has some nice ones:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Not other than cost, and the shield does add capacitance that could filter some noise (that your power supply should completely reject anyway, but in audio everyone's an outlier).

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy shielded mains cables NOT from an audio manufacturer that would not cost that much, ( if one insist on having them ) , but nowadays I would just use what’s came in the box with my equipment. That would save resources better used elsewhere.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm using shielded power cables with all my audio/computer equipment, I bought them before I learned it shouldn't really make a difference. Are there any negatives to using shielded power cables for audio or computer components?
They will have no disadvantage, now that you already have them.

Top Bottom