• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are noise cancelling headphones safe for yard work/loud works

samwell7

Currently I use a set of Etymotic MC5/MK5s (not sure which version) when mowing the lawns etc. as they offer great isolation when undertaking loud tasks.
The sound quality and isolation is great, however I've got a fairly large block of land and my ears hurt by the time I've finished the lawns (takes a few hours) - is it safe to use noise cancelling headphones when doing loud works?

I'm basing this post off the thought that the noise cancellation works by playing the opposite of the environmental noise to cancel it out, please let me know if this is not how the noise cancelling works.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
is it safe to use noise cancelling headphones when doing loud works?

Yes, in general one plays music less loud on an NC headphone.

It works by adding the opposite of what the mic in the cups pick up. This results in no sound (well a lot of cancellation) so the SPL your ears reach are only music.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Yes, in general one plays music less loud on an NC headphone.

It works by adding the opposite of what the mic in the cups pick up. This results in no sound (well a lot of cancellation) so the SPL your ears reach are only music.
Okay, thanks for that - so it won't be adding the inverse of the outside sound to the music?
E.g. if I've got a 90dBa lawn mower running it won't be adding the same 90dBa sound with inverted phase to the music?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It does add the inverse of the inside (and unwanted) sounds to the driver. That's how cancelling works. The end result is that inside the cups (in reality only at the microphone position) outside noises effectively become non existent.
In reality this is not possible but at least it attenuates a lot.
This only works up till a few hundred Hz. Above 1kHz attenuation comes down to passive measures such as the cup and pads and how well they isolate outside noises.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If working in very high-noise environments, you may be better of using noise-cancelling IEMS, as these tend to acoustically block out the higher frequencies (which cannot be cancelled due to their short wavelengths) better than over-ear headphones.

You might want to look up some models on the various test websites to see how effective each unit's noise-cancelling and rejection is. I've found Rtings to be particularly useful on this particular point.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

If working in very high-noise environments, you may be better of using noise-cancelling IEMS, as these tend to acoustically block out the higher frequencies (which cannot be cancelled due to their short wavelengths) better than over-ear headphones.

You might want to look up some models on the various test websites to see how effective each unit's noise-cancelling and rejection is. I've found Rtings to be particularly useful on this particular point.
Thanks for that, I'm happy with the passive noise cancellation from my Etymotics, it's just the whole in-ear thing begins to hurt after an hour or so. I'll check that link, thanks!

OP
samwell7

samwell7

It does add the inverse of the inside (and unwanted) sounds to the driver. That's how cancelling works. The end result is that inside the cups (in reality only at the microphone position) outside noises effectively become non existent.
In reality this is not possible but at least it attenuates a lot.
This only works up till a few hundred Hz. Above 1kHz attenuation comes down to passive measures such as the cup and pads and how well they isolate outside noises.
Thanks for that, it seems my best option is to just try a set and see how it goes after a long session. Thanks again

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that, I'm happy with the passive noise cancellation from my Etymotics, it's just the whole in-ear thing begins to hurt after an hour or so. I'll check that link, thanks!

Sure, I also find in-ears to be pretty uncomfortable (although IME Bose in-ears are an exception, for my ears anyway).

That website also performs the same measurements for on-ear and over-ear headphones, so you should have plenty to work with there.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Sure, I also find in-ears to be pretty uncomfortable (although IME Bose in-ears are an exception, for my ears anyway).

That website also performs the same measurements for on-ear and over-ear headphones, so you should have plenty to work with there.
That's great, thanks again for the link - looks to have plenty of info.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got some over the ear models aimed for those in shooting sports. I can have my phone play music over them while running machinery which is around 100 db SPL. Or when not playing music the noise level is reduced to a very comfortable level. One of the best things I ever spent money on. Both for target shooting and when doing yardwork.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Listening to music is a distraction when tasking. Keep it separate. You can't do both well at the same time. - basic brain stuff.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

I've got some over the ear models aimed for those in shooting sports. I can have my phone play music over them while running machinery which is around 100 db SPL. Or when not playing music the noise level is reduced to a very comfortable level. One of the best things I ever spent money on. Both for target shooting and when doing yardwork.

Are you able to give me a make/model? I take part in target shooting from time to time but I've always just used passive ear muffs. I've seen those 3M worktunes headphones/earmuffs but not sure about the audio quality

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Listening to music is a distraction when tasking. Keep it separate. You can't do both well - basic brain stuff.
I'm sort of the opposite - I need something to distract me from the menial lawn mowing/whipper snipping/sanding or else I'll go crazy

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
They are not considered safe and are prohibited by the low while driving or operating heavy machinery in many countries. On the other hand they are useful with very high noise environments to drive the level down to acceptable lv as protective gear. Some of the noise cancelling protective ones also can play music. Somehow EMI's with ANC and memory foam tips either wireless or short cable and BT reciver worked the best for the case at least for me and I also hate them for discomfort all do memory foam does make it a bit more tolerable. I personally on the normal walk outs prefer open earbuds (normal environmental noise lv's) as I want to stay in tuch with environment and not to have to take them out when ever I talk with someone.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you able to give me a make/model? I take part in target shooting from time to time but I've always just used passive ear muffs. I've seen those 3M worktunes headphones/earmuffs but not sure about the audio quality
https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Electronic-Protector-Protection/dp/B00NAG4WX2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B04VGY71L71E&dchild=1&keywords=peltor+sport+tactical+100+electronic+hearing+protector&qid=1610355064&sprefix=peltor+sport+tac,aps,171&sr=8-3

These Peltor Sport Tactical 100 models. I wouldn't say audio quality is exemplary for music, but it is pretty good. Very good for hearing voices like between shots at the firing range. Unlike plain NC phones these also have microphones to let you hear when noise is below a level which you can adjust. For exceptionally loud rifles I'll use comfortable foam ear inserts as well. Not the hard IEM's, but the foam. Of course I double up like that with passive ear muffs and extra loud rifles anyway.

As for multi-tasking it depends upon what I'm doing. Not at the firing range. But driving a car and also driving a riding mower, yes I'll listen to music. Using a saw on home projects or similar I'll forego the music and concentrate on the task at hand.

These have bluetooth and higher NRR rating, but weren't available when I purchased mine a couple years ago. Peltor Sport Tactical 500.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W56YRWJ/ref=emc_b_5_t

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try different tips, I find the foam ones most comfortable, the rubber ones horrible.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

They are not considered safe and are prohibited by the low while driving or operating heavy machinery in many countries. On the other hand they are useful with very high noise environments to drive the level down to acceptable lv as protective gear. Some of the noise cancelling protective ones also can play music. Somehow EMI's with ANC and memory foam tips either wireless or short cable and BT reciver worked the best for the case at least for me and I also hate them for discomfort all do memory foam does make it a bit more tolerable. I personally on the normal walk outs prefer open earbuds (normal environmental noise lv's) as I want to stay in tuch with environment and not to have to take them out when ever I talk with someone.
Thanks for that! I'll try my memory foam tips. I also like to use something more open when I'm in an environment with normal sound levels, feels much more in touch as you stated.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Electronic-Protector-Protection/dp/B00NAG4WX2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B04VGY71L71E&dchild=1&keywords=peltor+sport+tactical+100+electronic+hearing+protector&qid=1610355064&sprefix=peltor+sport+tac,aps,171&sr=8-3

These Peltor Sport Tactical 100 models. I wouldn't say audio quality is exemplary for music, but it is pretty good. Very good for hearing voices like between shots at the firing range. Unlike plain NC phones these also have microphones to let you hear when noise is below a level which you can adjust. For exceptionally loud rifles I'll use comfortable foam ear inserts as well. Not the hard IEM's, but the foam. Of course I double up like that with passive ear muffs and extra loud rifles anyway.

As for multi-tasking it depends upon what I'm doing. Not at the firing range. But driving a car and also driving a riding mower, yes I'll listen to music. Using a saw on home projects or similar I'll forego the music and concentrate on the task at hand.

These have bluetooth and higher NRR rating, but weren't available when I purchased mine a couple years ago. Peltor Sport Tactical 500.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W56YRWJ/ref=emc_b_5_t
Nice! Thank you, I've seen the brand around at sports stores, I'll check them out.
Yep I also forego the music also when I'm doing something that needs some concentration or has a dangerous aspect e.g. cutting, and definitely no music when at the range. Thanks

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Try different tips, I find the foam ones most comfortable, the rubber ones horrible.
Yeah I think that might be the problem, I think I wore out the memory foam tips and never purchased more, now I'm stuck using the big Christmas tree style rubber tips. I will look into ordering some more foam tips for my Etymotics, should make a big difference in comfort

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yeah I think that might be the problem, I think I wore out the memory foam tips and never purchased more, now I'm stuck using the big Christmas tree style rubber tips. I will look into ordering some more foam tips for my Etymotics, should make a big difference in comfort
Let's just say like this with good foam tips make them durable for around two - two an half h and i doubt you will ever want to either listen or do a gardening for more than that period with out making a brake.
There are M3 protective closed back designs which isolate up to 80 dB and can play music all do that's not their primary function. With those full throttle chainsaw sound as polite, quiet conversion. Shooting range and hunting one's usually go a bit lower.:)

Top Bottom