• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any audio review sites that can be trusted.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. First, not going near anything that mentions "audiophile".

I don't know what "audioshark" is, but the name alone doesn't create gigantic interest.

I object to your pro-teleost bias!

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. First, not going near anything that mentions "audiophile".
I don't know what "audioshark" is, but the name alone doesn't create gigantic interest.

There are some good reviews/articles on audiophilestyle, including some very nice ones by our own @mitchco
Tons of 100% subjective idiocy as well, granted.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Thanks @PierreV I really appreciate that! Here is a list of reviews/articles I wrote. I joined "Computer Audiophile" in 2011 as it seemed to be the only site at the time dedicated to "computer based audio."

Part of it was education for me as folks were making claims on how bitperfect could sound different, etc., so I started experimenting with null or difference testing and trying to correlate what I heard with what I measured. It came pretty quickly that with no measured difference, I could not hear a difference :) I repeated this experiment with a few variations, including varying away from bitperfect by adding artefacts to see how far away from bitperfect I needed to get to actually hear a difference in an ABX test. It was an ear opening experience as by about 12 or 13 bits resolution, I could not hear a difference.

Anyway, I am grateful for Chris for allowing me the opportunity to experiment and write articles, along with a number of speaker reviews and getting heavily in DRC/DSP. But other than my articles and some from @mansr and @Archimago on MQA, there are very few with any objective measurements.

mansr

Major Contributor
Thanks @PierreV I really appreciate that! Here is a list of reviews/articles I wrote. I joined "Computer Audiophile" in 2011 as it seemed to be the only site at the time dedicated to "computer based audio."

Part of it was education for me as folks were making claims on how bitperfect could sound different, etc., so I started experimenting with null or difference testing and trying to correlate what I heard with what I measured. It came pretty quickly that with no measured difference, I could not hear a difference :) I repeated this experiment with a few variations, including varying away from bitperfect by adding artefacts to see how far away from bitperfect I needed to get to actually hear a difference in an ABX test. It was an ear opening experience as by about 12 or 13 bits resolution, I could not hear a difference.

Anyway, I am grateful for Chris for allowing me the opportunity to experiment and write articles, along with a number of speaker reviews and getting heavily in DRC/DSP. But other than my articles and some from @mansr and @Archimago on MQA, there are very few with any objective measurements.
Computer Audiophile Style is dead. In case you missed it, I was recently banned from the site along with anyone else who didn't applaud the establishment of an "objectivist" ghetto where any unwanted criticism of snake oil could be quarantined to protect the believers' fragile egos. Thinking back, it's pretty clear that the site has drifted ever closer to pure subjectivism in step with the increasing value of Chris' audio gear. It must be close to a million dollars in MSRP by now, though I doubt he paid anywhere close to that amount. He's in the "big boys" club now. He deserves no gratitude.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do websites like audio stream censor their comments ?.

That is the status quo... There was a developer for the SGI CPU side of the house on Audiostream talking about how cache works (this was in a long thread with John Swenson BTW) and how John was incorrect in his understanding. It started off by censoring posts, and then ultimately banning him.

What moron bans a fucking CPU developer from freely laying down solid engineering principle is just mind boggling.

**Edit** here is the part 3 of 3 page where John Sully takes John Swenson to the woodshed

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Trust is Probably the wrong measure , there's a lot of sites all contain a amount of unreliable information some worse than others .

If they have sponsorship of any kind then there's no chance they are free of bias.

There's no one ' total ' solution, I'd look for objective data from a few sources . Make a short list and try and get your hands on the various bits of kit you fancy and make your own mind up.

But then can we trust ourselves..

NoMoFoNo

Of course it isn't only the audio review sites that are pure poison and snake oil. The popular forums (specifically AK and VE) are dominated by pure subjectivists, loud and proud. There must be a clear financial incentive for the owners of these forums to steer in this direction because it is clear as day. All it takes is one mention of ASR, or the use of the term 'objective', and attackers arrive within minutes, in packs. There are plenty of subjectivist magical koolaid drinkers here as well, a surprising number IMO, but at least a poster can make their way here without constant berating from those discussing the usual 'shimmering' lunacy.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
does the Boston Audio Society put out anything? or still exist?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Computer Audiophile Style is dead. In case you missed it, I was recently banned from the site along with anyone else who didn't applaud the establishment of an "objectivist" ghetto where any unwanted criticism of snake oil could be quarantined to protect the believers' fragile egos. Thinking back, it's pretty clear that the site has drifted ever closer to pure subjectivism in step with the increasing value of Chris' audio gear. It must be close to a million dollars in MSRP by now, though I doubt he paid anywhere close to that amount. He's in the "big boys" club now. He deserves no gratitude.
Before he accepted advertising it was really an interesting and informative site, once you place revenue stream above everything else...
Keith

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who writes but has been in audio communities for far longer, I'll say what I always say: Look at bylines, not publications. Or at least, take them both into account equally.

While management, finances, and logistics can shape direction and choice of coverage, it's ultimately individuals behind most articles. In my experience, most publications - not just talking about audio - have writers of all sorts of varying experience, knowledge, and specialties. Find the writers who have opinions akin to your own or whom you otherwise trust, because they take their knowledge with them wherever they go.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Top Bottom