• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are McIntosh amplifiers worth it?

deadwood83

Actually, let me put it this way. My father bought his MAC4100 brand new in 1973 I think. It has never needed repair. There were a couple times the volume pots got scratchy, so we used it more and the problem went away. IT was purchased as a set with blue JBL Century 100 speakers and a Beogram 4300 TT. The Beogram was paired with a SS Carver stack (which has needed LOTS of repair) and still has some B&O EMM6 cartridges floating around.

That MAC4100 might outlive me. So if you like the sound and plan to keep it for ~50 years then sure the price is probably worth it. But I have never been in a modern McIntosh to see if they are as robust as the old ones.

As others said, they DO hold value exceptionally well, but will still lose out to inflation.

1663984407027.png

I would love to inherit that old 4100. My brother can have the whole Carver stack if I can nab the 4100 and Century 100s. I absolutely adore that amp.

Anonamemouse

If I were to spend that much money on an amp again I would buy a Bryston, but mostly because I don't like the McIntosh "bling factor".
As mentioned before, the value is in the perception. Technically they are basically all at the same plane.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd REALLY like to hear your take on this John, will you expound? In transparency, I'd especially like your brutally honest opinion on my MC 7300. Go ahead... I've lashed myself to the mast in willing anticipation to the storm you might unleash. Note: I'm the 2nd owner and it was serviced to factory spec.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were to spend that much money on an amp again I would buy a Bryston, but mostly because I don't like the McIntosh "bling factor".
As mentioned before, the value is in the perception. Technically they are basically all at the same plane.
I would agree Bryston is probably a modern equivalent for good performance and high build quality without the bling.

DMill

You could argue Mc makes the most iconic gear in audio. If found myself with 7k lying around and already had perfect speakers why not?

nebunebu

Is there a reason why there is no review of McIntosh gear on this site yet?

DMill

No one has sent one in. They are big heavy amplifiers and would cost quite a bit to ship. Amir will buy things once and awhile for testing, but they are also expensive, so unless he was wanting one for himself it wouldn't make much sense.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Because Amir does not recieve their gear to revise it. It is Up to users to senda him gear to test and Mac tends to be heavy, hence the shopping costs.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I would also love to see measurements for Mac gear, don't get me wrong. If only because they claim that they are an engineering-oriented manufacturer.

nebunebu

I would also love to see measurements for Mac gear, don't get me wrong. If only because they claim that they are an engineering-oriented manufacturer.
Yeah, would be fun to see!

Maybe next year there can a public funding (lottery) for a device majority would like to test and there after place it in a lottery for the participants.
But jokes aside, I've only heard so much about McIntosh but never experienced it in real life.

DMill

Yeah, would be fun to see!

Maybe next year there can a public funding (lottery) for a device majority would like to test and there after place it in a lottery for the participants.
But jokes aside, I've only heard so much about McIntosh but never experienced it in real life.
Stereophile tested one here. It looks quite good. You can spend less and get SOTA, but if you have the money and like the look of a Mc, why not?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just sold my McIntosh vintage stack for a very nice deal. I have never lost money on any of my McIntosh gear, new or old. McIntosh has survived the audio industry in a way that other companies have not, despite going through different ownership. I would liken the company to your own extended family. You wouldn’t agree 100% of the time with 100% of your family.

There are the flagship products which have state of the art engineering, adopting a specific philosophy in look feel and craftsmanship. The MC462 is as good as it measures and has a specific look that is either polarizing. You love or hate the look but do get premium reliable performance.

There are the trickle down products which have competent engineering that are intended to hit a target price point or customer request.

There are blingy products like the box with the logo which offer little value other than a marketing tool for dealers to add wiggle room to negotiation.

What you get from McIntosh is consistency and reliability. It’s no different from Accuphase.

Their product cycles are slower and their expertise is amplification and tuners over digital sources. In contrast, Accuphase has additional expertise with sources in comparison to McIntosh.

McIntosh solid state gear is notable for running cool as well. Their tubes are notable for being solid state sounding and rarely have catastrophic failures due to more conservative operation.

Their amplifier from the 1960s would still be solid today (and I just sold one in great working condition)
5AF7A577-21BC-4A64-B4AB-4527FDFCB500.png

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They have started building hypex-based amps, so at least we have a degree of quality on that.

Top Bottom