• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there AI processing apps for audio?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
In photography, we have AI enabled apps that are able to:

- colorize old pictures,
- remove noise,
- restore missing resolution,
- emulate certain film looks,
- remove flaws e.g. scratches and other damage,
- some are so advanced that they can replace backgrounds, remove telephone poles, and so on.

My question is: are there similar AI enabled apps for audio? I am a huge collector of historic recordings, with about 1/4 of my collection consisting of recordings before 1950. All of them are mono, and all suffer from surface noise, clicks, pops, dynamic compression, and all the usual flaws with analogue recordings of the period. Even most the recordings between 1950 - early 80's suffer from tape hiss and are not as quiet and pristine as modern recordings. Then, there are modern recordings which are dynamically compressed.

Are there any AI apps which can:

- remove tape hiss (I know Dolby A and B already do that, but it also cuts high frequencies and makes recordings sound dull)
- remove clicks, pops, wow and flutter,
- restore dynamics
- and the big one ... create a stereo or multichannel image from mono?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if the idea of using GPUs for audio DSP takes off, all kinds of things might become available and doable.

Top Bottom