• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are sound absorbers safe for our health?

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
What do you guys think about the wallpaper solution?

Multiple layers? Wallpaper over cork?

It seems like those special absorbing wallpapers start at $100/m2, so also no go for me

Yasuo

Another idea is to buy extruded polystyrene, cover it in thick fabric and on top of that put an oil painting (even something printed on paper works well). That way you can have a room with different nice "framed" paintings which will absorb & diffuse the sound. Will add style to any listening space :)

Glen20

It seems like those special absorbing wallpapers start at $100/m2, so also no go for me

When I previously made some I took inspiration from ….
For the building of the frames etc

I have previous lined my diy record storage ( think Ikea but half as good and twice the price) with pool table felt(100%wool) off cuts from a billiard shop. I will use leftovers to cover traps in future.

I think the cheapest solution would be to buy multiple 2nd hand 100% wool blankets locally. Wash them fold them over and make them into absorbers. Frame them like above and cover them in wool of your choice. Either a dyed blanket ,felt or stretched merino fabric from fabric shop.

Unfortunately 100% wool blankets from the 60s and 70s have become trendy here. So it is cheaper for me to buy 100% wool insulation locally

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Another idea is to buy extruded polystyrene, cover it in thick fabric and on top of that put an oil painting (even something printed on paper works well). That way you can have a room with different nice "framed" paintings which will absorb & diffuse the sound. Will add style to any listening space :)
EPS is closed cell, very poor absorption. You need an open cell foam for this.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I previously made some I took inspiration from ….
For the building of the frames etc

I have previous lined my diy record storage ( think Ikea but half as good and twice the price) with pool table felt(100%wool) off cuts from a billiard shop. I will use leftovers to cover traps in future.

I think the cheapest solution would be to buy multiple 2nd hand 100% wool blankets locally. Wash them fold them over and make them into absorbers. Frame them like above and cover them in wool of your choice. Either a dyed blanket ,felt or stretched merino fabric from fabric shop.

Unfortunately 100% wool blankets from the 60s and 70s have become trendy here. So it is cheaper for me to buy 100% wool insulation locally
Glen Kuras is the founder of GIK Acoustics. I've used his products for some ten years or so. I haven't noticed any more dust in my listening room then other rooms or any ill effects from being in the room with doors and windows closed for roughly seven hours a week - some 3,500 hours.

His products do contain fibreglass as I had reason to open one.

Glen20

Glen Kuras is the founder of GIK Acoustics. I've used his products for some ten years or so. I haven't noticed any more dust in my listening room then other rooms or any ill effects from being in the room with doors and windows closed for roughly seven hours a week - some 3,500 hours.

His products do contain fibreglass as I had reason to open one.
Just for clarity. The dust problem I had was not from traps I made ,that were inspired by Glenn or traps built by Glenn Kuras or GIK Acoustics. They were from another well known American brand.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

caught gesture

Forum Donor

Frgirard

Major Contributor
What about absorption panels made out of old clothes?

Like these: https://www.secondskinaudio.com/acoustics/ecoverb

And are these any good for thick (12 inch) and large basstraps? Or is fiberglass/rockwool better for that?
The value of absorption in bass frequencies is weak

I suggest you open a subject on this forum

You will avoid to wast time and money.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
The value of absorption in bass frequencies is weak

I suggest you open a subject on this forum

You will avoid to wast time and money.
https://www.secondskinaudio.com/acoustics/ecobass is better for low frequency control. Put two of them together and I think you’ll notice a positive difference in the sub 100Hz range. Kind of expensive though. Agreed that the studio building/acoustic forum on gearspace.com is a good place to get advice. There are some very knowledgeable people there. There is also the usual forum bickering.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I cannot imagine a covered panel is any more dangerous than a zillion other things sitting around the house. I do wear a dust mask when assembling them.

Every breath you take moves you closer to death. The solution is not to stop breathing.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
https://www.secondskinaudio.com/acoustics/ecobass is better for low frequency control. Put two of them together and I think you’ll notice a positive difference in the sub 100Hz range. Kind of expensive though. Agreed that the studio building/acoustic forum on gearspace.com is a good place to get advice. There are some very knowledgeable people there. There is also the usual forum bickering.
Thanks, a very nice option, but it is Class A Fire Rate! It will contain fire retardants and be not that "eco" as they try to emphasize.

So wood/cement panels are the only true eco and low-cost material as I understand.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Thanks, a very nice option, but it is Class A Fire Rate! It will contain fire retardants and be not that "eco" as they try to emphasize.

So wood/cement panels are the only true eco and low-cost material as I understand.
I wouldn’t classify cement as being an eco product! How about something made from hemp? I’m with you on the fire retardant properties, especially when it comes to the use of forever chemicals (PFAS).

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
I cannot imagine a covered panel is any more dangerous than a zillion other things sitting around the house. I do wear a dust mask when assembling them.

Every breath you take moves you closer to death. The solution is not to stop breathing.
But you still have an option not to avoid that zillion of dangerous things in your home environment. Brick walls, wooden floor with the natural oil or wax finish, wooden furniture, cotton couch and WOOD/CEMENT acoustic panels:)

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Sorry, cotton couch and Hempcrete panels :)

I would be happy to build an entire house out of hemp blocks, but you'll probably need a steam isolation on the inside and will close the cells of that hempcrete walls anyway

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wouldn’t classify cement as being an eco product! How about something made from hemp? I’m with you on the fire retardant properties, especially when it comes to the use of forever chemicals (PFAS).
PFAs are not commonly used as fire retardants. Like I said, TCPP is the standard, and they’re often used with brominated adjuvants.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
PFAs are not commonly used as fire retardants. Like I said, TCPP is the standard, and they’re often used with brominated adjuvants.
Agreed, but organohalogen flame retardants are still persistent and do not breakdown in the environment meaning that they continue to cause harm even after they have been banned or phased out. I like to bring attention to PFAS as much as possible. You and I both have them in our blood as does most of the world. I’m sure neither of us asked for them and certain chemical companies have known about the dangers even as they pushed the benefits to the general public.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Sorry, cotton couch and Hempcrete panels :)

I would be happy to build an entire house out of hemp blocks, but you'll probably need a steam isolation on the inside and will close the cells of that hempcrete walls anyway
Or use a lime or clay based render that allows the walls to breathe and therefore maintain a steady level of humidity.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Agreed, but organohalogen flame retardants are still persistent and do not breakdown in the environment meaning that they continue to cause harm even after they have been banned or phased out. I like to bring attention to PFAS as much as possible. You and I both have them in our blood as does most of the world. I’m sure neither of us asked for them and certain chemical companies have known about the dangers even as they pushed the benefits to the general public.
There’s much press-driven bullshit behind many of these fears.

Top Bottom