• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any DACs that have an SD card slot and remote control that are home units - not portable DAPs?

Destination: Moon

Hi,

I'm new to the high end DAC world and looking to upgrade my home stereo. I just received a Hiby R3 Saber. It's fantastic! - but has a problem (or I got a bad unit) so looking at alternatives.

Thanks!

Tortie

Forum Donor
Have you tried screening your search for networking DACs? Some of those have USB input to plug in flash drives. There's inexpensive USB sdcard reader adapters that let you plug in an sdcard micro card into a USB port.

ctbarker32

Why do't you build a RPi based media streamer using DAC Hat's from HiFiBerry, JustBoom, Allo, etc? Look at Picoreplayer, HiFiBerry OS, Ropiee, etc.

Stephen Alfred

Yes, Bifrost 2 from Schiit Audio, made in California, USA: https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1
Autonomy™ Architecture: Easy Street to the Future
Turn Bifrost 2 around, and you’ll see that this DAC is completely modular. Not only that, the modules are designed to slide in from the back of the chassis, meaning this DAC will never have to come back to Schiit for upgrades—you can do it yourself. Firmware updates? Sure, if there are firmware updates, just use the external MicroSD card slot—again, no need for it to come home. Compare this to other DACs, even DACs costing many times more. Only Bifrost 2 provides complete hardware and firmware upgradability, without sending the product in for service.

Top Bottom