• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are speaker stands really mandatory for bookshelves?

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Stands only should matter if you're using monitors to do something monitors are made for and everything is critical. Speaker height/angle etc.

Last edited:

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use a pair of Isoacoustics stands on my desk for my bookshelf speakers, and can only say that they definitely don't make matters worse. But I've always been curious of their construction. The feet between stand / desk and stand / speaker are rubber, but unlike blu-tack / sorbothane, they're concave and creates a suction between the various surfaces.

Which reminds me of double sided suction cups
1590416042733.png

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Suction-Sliding-Bumpers-Spacers/dp/B079L5JZY4/

Or these:
1590416906335.png

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Professional-Strength-Smooth-Surface-Bathroom/dp/B07H6QFMMC/

Or these:
1590416594499.png

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Brain-Toys-Suction-Gifts/dp/B079CHXD52/

Which leads me to think that one of Isoacoustics' aims was to couple the speakers to the stands and the stands to the desk (or whatever resting surface) to form as rigid a structure as possible.

Maybe instead of blu-tack, we should start using suction cups?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
When not putting them on stands you also have to think about reflections of the surface they are put on.

Booker

Forum Donor
Just replaced some urethane foam pads that were below my S400, and "decoupled" them with four double-sided suction cups from the IKEA BESTÅ frame.

Last edited:

whazzup

Just replaced some urethane foam pads that were below my S400, and "decoupled" them with four double sided suction cups from the IKEA BESTÅ frame.

That sounds interesting~ take a photo?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorbothane hemispheres are another option if you want to reduce vibrations into desk, bookshelf, cabinet. Use two sizes to give a tilt.

Booker

Forum Donor
That sounds interesting~ take a photo?
Currently, cups are 30mm in diameter, the material is probably silicone. I didn't expect that the cups will be not so soft. Therefore as the speakers sit on them by their own weight and fully pressed them, so there is probably no further space for dampening.

The funny story is when I installed them, I turn on my system with around -35dB on ADI DAC and started playback. Immediately after playback started my jaw dropped down - OMG "day and night". Then I realized, that loudness is still applied from the previous evening listening session :)

A few pictures of the installation:

The previous foam:

whazzup

Currently, cups are 30mm in diameter, the material is probably silicone. I didn't expect that the cups will be not so soft. Therefore as the speakers sit on them by their own weight and fully pressed them, so there is probably no further space for dampening.

The funny story is when I installed them, I turn on my system with around -35dB on ADI DAC and started playback. Immediately after playback started my jaw dropped down - OMG "day and night". Then I realized, that loudness is still applied from the previous evening listening session :)

A few pictures of the installation:

The previous foam:

TBH it was more of a casual observation, cool that you tried it out. I did notice you have many layers of foam beneath the speaker?

Top Bottom