• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Klipsch THX home theater speakers really this good?

gags11

Forum Donor
I’m trying to upgrade my HT speakers and have been doing some research.

I came across this review from Audioholics of the Klipsch THX ultra2 speakers. It looks really unbelievable to have a FR like that from Klipsch. I have never seen any reviewed HT speaker to have that flat of a FR. The attached picture is for Klipsch KL-525-THX and the link to the review below.

Anyone with any experience with Klipsch THX ultra in-wall speakers? I know it is not the same as the one in the review, but to me it suggests Klipsch THX is in another league compared to their other offerings.

Specialty, I’m looking to replace my surrounds and ceiling speakers and considering Klipsch THX-8000-L and Klipsch THX-5002-L.

EB31BEE3-5C5E-40A0-9D98-48FCEFB0EC46.jpeg

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor

I came across this review from Audioholics of the Klipsch THX ultra2 speakers. It looks really unbelievable to have a FR like that from Klipsch. I have never seen any reviewed HT speaker to have that flat of a FR. The attached picture is for Klipsch KL-525-THX and the link to the review below.

Anyone with any experience with Klipsch THX ultra in-wall speakers? I know it is not the same as the one in the review, but to me it suggests Klipsch THX is in another league compared to their other offerings.

Specialty, I’m looking to replace my surrounds and ceiling speakers and considering Klipsch THX-8000-L and Klipsch THX-5002-L.

View attachment 263860
Are those the box looking speakers? I heard they’re really good but pretty pricey

I think youthman had that as one his early HT. I’ve seen a full set on sale for a while on one of those audio retailers. If it’s the square box one but even at a discount was expensive

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On-axis response is borderline meaningless for three reasons.

1. Flat on-axis response is easy if you are halfway competent at crossover design.

2. Flat on-axis response is not always best. You want a smooth in-room response, which in some cases means sloping high frequencies up or down for the sake of your off-axis response.

3. Modern EQ/DSP allows on-axis response to be easily corrected, especially with AV receivers. Having a good radiation pattern and relatively high sensitivity is what you want for home theatre applications.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
E1CAA9B4-4EB1-490E-8CB8-E96F3ACC054E.png

Those graphs show 120 dB of range. Normally you’d like to see only about 50 to 60 dB. Anything looks flat when you zoom out that much.
I agree with that totally. Something to consider.

Also I thought you were looking at these, the 6000’s

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor

1. Flat on-axis response is easy if you are halfway competent at crossover design.

2. Flat on-axis response is not always best. You want a smooth in-room response, which in some cases means sloping high frequencies up or down for the sake of your off-axis response.

3. Modern EQ/DSP allows on-axis response to be easily corrected, especially with AV receivers. Having a good radiation pattern and relatively high sensitivity is what you want for home theatre applications.

I understand that radiation pattern is important for main channels, center channel or Hi-Fi music listening.

However, for surrounds speakers I thought narrow radiation may be best given the object based spatial mixes of Atmos in a dedicated HT..

I’m looking specifically for surrounds and surround back speakers.

Antisense

I understand that radiation pattern is important for main channels, center channel or Hi-Fi music listening.

However, for surrounds speakers I thought narrow radiation may be best given the object based spatial mixes of Atmos in a dedicated HT..

I’ve heard as well that wider field may not be the best for surrounds. I have klipsch ultra THX system with 3 kl-650 as lcr and kl-525 and ks-525, cdt5800 ceiling speakers, coupled with two rythmik subwoofers. I do not have any objective measurements to guide you about how they perform compared to other speakers. All I can say is compared to psb image speakers I had previously, these have worked very well for me for the last three years or so. I’m very pleased with the way they sound, and the imaging it produces for Atmos. I believe a more powerful amplifier than what I have will probably make it sound even nicer.

alex-z

Narrow radiation patterns can sound better for object based surround formats. But consistency is important, you want all your channels to behave in a similar fashion for smooth panning.

You also don't want the radiation pattern changing dramatically throughout the frequency range. That is true for both wide and narrow dispersion types.

fubarnow

THX Standards mean nothing to me for speakers.
Just something else for the masses to fret about.

Dal1as

Yes the THX Klipsch speakers are known to be solid. Unlike some of the other THX ratings the speaker ratings actually mean something where the speaker has to pass certain criteria. Dispersion, distortion, spl, frequency response both on and off axis, etc.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Which AV receivers out there allow for on-axis response to be corrected?

alex-z

Which AV receivers out there allow for on-axis response to be corrected?
Any model with adjustable DSP/EQ? Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dirac Live, Trinnov, ARC Genesis, etc.

You are changing the signal before it reaches the amplifier stage, and therefore the on-axis response of whatever speaker is connected.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any model with adjustable DSP/EQ? Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dirac Live, Trinnov, ARC Genesis, etc.

You are changing the signal before it reaches the amplifier stage, and therefore the on-axis response of whatever speaker is connected.

If I remember correctly none of these allow for correction only based on user input and you have to opt-in for brute forcing the in-room response to a target curve. Except maybe trinnov.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
THX Standards mean nothing to me for speakers.
Just something else for the masses to fret about.

Not really, IMHO. Thx reference levels are pretty demanding. Most HT speaker sold on the market, will likely fail this standard.

I may be mistaken, but these need to get to 100dB levels at listener position, which is not a small task.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Going back why I’m looking into Klipsch for my dedicated HT, is that I have tried B&W, KEF, Revel. These are great speakers, but in my HT, I need seamless 120db peak capability without compression.

Even my current, non THX Klipsch surrounds sound better than my late Revels and KEF

My 2-channel is KEF, love it. But they cannot go Loud enough for my HT without compressing.

Just an example of ability to play loud. These are my R/L main modified Klipsch RF7 iis playing really loud, not jus peak, but a FR sweep.

759F8555-E5FF-4A01-A317-02A031B546FB.png

Ignor higher frequency distortion, this was because the beryllium diaphragm was touching the mesh grill It was fixed, see below.

A8F1259F-FC80-4E25-9BB9-225A79DFD91E.jpeg

A8F1259F-FC80-4E25-9BB9-225A79DFD91E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Most of Hi-Fi speakers reviewed here show 96dB performance at 1 meter.

I am at least 2-4 meters away from my speakers in my HT. 96dB performance seems useless in this application, especially at THX standard levels.

Last edited:
OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
With the above said, I am goin to make a plea to Amir.

1. Can we measure HT receivers and processor SINADs with full DSP engaged?
I do not know anyone who turned off DSP when watching movies in a dedicated HT.

2. If speakers are designed for home theater, can we measure 106dB and 112 dB sweep?

PS: most High-end dedicated HT installations do not care about pure direct or musics, we care about performance when watching movies Atmos processing turned on.

fubarnow

Not really, IMHO. Thx reference levels are pretty demanding. Most HT speaker sold on the market, will likely fail this standard.

I may be mistaken, but these need to get to 100dB levels at listener position, which is not a small task.
My speakers can hit this level but
I have better sense than to listen at these levels.

Frontino

The woofer of the THX Ultra 2 series is superior than those of the Reference series.
post-43812-13819856356482.jpg

Top Bottom