• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there a lot of audiophiles in China?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Strange question, but with the rise of sota audio devices from china, I'm wondering if there are a lot of audiophiles there, or is it's importance more in the economic sector.

I ask because being an audiophile in the USA is definitely a minority position.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know... Probably... There are a lot of people in China! :p

Percentagewise, probably not. I'm American and I'm not wealthy enough to be a "traditional" audiophile. Again, there are LOT of very wealthy people in China but overall it's still considered a developing country.

Everything is made in China. It's that cheap youth-prison labor! :D

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not sure not given their population, even 0.1% is 1.4 million!!

multisport4me

If you've ever been stuck on hold with a company in China, listening to music on hold, your question would be answered. :)

In all seriousness, there are plenty of audiophiles in China. Hong Kong as well. Shanghai, Bejing, etc. On a per-capita basis, I'm guessing there are fewer audiophiles than in western countries. But the sheer volume of people - especially in major cities where the wealth tends to be - there are probably far more audiophiles in aggregate.

ZZY JUSTIN

90s and early 2000 Chinese HIFI market is booming.Currently Chinese people are much prefer “head -fi” due to there Impracticality high housing prices.

kongwee

Major Contributor
For those famous audiophile brands, 50% of their client were in Asia. That was decade ago.

Waxx

Major Contributor
%There are a lot (but it's only a very small fraction of the population). They are more like the japanese market of audiophiles than like the western market. They tend to like the same stuff and listen to very similar music (a mix of western classic music and asian pop). And their stuff is way less snake oil depending than the american market. But brands like Mark Audio (from Hong Kong and there called SOTA) and Line Magnetic (Shengzen) became big due to the asian market, the EU market is only a very small part of their bussiness. I know from Mark Audio that 95% of their sales is in China, where they have a range of very popular speakers (unde the SOTA brand) that are not even sold down here.

Top Bottom