• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any decent AVR's out there?

ET4

It seems nearly all the reviews on here don't really have a good word to say about AVR's in general. I think the only one I've seen that comes close to 'ok' is the Denon AVR-X3600.
I can understand manufacturers making cuts in certain areas (cheaper components etc.) to hit price points and this potentially having a knock on effect to sound quality, but it seems the more expensive AVR's from the likes of Arcam etc. still don't get a thumbs up?
So I think my question is why? (for a start) and how do better readings on here translate into improved sound quality from the AVR?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Search the forum for the current Denon X Series. They measure all well enough to sound neural ie not adding audible distortion.

Katji

Major Contributor
I can understand manufacturers making cuts in certain areas (cheaper components etc.) to hit price points and this potentially having a knock on effect to sound quality, but it seems the more expensive AVR's from the likes of Arcam etc. still don't get a thumbs up?
See the notes at the end of the reviews explaining why recommended or not, and the annotations on the test data graphs and the comments paragraphs with them.
There are some threads that explain the tests and measurements, you could probably find them pinned to the top of the relevant review sections.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon X series, Anthem current Generation MRX540+ and AVM70+, and Trinnov all received good ratings and reviews. Ultimately though they will not be in the same league as a simple dedicated stereo setup like a Topping DAC+Buckeye Amplifier. Too much other stuff in an AVR bringing up the noise floor like multiple integrated circuits for DSP and multiple AV codecs and lots of channels demanding of a single power supply in the same chassis.

delta76

Major Contributor
x3700h or x4700h are both your best bet. they are more than just decent/OK-ish. Of course, they can't compete with a top of the line DAC, or AMP on specific measurements. but you likely won't hear a difference. And most importantly, you can't buy individual components for same features at same price.

delta76

Major Contributor
In fact I have been recommending people here to just buy an AVR instead of dac + amp + streamer + room eq. yes if you have the knowledge, time and budget to do so, building a complete setup could be a lot of fun. otherwise AVR is the most convenience and cost effective way to do so, even if you only have stereo atm

Snoopy

Major Contributor
In fact I have been recommending people here to just buy an AVR instead of dac + amp + streamer + room eq. yes if you have the knowledge, time and budget to do so, building a complete setup could be a lot of fun. otherwise AVR is the most convenience and cost effective way to do so, even if you only have stereo atm
If someone has only stereo wouldn't it make much more sense to buy something like the lyngdorf tdai 1120, nad m10v2 or similar that have hdmi in, streaming (including roon) , room EQ etc?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are there any decent AVR's out there?​

Yes!

To the OP. An AVR with Pre-out and at least Audyssey XT32 or equivalent (if any), should be the anchor of any audio or audio-video system. be it 2 or Multi-channel. music or HT. Something like the Denon AVR-X3700 can anchor a good to excellent audio system. I am not far from saying such AVR is mandatory for the enthusiast, unless they, she or he can swing for Trinnov, Storm, Lyngdorf or equivalent.

Peace.

delta76

Major Contributor
If someone has only stereo wouldn't it make much more sense to buy something like the lyngdorf tdai 1120, nad m10v2 or similar that have hdmi in, streaming (including roon) , room EQ etc?
if space is a premium then could be. note that AVR is much more popular, so the economy of scale applies, you get so much for so little money. And what if you want to expand your setup into a home theatre later?

Both of the products you mentioned are significantly more expensive than x3700h for very little gain (mostly in space)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Denon X series, Anthem current Generation MRX540+ and AVM70+, and Trinnov all received good ratings and reviews. Ultimately though they will not be in the same league as a simple dedicated stereo setup like a Topping DAC+Buckeye Amplifier. Too much other stuff in an AVR bringing up the noise floor like multiple integrated circuits for DSP and multiple AV codecs and lots of channels demanding of a single power supply in the same chassis.
AVR specs are slowly improving. Most of the differences are inaudible. Anthem worth price due to room correction. Of course, if only giant power supplies were external, then specs would improve vastly.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The Onkyo RZ50 was also tested, and although Amir looked askance at its handling of 4ohm speakers - it is on a par with the Denon's... (as are its siblings from Integra and Pioneer)

Very happy with my Integra DRX 3.4

Reactions: ET4

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If only…. I live in the UK and nowhere seems to sell them.

Yep, the only place in Europe that managed to get any stock, was one retailer in Poland... so far.

They have been "on the way" for over a year now!

SDMatt

The only component I know of that offers DIRAC and pre-outs at $1400 is Onkyo/Pioneer Elite/Integra. Throw in 4K/120hz or 8k/60hz over HDMI and it is the current receiver to beat. Nothing else currently on the market offers that combination of features at that price point.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Denon Xx700's are starting to disappear - X3700's are now getting harder to find in some places, and there is no additional stock coming in - seems like they are preparing for the launch of the Xx800's

There have been rumours that the Xx800's will include Dirac (replacing Audyssey)...

So this 4th QTR might well be an interesting time - with Denon/Marantz launching their new AVR's, and Onkyo/Pioneer launching their Flagship models - it may well shift the value equations for some of us... Or it may not... The Integra DRX 3.4, is what I bought, and nothing so far has shifted my opinion of its value... - but I know I can move it on for pretty close to what I paid for it.... and it is well within the realm of the possible that I will look to upgrade in early 2023....

The features I would like in addition to what the 3.4 has:

1. Dual Sub integration/EQ such as DLBC, or - even better - Unison... new yet to be released Dirac capabilities. - I feel this may happen for TOTL models.
  2. Amplifier capabilities on a par or better than what was available on the old Flagship models... 165W@8ohm into stereo... 140W@8ohm multichannel, and the ability to supply current for "difficult" speakers (like mine) - this feels like a forlorn hope, don't think it will happen
  3. Auro3D capabilities (I hear the Mixer is good with music!) - already available on the X4 and X6 Denon/Marantz... may come to TOTL Onkyo's?
  4. 96kHz DSP rather than 48KHz - this is a nice to have, tick in the box... not convinced it will make an audible difference - the Denon/Marantzes already have it

MLaranjeiras

As you can see on my profile picture, I have three components for both stereo and multichanel. For stereo, the Pioneer VSX LX 503 can not face the Sansui AU-X911DG performance. The Oppo BDP 105 serves well both. For a time, I was thinking about an expensive NAD T778 to reduce my set to two gears only, removing the integrated amplifier. Due the high cost (for me) of the NAD and the mediocre performance on ASR tests, I realized that I am already happy without to perceive. I also have on a B set with an old US$ 150.00 Mac Mini with Tidal (no Audirvana for now), an excellent Topping US$ 260.00 E50 MQA DAC and a smooth and refined sound of a US$ 200.00 Sansui A-α7 (Alpha Series family). My final focus is some cables and one pair of speakers for the mais set, once a pair of US$ 250.00 and wonderful Dali Spektor 2 on my B set made of me a very very happy man, spending less than US$ 1,000.00 on this B set (because I invested US$ 200.00 on an used Wireworld interconnect Eclipse 7 RCA cable and US$ 60.00 on an Oyaide S Class USB cable, even not being sure if it sounds better than a US$ 7.00 printer cable :). And now I listen more and more a voice saying "hey, stop running around, you fool!"

Molon_Labe

Denon Xx700's are starting to disappear - X3700's are now getting harder to find in some places, and there is no additional stock coming in - seems like they are preparing for the launch of the Xx800's

There have been rumours that the Xx800's will include Dirac (replacing Audyssey)...

So this 4th QTR might well be an interesting time - with Denon/Marantz launching their new AVR's, and Onkyo/Pioneer launching their Flagship models - it may well shift the value equations for some of us... Or it may not... The Integra DRX 3.4, is what I bought, and nothing so far has shifted my opinion of its value... - but I know I can move it on for pretty close to what I paid for it.... and it is well within the realm of the possible that I will look to upgrade in early 2023....

The features I would like in addition to what the 3.4 has:

1. Dual Sub integration/EQ such as DLBC, or - even better - Unison... new yet to be released Dirac capabilities. - I feel this may happen for TOTL models.
  2. Amplifier capabilities on a par or better than what was available on the old Flagship models... 165W@8ohm into stereo... 140W@8ohm multichannel, and the ability to supply current for "difficult" speakers (like mine) - this feels like a forlorn hope, don't think it will happen
  3. Auro3D capabilities (I hear the Mixer is good with music!) - already available on the X4 and X6 Denon/Marantz... may come to TOTL Onkyo's?
  4. 96kHz DSP rather than 48KHz - this is a nice to have, tick in the box... not convinced it will make an audible difference - the Denon/Marantzes already have it
You forgot number #5 - 16 channels
A Denon/Marantz Dirac marriage would be blissful. IMHO, they need to adopt Dirac to remain compettivie. I was a long time D/M owner across multiple genrations for several decades, but I will never go back to Audyssey. I am a big Onkyo fan so if D/M doesn't adpot Dirac its not the end of the world. My last generation 1100z has been flawless in my living room running 8+ hours a day for years. It runs much cooler than my last D/M processors. If the new lines are the same quality with Dirac, then they are one hell of a receiver for the price.

Top Bottom