• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any audio frequencies which are more likely to leave a permanent impression on the mind?

Are there any audio frequencies which are more likely to leave a permanent impression on the mind? Is the human ear more sensitive to some frequencies which have a high priority in processing in the brain? Like even if there is a louder noise, the human audio processing might prefer that frequency?

carewser

Absolutely, deep bass is the sound I hear clearly and hone right in on. While I like shimmering, crisp highs, bass is even more noticeable to me. Ironically, the vast majority of music falls in between and it is there that I have a much harder time discerning improvements

One of the biggest problems i've had with comparing different speakers over the years is that different speakers sound different from one another (obviously!) but which sounds better? Other people seem to automatically know (or at least claim to know) which is the more accurate speaker but i've always struggled with this and it's partly why I have 10 different speakers all hooked up together-so I basically have my own stereo shop/sound room to instantly do A-B comparisons. In fact I often switch back and forth between multiple speaker systems but again, i'm usually just left with a slightly different interpretation of each recording. To me the differences are pretty subtle, the one difference I can hear is the depth of bass and it's probably why i'm such a basshead. It took me months of comparing my Audioengine A5+ speakers with my Kanto Tuk's to clearly determine a winner because for the longest time they just sounded different from each other and if anyone is still reading this and cares the Kanto's sound better in spite of Audioengine's claim of incredibly flat frequency response although at twice the price the Kanto's should sound better

Last edited:

carewser

A specific frequency? I don't know. But a key change? Maybe :)

Adam Neely - The most elegant key change in all of pop music:
i'm so tired of discussing modal mixture common tone enharmonic double chromatic mediant modulation wIth people

If you think i'm kidding, check out the video

Top Bottom