• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Inconsistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derp1n

So wait a second, you are saying that this site isn't objective enough because we aren't accepting the subjective bullshit spewed by what look to be paid reviewers of ****** products?
Because that is basically what you said.
There is no subjective review coming from amir that anyone here is "following". We are following measurements and comparisons done, which are scientific.
Amir has now gone to great lengths to "play everyone elses game" with the criticism of his measurements only to show that his measurements were indeed still correct.
The subjective nonsense that is outright false which is created by Schiit paid reviewers and other fanboys/shills/etc is what is being shot down here.
The smearing of names and reputations comes with the BLATANT SCAMMING that is going on by Schiit crew who are literally selling products with worse performance than onboard audio, and claiming them to be upgrades. When a $2400 device performs worse than a $100 device, there are reputations at stake. Because literally everthing being slung by the Schiit affiliates is false, and is literally duping people into spending their money to have worse performance and then pre-conditioning them to believe that it is better. Only to then exile them if they do not agree with the findings of the paid shills or other people who have bought the story they are selling.
Maybe calm down a bit?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's why I said
"However those are a lot of assumptions."
If there's some measurable evidence to prove the first part is true I haven't seen it. Bob mentioned he had done level matched DBT tests. But likely just on himself. I have't seen those results.
no non no no.....the burden of proof is on you .........to demonstrate that when under controlled listening conditions you can reliably show that people think the badly measuring component is better.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
no non no no.....the burden of proof is on you .........to demonstrate that when under controlled listening conditions you can reliably show that people think the badly measuring component is better.
So very true, otherwise its just smoke

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So wait a second, you are saying that this site isn't objective enough because we aren't accepting the subjective bullshit spewed by what look to be paid reviewers of ****** products?
Because that is basically what you said.

Nope, that is basically what you concluded.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Maybe calm down a bit?
What's the matter, you no like unbridled enthusiasm?

jackass.jpg

IdiotCustomer

The DX7 does all of this and costs less than your budget. So why not just buy that consdiering the performance is nothing less than stellar?
Wow I checked out some specs, seems like this is what I should have bought to begin with. Thank you :) But where do I buy it outside of massdrop? Seems like the Amazon one is down
Edit
Nevermind I'm dumb, the original dx7 is not available but the dx7s is. Well time to save up some money. I don't feel good selling the jotunheim to anyone considering the problems so I guess it will just collect dust when I buy the dx7s

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wow I checked out some specs, seems like this is what I should have bought to begin with. Thank you :) But where do I buy it outside of massdrop? Seems like the Amazon one is down
Edit
Nevermind I'm dumb, the original dx7 is not available but the dx7s is. Well time to save up some money. I don't feel good selling the jotunheim to anyone considering the problems so I guess it will just collect dust when I buy the dx7s
Complain to schiit and they might take it back.
If you threaten them via pm sometimes they will take it back. Its worked for a friend of mine lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPING-DX...SB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-XU208/123049506330

^439$

Sadly yes they don't sell the original DX7 anymore and those of us who have them aren't willing to sell them :)

IdiotCustomer

Complain to schiit and they might take it back.
If you threaten them via pm sometimes they will take it back. Its worked for a friend of mine lol
I contacted schiit a couple of days ago. As I bought it from their European reseller they told me to contact them instead. So I did...they Basically said it must be something wrong with the wiring of my house and that it's a ground loop. I forwarded the thread and explained the issue but they just said they could take a look if a paid the shipping but that they certainly wouldn't find anything wrong. So yeah...I'm fucked

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I contacted schiit a couple of days ago. As I bought it from their European reseller they told me to contact them instead. So I did...they Basically said it must be something wrong with the wiring of my house and that it's a ground loop. I forwarded the thread and explained the issue but they just said they could take a look if a paid the shipping but that they certainly wouldn't find anything wrong. So yeah...I'm fucked
Chargeback your CC?

IdiotCustomer

That is always an excellent tactic.
If the above does not work then move up to dishonesty.
Already kind of did that. Or maybe not threatened I explained the issue and told them I was dissatisfied. I guess I'm too polite and gullible. The European reseller have this to say about returns

Attachments

• 811D5B4E-514D-4260-AC63-58B8437AF654.png
    811D5B4E-514D-4260-AC63-58B8437AF654.png
    518.8 KB · Views: 157
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In the original post, I addressed the fact atomicbob's measurements show the same results as mine. And how they don't paint a pretty picture of the performance of Schiit Yggdrasil.

Here is now a comparison of Jude at head-fi who likewise has called correctness of my measurements into question. This is a test of THD+N (harmonic distortion and noise) versus frequency. Lower values are better:

THD comparison.png

Once again we see that his measurements are essentially identical to mine (not surprising since we both use the same audio analyzer). What his graph once again is missing is competitive data to other DACs which I have in mind. In this case, the Topping DX7s which generates substantially lower noise and distortion than Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.

You can make any measurement look good by saying nice things about it and not have a point of reference. That is exactly what Bob Smith and Jude have done. If our aim is to inform in a highly competitive market, we better put these reference markers in there. Then the right picture, literally, emerges. Which sadly points to Schiit Yggdrasil simply not being competitive with other DACs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom