• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are McIntosh amplifiers worth it?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It depends...

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I really like mine too. 30 years old (MC 7300) and still sounds great... consider cost over the years of enjoyment... seems like a bargain.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, are they?
I would say a qualified yes…
-From very good to state of the art performance (MC462)
-Repairable
-Last a long time
-Hold their resale value incredibly well. I purchased a used MC252 for $2500 5 or 6 years ago and was checking and they are going for much more than that. It is rare for electronics to hold their value but if you purchase used, you very likely will not loose anything
-Look nice (subjective if you like the blue meter look)
Cons
Heavy due to most using transformers
I don’t care for the look of the newer ones with the large handles and are very heavy

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
an specs alone probably not

at a certain point, audio equipment becomes audio jewelry... the engineering behind a lot of McIntosh is cosmetic... I admit the glass front and meters really appeal to many people.

At the same time are they really *that* expensive for what you're getting? I think the MA7200/MAC7200 is a $7,500 usd amp... I dont think that's too much to pay for what is a piece of 'audio jewelry'. There's a heap more expensive out there. For the tech you're getting 200w x 2 and 70lb plus of steel and glass and made in one of the more expensive places to build stuff I dont think its a big ask.

IMO we're getting into silly territory... I think when stereo amps get this large heavy and expensive its getting over the edge of sanity but so is a $100k+ luxury vehicle or a $10,000 swiss watch...

deadwood83

Brand new? Probably not.

But I regularly listen to a MAC4100 feeding original JBL L100s and any good input makes for a really enjoyable listening session. It's pretty sublime. Would I buy one for myself? Absolutely not. I get slightly more enjoyment listening to a DX7 Pro feeding P308 MKII's (admittedly in a room 1/3 the size) for soooooo much less cost.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The vintage McIntosh stuff is great. Had a mc2125 that I bought for $1000, used it for 6 years and sold it for $2500. Your class D amps may spec better but will never appreciate like old McIntosh gear.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pygmy

Let's put it like this... their build quality is top notch, both physically and electronic design wise.
Yes, they *measure* better than cheaper gear.

On the other hand, consider this :

The NAD T758 V3I receiver had *awful* measurements on this site and was basically burned down to the ground.
Yet on the internet, most actual *owners* seem to be really happy with it.
The things that looked really bad in graphs on this site didn't apply to them as the bad things only showed up when pushing the receiver really loud, which most people hardly ever do. The Dirac Live support though is something those users actually *noticed*.

Are McIntosh amplifiers worth it?
That completely depends on what "it" is.
Mike Patton / Faith No More had it right when performing "Epic" - "It's it.. WHAT IS IT?".

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can find one of these grab it.

mc3500-mk-i.jpg

Top Bottom