• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any audio review sites that can be trusted.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're expecting complete trust, then no.

If you know how to use them, then yes.

Even if you ignore everything someone says about sound quality there are still likely to be useful comments about features or usability.

Even unboxing videos can be useful sometimes. I've had to look those up before when the manufacture didn't have very good pictures on their site and I needed a nice 360 degree view of the product.

For transducers, especially headphones since they are easier to audition than speakers, it's best to find a reviewer who's opinions you agree with on other products. Then when they review something new you only have to take their opinion with a few grains of table salt instead of a dump truck full of rock salt.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
(some people think burn-in is bullshit, I feel bad for anyone who can’t hear the difference between a a component or cable used in hi-fi that is box fresh vs having a 100 hours on it. YMMV)
That is some delusional motherfucker right there.

Also not understanding tcp/ip error correction in 2020 :facepalm:

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"None of the cables changed the fundamental sound signature, tenor, timbre, tactility or musicality of the Linn, what they did do was allow a window into how the different construction and materials involved with each cable affected the flavoring of the spectrum in the audible frequency band. I will say, that the sound became more natural and lifelike when using cables constructed specifically for audio performance – this also translated to costlier. "

Wow, this opens whole new horizons to me!
Until now I only knew vanilla & chocolate flavours... :cool:

NoMoFoNo

I hate it that makers of these cables are so blatantly dishonest. They are a cancer on this hobby.

I hate it that audiophool boosters and reviewers are so damned gullible and lacking in skepticism.

I hate it that hobby consumers are so stupid and suggestible, such damned rubes.

These things make the hobby worse.

Omar Cumming

....Well we know for sure that the reviewer can't be trusted, he has demonstrated that he is is a horse's hindquarter.

Stay Sane

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Enjoythemusic just (re)posted a rave review of Furutech cable elevators, which were awarded 5 stars for value. They're mostly plastic and cost $215. Each.

That isn't plastic it is "a Nano Crystal Formula (NCF) resin, this special crystalline material actively:
1) Generates negative ions which eliminate static charge which builds up on the plastic jackets of most cables, and...
2) Utilizes nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder to mechanically damp any vibrations through a piezoelectric effect."

;)

To answer your original question, probably not. I'd say Audioholics comes the closest but most of the rest are just fun reading of really colorful sci-fi writing that often shares a lot of similarities with a TV infomercial.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That isn't plastic it is "a Nano Crystal Formula (NCF) resin, this special crystalline material actively:
1) Generates negative ions which eliminate static charge which builds up on the plastic jackets of most cables, and...
2) Utilizes nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder to mechanically damp any vibrations through a piezoelectric effect."

;)

To answer your original question, probably not. I'd say Audioholics comes the closest but most of the rest are just fun reading of really colorful sci-fi writing that often shares a lot of similarities with a TV infomercial.
How is this even legal?

kokishin

Forum Donor
Irrespective of audio review sites or forums, I tend to trust @Kal Rubinson reviews/opinions.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Side note: I used to really enjoy reading Scientific American and National Geographic. I stopped about a decade back when the writing style and tone changed, and the amount of advertising went up.

jeffbook

I am absolutely certain that the flavors of the audio transmitted would be improved even more if the most expensive of these network cables ran through a box of Brilliant Pebbles from Machina Dynamica.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1585243860221.png

1585243815980.png

Actually, the person to feel bad for is the one that spent $23,380 on a streamer but still needed to burn in his Ethernet cables so that it would sound its best! The heck did you pay that much for if it is not for engineering that would isolate it from such vagaries (if real)?

When you throw out common sense, anything goes......

Top Bottom