• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Surroung Gaming Headphones BS?

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Linus Tech Tips posted this video recently where they tested on their crew a series of gaming headphones and a stereo headphone with software processing. They tested if the participants could accurately detect where the sound was coming from while being blind-folded.

At least, it's entertaining to watch.

Well, yeah. In their limited testing it turned out that a good stereo headphone with software programming worked best.

What do you think about this? Please share your experiences and opinions :)

Last edited:

Tene

Yeah, what I know from experience is the capacity of headphones to deliver a proper imaging is way more important than anything else for competitive gaming, and that is something they essentially degrade by widening the soundstage and adding reverb with "virtual surround". A proper in-game audio design is what is important, when HRTF is created by or in adequacy with the sound designers of the game it might give better directional cues, that's what I feel about the Cs:Go "HRTF" or the Overwatch "Dolby Atmos" settings, but surround softwares which weren't implemented specifically for the game usually just makes everything sound bigger and blurrier.

I loved the Hellblade experience simply because the sound design was great by itself. If only they cared a little more about sound design in games... I feel like it's often overlooked.

Top Bottom