• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any 8 channel audio interfaces that work as a 7.1 device natively in windows?

OP
T

timreeves

Video games I understand but why for YouTube? (Trying to learn, not contesting.)
With vlc\potplayer you can add a delay to the video to keep things in sync, afaik you can't do that for browser based stuff.

And yeh, the latency would have to be pretty bad to go past 1 frame at 30fps, so hopefully not gonna be an issue, or at least not a noticeable one.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With vlc\potplayer you can add a delay to the video to keep things in sync, afaik you can't do that for browser based stuff.

And yeh, the latency would have to be pretty bad to go past 1 frame at 30fps, so hopefully not gonna be an issue, or at least not a noticeable one.
I understand. Thank you.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
On macOS you can even configure the RME UCX II to run a full 9.1.6 ATMOS setup. Of course, you need to add an external pre amp with ADAT interface like a cheap Behringer ADA8200.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10.25.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10.31.20 PM.png

Trell

Major Contributor
As long as it's got a quiet noise floor, multichannel output in windows and a compact form factor, I'm happy.

SNR has measured at 100db, so way above the 96db 16 bit limit I'm realistically ever going to use, and subjective testing suggests the noise floor is silent.

The only bit that I'm a bit concerned about is latency and potentially issues with compatability with the pci-e FireWire card I just ordered, but it's got a ti chipset that's reported to work fine so fingers crossed!
The Fireface 400 can also be bus powered from the Firewire connection and that is handy as you don’t need to manually turn the Fireface on/off.

There is a caveats: “Note: 4-pin FireWire sockets as found in laptops do not provide power!”

You might check if the device has the latest firmware.

iGude

I've already returned devices from UA and Motu
Do I understand correctly that you cannot use those interfaces since the software that you are using only allows to choose a single interface and not multiple stereo interfaces?
Or is it something else?
Thank you for clarification in advance.

OP
T

timreeves

Do I understand correctly that you cannot use those interfaces since the software that you are using only allows to choose a single interface and not multiple stereo interfaces?
Or is it something else?
Thank you for clarification in advance.
That's correct

The Fireface 400 can also be bus powered from the Firewire connection and that is handy as you don’t need to manually turn the Fireface on/off.

There is a caveats: “Note: 4-pin FireWire sockets as found in laptops do not provide power!”

You might check if the device has the latest firmware.
Bus powered is convenient, but I seem to have a heck of a ground loop issue in my pc, I tried using a soundblaster ae-9 but scrolling my mouse made my speakers sound like an early 2000's modem trying to connect hopefully the rme has good isolation, and doesn't thump on being turned on\off.

OP
T

timreeves

aight, so I got the fireface 400 this morning, the firewire card under windows 11 installed instantly and the fireface was detected as soon as i installed the drivers, could go right ahead and set it as a 7.1 device and have seperate volume controls for headphones and the other 6 analogue outputs.

My notoriously difficult to drive headphones go plenty loud, the noise floor of the system pisses on the focusrite, the amount of flexibility the unit offers is in a completely different league, the build quality is delightful.

I get it now, I get it. RME are kinda nice. One day I'll splash out on a UCX II, but I have no need for anything more at the moment so that day will come in the future.

Trell

Major Contributor
aight, so I got the fireface 400 this morning, the firewire card under windows 11 installed instantly and the fireface was detected as soon as i installed the drivers, could go right ahead and set it as a 7.1 device and have seperate volume controls for headphones and the other 6 analogue outputs.

My notoriously difficult to drive headphones go plenty loud, the noise floor of the system pisses on the focusrite, the amount of flexibility the unit offers is in a completely different league, the build quality is delightful.

I get it now, I get it. RME are kinda nice. One day I'll splash out on a UCX II, but I have no need for anything more at the moment so that day will come in the future.

Not bad for a second hand audio interface released in 2006 that you paid 200£ for, I'd say. :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not bad for a second hand audio interface released in 2006 that you paid 200£ for, I'd say. :)

That's exactly what you get going with RME. Quality components and software support even 17 years after release. You get what you pay for, literally but in this case, in a good way.

PureLIN

Just any interface support ASIO with a VB voicemeeter banana could meet you need.

jdjung

Hello guys,

This has been bugging me for a while, and I've already returned devices from UA and Motu because their tech support lied to me.

I'm looking for an audio interface that has at least 6, but ideally 8 or more analogue outputs, that will appear in windows as a true multichannel device. I'd also really like it to be half rack sized at most. Both the motu and volt would only appear in windows as multiple stereo outputs, which is unsuitable for my needs (and virtual audio cable routing is also unsuitable). It needs to work with equaliser APO, so no ASIO, but wasapi/wdm should be fine.

Can anyone recommend anything?
I know this may sound crazy in an audiophile centric audience but why not just get a motherboard with 7.1 outs? Saves you rack space and I think Dolby Atmos on Windows 11 max is 24 bit at 96khz anyways? This is a guess on my part because though I have an audio interface that does over 96khz, when I installed the Dolby Atmos app from windows it keeps switching my higher rates to 96khz without me being able to raise it. Or use the spdif on the motherboard to a 7.1 receiver.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Top Bottom