• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any good cheap tube amps?

Hey there! I'm currently using a schiit stack modi/magni 3 running a pair of hd600 and lcd2c. I'm going to try to grab a thx 789 at the next drop for some cleaner power, but I am interested in trying some tube sound. I have never tried tubes but reading through the forum it seems like the consensus is that only a really good design adds the tube "character" without extra distortion. It's there a cheap way I can get that tube sound to try?
Thanks in advance!

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a little dot i+, it's a tube hybrid, so the amplification is still SS. Swapping tubes does change the way it sounds.

Ratatoskr

If you don't mind building a kit for high impedance phones only you could try a Bottlehead Crack 1.1 OTL with the Speedball upgrade. There is also the Schiit Valhalla 2 to consider. You could probably find both used on Head-Fi classifieds. The Massdrop x Eddie Current ZDT Jr was the tube amp under $500 to get. If there is enough interest maybe there will be another drop.

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
If you want outrageous tube sound, look to the DarkVoice 336se, under $300. Yes, you get extra distortion, but to my ears it’s delightful as an option with my Sennheiser 6xx. Works well only with high impedance headphones. It’s all very sophisticated, you see - a spouse, Fidelity, and a mistress, Euphony.

OP
F
Hmm... Lots of good options it looks like. Are there any comparisons between any of them or any good place to find measurements?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Start with this fundamental question: what is your idea of "good"? That sounds trite, but actually, it's an extremely important first step. Things like "tube sound" are pretty much meaningless.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
F
Start with this fundamental question: what is your idea of "good"? That sounds trite, but actually, it's an extremely important first step. Things like "tube sound" are pretty much meaningless.
I guess I'm in the exploration phase right now because I honestly don't know. I've only experienced solid state amps and never experienced the differences with a tube amp. What I do know I like is my massdrop th-x00 are really fun, but feel closed in. My HD600 feels boring and sterile(?), but I really like the clarity. A lot of internet chatter says a tube amp pairs well with the HD600? I also ordered the lcd2c and aeon flow open to try some other stuff headphone wise too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
99.99% of internet chatter is safely ignored.:D

A well-engineered tube amp with a low source impedance will sound identical to a well engineered solid state amp if levels are matched and you're judging by ear only (no peeking). If you want to get a sense of what a less well-engineered tube headphone amp will do (assuming it's not one of the numerous products that just wedge in a tube, but retain a solid state output), stick a 15 or 20 ohm resistor in series with the output of one of your solid state amps. That will slightly change the frequency response of the headphones in the way high source impedance tube amps do.

Really, it sounds to me like you'd do better playing around with EQ and forgetting the "tube sound" hype.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it might turn on what you mean by "good". If you are looking for low distortion, very few tube amps fit the bill. If you want lots of second order harmonics, most will give you it.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Can't we just add whatever distortions we want with software? Does such software not exist?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, it's easy to add all the second harmonic you want (though it's surprisingly hard to hear unless really gross) via software. But it doesn't have the inconvenience and expense of tubes, therefore not as good. :cool:

Shadrach

Here you go.
I've got an earlier model that I've 'improved' a bit.:facepalm:;)

http://world-designs.co.uk/headphone amps.htm
It's definitely got tubes. I have no idea how it measures. I'm waiting for a JDS atom at the moment and when it arrives I will be interested to hear for myself if there are audible differences.
The unit I have came as a kit. The kit comes with everything you need to build a working amplifier. I found the build very straightforward and it all worked first time round. The instruction were clear, the parts easy to identify and the circuit board reasonably well laid out and of average quality.
On the positive side, it will drive the high impedance headphones I have with ease. I haven't had the volume control past 10 o'clock and it goes all the way round to 5 pm.
It did hum a little but I have read the newer models have sorted this out.

Krunok

Major Contributor
A well-engineered tube amp with a low source impedance will sound identical to a well engineered solid state amp if levels are matched and you're judging by ear only (no peeking).

Very true. I have to switch my tube amp and my SS amp very quickly in order to hear the difference - and the only difference I hear is a slight roll-off at HF with tube amp.

Of course, after a bottle of good wine and stearing at the glowing tubes while smoking a cigar I start to believe it sounds more "lively" than SS amp, and my friends readilly confirm that. Tomorrow we always lough at ourselves! :D

Samoyed

Very true. I have to switch my tube amp and my SS amp very quickly in order to hear the difference - and the only difference I hear is a slight roll-off at HF with tube amp.

Of course, after a bottle of good wine and stearing at the glowing tubes while smoking a cigar I start to believe it sounds more "lively" than SS amp, and my friends readilly confirm that. Tomorrow we always lough at ourselves! :D
Stearing and loughing could mean stopper the wine....;)

Top Bottom