• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are network bridges worth getting ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
To anyone with knowledge of computer networks a 'network bridge' means something quite different to its use here. The more common term seems to be streamer or network player. As to whether it's worth getting one, that's like asking if it's worth getting a bluray player - it depends first on whether it does something you want, and second on whether the model you pick is any good or not. Don't fall for that video's twaddle about computers being necessarily bad, or network players somehow superior - it depends on implementation. The network players are all still computers, and potentially suffer from all the same problems. Most of the problems alleged in the video are non-issues so far as well engineered DACs are concerned. Ground loops remain a potential issue, but that's true anywhere you're using unbalanced interconnects.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Abe_W

That's a diamond most won't catch...

That depends on what you are trying to do. As @somebodyelse said, a specific 'audiophile' bridge is generally a way to separate you from more money than you need to spend for the same result.

What are you looking to do/change?
A streamer can be fairly cheap if you're just using it as a transport for a good standalone DAC.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A streamer can be fairly cheap if you're just using it as a transport for a good standalone DAC.

Chromecast Audio Puck is a good example...I've got them all over the place. $15 each. (When I got them...$50 now).

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's not describing a network bridge. He's talking about either a wired or wireless streamer.

In networking you can bridge two interfaces on your computer, effectively turning it into a router, or you can do this wireless where the AP's use an antenna to make a L2 bridge.

Going to be installing a bunch of Aruba 387's shortly for just such an application.

firedog

Network bridges (here he's talking about an audio bridge, which is a network endpoint for audio playback) are great if you want to do multiroom and if you want a server placed relatively far from a system. Depending on your software and UI needs, they can also give you all sorts of advantages: using different types of playback software - say there's one or two you like for different reasons - some steamers let you quickly switch between them. For instance in my system, I can switch between Roon, LMS, and HQPlayer at the streamer/endpoint level. I can also implement DSP or DRC differently for each endpoint.
A Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 is also great for this purpose.

Abe_W

Chromecast Audio Puck is a good example...I've got them all over the place. $15 each. (When I got them...$50 now).
I have a Yamaha WXC-50 (got it used on ebay for a 100 bucks) serving as the transport for a Topping D90. I wouldn't go as low as a Chromecast puck. But, that's me.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have a Yamaha WXC-50 (got it used on ebay for a 100 bucks) serving as the transport for a Topping D90. I wouldn't go as low as a Chromecast puck. But, that's me.

Lossless via optical doesn't seem very low...but that's just me.

Top Bottom