• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any co-axial passive radiator monitors?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With DSP, I'd agree.

I'm tempted to take that as a challenge :cool:

But seriously, I suspect some of the JTR speakers accomplish both without DSP. I wouldn't be embarrassed of measurements like these in a direct-radiating speaker, for example.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm tempted to take that as a challenge :cool:

But seriously, I suspect some of the JTR speakers accomplish both without DSP. I wouldn't be embarrassed of measurements like these in a direct-radiating speaker, for example.

I'd have to hear them.

I don't know what it is about 'horn coloration', I've had some friends build home theater horns that looked good on paper, but when listened to they sounded...well, like movie theater speakers.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What feature of a speaker is responsible for that forward, 3D, transient right in front of your face effect?
I’ve had ribbon tweeters with super fast transient response but still don’t compete with a standard dome co-axial.
It’s like this strange out of speaker depth thing, it’d hard to explain, it isn’t just increased high end or anything, it’s a very 3D sound

There's the vertical directivity as well as HF beam-width control from the horn waveguide which limits the effects of room reflections -- with the S6/S8 at least.

There's also the (more coherent?) time-domain response that extends well-into the midrange:

1608166289858.png

Typical speakers start to rise increasingly -- quite early beginning at 2-3 kHz.

OP
E

EPC

There's the vertical directivity as well as HF beam-width control from the horn waveguide which limits the effects of room reflections -- with the S6/S8 at least.

There's also the (more coherent?) time-domain response that extends well-into the midrange:

View attachment 99673

Typical speakers start to rise increasingly -- quite early beginning at 2-3 kHz.
Based on what you just said, do you know of any monitors that would be good for that forward sound, based on the specs

OP
E

EPC

Does the room have much of an effect when monitoring low with nearfields?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Based on what you just said, do you know of any monitors that would be good for that forward sound, based on the specs

I am afraid my experience is too limited to make any kind of speaker recommendation. But I'd probably try to make EQ adjustments to taste first as that is the easiest route to take.

Does the room have much of an effect when monitoring low with nearfields?

The room will always have an effect regardless of volume -- even when treated. Our brains are usually good at discarding that extraneous information to focus primarily on the direct sound -- albeit, to a point. Besides any kind of speaker 'tone control' EQ, one may need to add an additional layer of 'room EQ' correction as well. I find it quickest to perform MMM for this purpose.

gvl

Major Contributor
Centrance ventured into speaker design once and came up Coaxial passives. They had good imaging and decent looks but terrible frequency response. I could EQ that to a point and they sounded better after. If you can find them used for $100 tops maybe worth a shot.

Top Bottom