• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are the Amazon Fire Tablets good as a servers?

Fregly

I see how cheap these are and want to get one, adding a micro card, and use it with the Dx3pro. Which model is best? Without usability quirks and whatnot.....

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I have used a $30 Fire 7 with a D10 followed by a Liquid Spark. Currently, using a $120 NIB LG V20 to the LS via it's 3.5mm given its excellent Quad DAC. One less device.

Just got a $25 alternative, an LG Rebel 'TracFone:
TracFone LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) - Black - 16GB - Sim Card Included - CDMA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC5QKTX/

Throw away the sim card/TracFone stuff and run it on wifi. More detail in this thread:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...tc-thread-on-audio-product-sales.3118/page-36

Entry 708

OP
F

Fregly

Great choices. On another thread someone said the Fire times out while playing music for longer than 30min.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Great choices. On another thread someone said the Fire times out while playing music for longer than 30min.
That was @Berwhale ..The workaround to the 30min timeout is:
Enable Developer Options
Enable setting ' Always keep screen on while charging' (may not have exact wording)
Keep charger always connected

The LG Rebel let's you 'Never turn off screen' in the regular Display settings. It runs Amazon Music HD just fine, IMO. The one disadvantage I see is that may or may not be important to you is - you can't Amazon Music HD Cast to it from another device (Fire or not) since the LG is not recognized as a fully Alexa registered/enabled device. It will not show as a 'castable' device in the choices drop-down cast menu..

The F7 is recognized in the cast drop-down, so you can cast to it remotely. (Say the F7 is sitting next to a stereo amp with CD/line in and connected to it with 3.5mm to RCA cable). However, @Berwhale found that doing this limits playback on the F7 to 16/44.1 (HD, not UHD)

Last edited:
OP
F

Fregly

That was @Berwhale ..The workaround to the 30min timeout is:
Enable Developer Options
Enable setting ' Always keep screen on while charging' (may not have exact wording)
Keep charger always connected

The LG Rebel let's you 'Never turn off screen' in the regular Display settings. It runs Amazon Music HD just fine, IMO. The one disadvantage I see is that may or may not be important to you is - you can't Amazon Music HD Cast to it from another device (Fire or not) since the LG is not recognized as a fully Alexa registered/enabled device. It will not show as a 'castable' device in the choices drop-down cast menu..

The F7 is recognized in the cast drop-down, so you can cast to it remotely. (Say the F7 is sitting next to a stereo amp with CD/line in and connected to it with 3.5mm to RCA cable). However, @Berwhale found that doing this limits playback on the F7 to 16/44.1 (HD, not UHD)
Thanks for the tips. The Fire is discounted today and I think I'll pick one up.

Top Bottom